Thread: I'm confused

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm confused

What does brace height mean? All I can figure out is that the longer the better. Don't know exactly what it means.

How about 1 cam vs 2 cam? I think 1 cam is easier to keep in tune than 2 cam, but not sure.

What about string stretch? Is that really a problem?

All this new technical stuff is bewildering to me.

I am thinking about a new bow, my current is the wonderful Cougar II, but I sure like the higher letoff of more modern gear. I was looking at the single cam on the website.

Bluesman.

Post Thanks / Like

Brace height is the distance from the back of the grip to the string. Bows with more brace height are generally more forgiving than those with shorter brace height. Usually the longer the bow's axel to axel the longer the brace height. These (longer ata)bows are more controllable, and a mistake in form, grip, torque, or whatever is less noticeable than it would be with a short bow. Also, the longer brace height bows will be a tad slower than a shorter brace height, and in some cases a lot slower, depends on what you want.

Single cam bows are generally easier to draw and hold than dual cam bows, a little slower, easier to tune, and more forgiving. I personally think the dual cams shoot flatter but that's just from my experience with my bows, haven't seen that in writing.

String stretch can be minimized with proper care and waxing. The materials used in todays strings are excellent.

Technical stuff overwhelming? Go slow, read, ask questions, look at pictures, be patient, it takes a bit to learn the current lingo and tricks.

New bow? Shoot as many as possible. Both single cam and dual cam. I have found that you don't pick the bow it picks you. Sure, you have an idea of what you want but sometimes the fit (grip), or draw cycle, or noise will tell you the bows not for you.

Most important tip I can give you is to ask questions, on this forum the only stupid question is one not ask. The guys on here are top notch!!

Oh.... and have FUN with it. If it's not fun things get frustrating real fast.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

Brace height is the measurement from the string to the deepest part to the grip, where the web of your thumb and forefinger fit,, higher is more forgiving of shooter error, lower applies more power stroke , pushes the arrow longer.
    Single cam versus dual cam .......used to be that dual cams where harder to keep in sync than single camed bows, mostly due to string strech, but modern string materials have all but eliminated string strech, and making the question of dual versus single cams a shooter preference. I'm old school, if one is good, two is better, twin cams on my bows.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum! I see your questions have been answered, and all I have to add is a warm welcome. This is one of the best archery forums out there, no matter what model/brand you decide to purchase you'll find no BS answers here...

If you are interested in learning the mechanics of modern compounds, try reading Nuts & Bolts' pdf "Nuts and Bolts" on archerytalk... here is the link: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1399457 just grab the PDF file in the first post and enjoy!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Also wanted to welcome you to the forum! I too am new and the knowledge some of the guys on here have and are willing to share is great! Like NuttyNative said, best thing you can do is read up on these things the internet has a wealth of knowledge out there for us guys who are not up to speed with all the latest tech stuff. I am just getting back into bow hunting after 15+ years away from it and the bows out today are so different from the Bear I had then it is unreal.

Post Thanks / Like

I just downloaded the Nuts and Bolts, and this is great!!! The last time I looked at something anywhere like this was "Doctor your own Compound Bow by Emery Loiselle. Anybody remember him or the book? I just dug mine out. Can't believe I still have it! None the less, Nuts and Bolts is great. I put it on my desktop.
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

7. Likes Double S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, dual cams weren't the first of the fast, but then dual cams faded with the advent of the single. Fast? Try year 2000 and the Hoyt Viper with IBO of 328 fps and Mathews Black Max with 330 fps, both single cams. Back then those two bows were so fast and had brace heights of 5 1/2". Why people couldn't handle these bows were lack of understanding how to grip these bows and people always using draw lengths too long for them. Those of us that had all going for us saw speed that was awesome and accuracy second to none. Today proper grip technique is realized and taught all over internet. Way back when we didn't have ArcheryTalk and forums like this.

The fastest bows I have and second to none for accuracy have brace heights of 6 1/4" and 6 3/8". That their bh are under the magical 7" doesn't bother me one bit. One is short, ata of 33 1/2", and must be shot with "loving care." The 38 3/8" ata bow with it's 6 3/8" bh is far more forgiving.

Here's pic of what the short one can do - 34 yards.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

Although the main questions have been answered I'd like to add a bit to the Brace Height question.

The longer brace height will give a person a bit more clearance between bowstring and arm during the shot. In warm weather this usually is not a big deal as long as you don't torque the bow, but in cold weather when you need to be wearing heavy jackets that extra clearance can help.

Todays new bows with the parallel limbs, short ATA (axle to axle), with 7" and longer brace heights with blazing fast speeds is seen a lot.

Mike G

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Mike. That's what I was referring to; "lack of understanding how to grip these bows and people always using draw lengths too long for them. I use a camo compression sleeve or sock, whatever they call them. "
    Bow gripped properly, draw length correct for them and people would be surprised just how well they could shoot really short brace height bows and have "miles" of clearance come needing to wear coats.

I think PSE today has and promotes some of the shortest brace height bows.

I probably should have added, overbowed. Overbowed, people got use to putting too much hand into the riser grip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CLT Bluesman View Post
    I just downloaded the Nuts and Bolts, and this is great!!! The last time I looked at something anywhere like this was "Doctor your own Compound Bow by Emery Loiselle. Anybody remember him or the book? I just dug mine out. Can't believe I still have it! None the less, Nuts and Bolts is great. I put it on my desktop.
    Emery Loiselle is one not noted like many others of the times. Why he is not mentioned today is beyond me.

Nuts&Bolts, Alan. The man is knowledgeable far and beyond. I have his tune manual. Rarely do I use it. You'd have to read my Tuning Tip Post to understand where I come from. I don't go to the lengths Alan has in his book. I like simple.
    Don't get me wrong. I like Alan, but I wouldn't ask him how to nock a arrow as the answer would run on forever, in broken sentences, and I wouldn't need the pictures he'd surely submit.

Okay, there is information galore on how to tune a bow, but how far do you have to go in tuning a bow? If by ontarget7 (Shane) and nuts&bolts (Alan) you need it all. BUT! Alan finally "let the cat out of the bag" just recently. He stated; "With field points you can get away with murder." Oh yes, him did say it. I can put up the link....