Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: will changing cams, require changing strings?

Post Thanks / Like

Default will changing cams, require changing strings?

i have a 2004 jaguar with nitrous C cams on it. it's currently set at 29.5" draw, 55 pounds, and 57.5" string and 38.5" cable

I found another member willing to switch my C's for his B's which will allow me to get o my need 26.5" or 27" draw.

dropping the draw 3" from it's current state... will this require new string or cable?

"tech" at bass pro shop today told me i needed to find that out, and said i could be looking at another 80 bucks for strings if they had to be replaced also.

Post Thanks / Like

Going from C cam to B cam will only lose 2 inches in length. Hopefully, the draw at 29.5" is not on the shortest setting. If it is, B cams won't get you to that draw length. Also, when you "drop" from C cams to B cams you GAIN 10 lbs in draw weight if you use the same limbs. You won't need new cables but will need a new string (SHOOTING STRING). You should be able to get a shooting string from Hutch (my suggestion) same colors as your cables for $35 -$50 delivered. Just measure your present axle to axle (very important) to get the exact shooting string length you need. Just post your now ata (with C cams) and I or one of the guru's will give you the proper shooting string length.
    Addicted to Slayers or Slayr's, have more than one. Probably enjoy the mechanical side of archery the best. I have really enjoyed the articles and the stories on this site. I strive to help others with what little knowledge I have.

3. Thanks naptime thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

you're on the money.

it was even worse..

the guy i traded cams with, actually had a's not b's. good for me, gave me better range with the cams. however, I've since discovered that it added 20 pounds.

i had ordered a new string set, but placed the order on hold until I am able to get a set of limbs.

it's a 2004. guys on here said they should be 14" straight limbs. but they aren't. they are 16".

jake at martin confirmed that in 2004 the straight limbs were 16"

current limbs are 8m . Jake suggested 3m, 4m, or 5m

I have another thread with several pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a set of 16" camo 4h limbs.....
    Addicted to Slayers or Slayr's, have more than one. Probably enjoy the mechanical side of archery the best. I have really enjoyed the articles and the stories on this site. I strive to help others with what little knowledge I have.

Post Thanks / Like

Jay, haven't forgotten about ya. Last weekend of duck season. I'll get into the shop sometime this weekend and get the information off the limbs. I know yours is a Jag and mine is a Razor so I assume you'll want Jag limbs but I'll send pic's and information anyway.
    2010 Martin Firecat W/CATII's,TG5301 Sight, Martin Biscuit, Lynx 4 Quiver, Easton A/C/C's, Muzzy 100's

2009 Martin Warthog, Tru-Glo5301 Sights, Martin Biscuit, Lynx 4 Quiver, Easton A/C/C's, Muzzy 100's

2004 Martin Cougar Magnum W/Nitrous C-Cams, Tru-Glo5301 Sights, Martin Biscuit, Lynx 4 Quiver, Easton A/C/C's, Muzzy 100's

2004 Martin Razor W/Nitrous C's,TG5301 Sight, Martin Biscuit, Lynx 4 Quiver, Easton A/C/C's, Muzzy 100's

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Nap,

Charts for the 2004 Nitrous Jag show a 49" string for the A cams. 57 1/2" for the C cam. Cables are all the same at 38.5". With the A cam your longest draw setting should be about 27.5". A cam will fit you to a T. All you need is the right length string from Hutch. He makes good strings, and I don't say that lightly.
    Last edited by bfisher; 01-24-2014 at 08:43 PM.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Only and I mean only bad thing about A cam over C cam is you gain 20lbs of draw weight.

Post Thanks / Like

so I've learned :-)

dirt dart is sending me his limbs now so we can swap those since we swapped cams.

thanks james. I don't care if they say razor, jaguar, or ferry godmother, as long as we get both these bows back up and running :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you both. Old Martins never die, they are just rebuilt into something better.

11. Likes Arrow Splitter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

we didn't realize before that when we switched cams, i was gaining 20# and he was losing 20# !!