Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: string diagram for nitrous cams

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElkSlayer View Post
    those A cams are worth $100 especially with the mods... limbs not sure what you can get from them $50- 100 depending on quailty . bow may be worth more in parts . hate to see you lose out ... what would you want for the riser we may be interested
    I'm gonna hold onto hope and see what limbs will run me. I really like this bow, and now that I've got BLOOD, sweat, and TEARS into it, I really feel like it's meant to be mine. lol.

that, or it's destined to forever be a love hate relationship

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I read the original post and stayed on the side lines. Maybe I was having a brain fart. At any rate, the guys are right. If you went from C cams to A cams then you sure did jump up about 20#. No wonder you couldn't draw it. If you are dead set on selling the bow I'd put the original cams back on. There may be some idiots left in this world, but you'd be able to sell a 70# bow a lot quicker than a 90# one. And hang onto the A cams for a little while. As said, they are like gold bars these days.

It's a shame things like this happens, but that's why I always wonder why people buy xxxxx bow and then get on the internet and ask whether they made a good choice or not. Always better to ask before plunking down hard earned cash. Think about this next time, whether it be a Martin bow or not. We're always willing to help here.

Had to edit this. I'd like to see some pics of the bow as you have it strung. Maybe I'm missing something, but you did say that you reset the bow to 55#, right. It also sound like your cables are not the right length, thus the funny cam orientation. I'd just like to see it to make sure.
    well, i made an even trade for the cams. my c's for dirt darts a's. so no going back to those now. and if I can get limbs, then I'll need the a's anyway. I don't WANT to sell it. but, if i can't get limbs, and I can't draw it back, then it'll be no good to me.

The sad thing is, I THOUGHT i had done enough research on the bow before buying it. I'm brand spanking new, still haven't shot an arrow yet. I found it locally on craigslist. not a scratch on the bow. it's in perfect shape. bow, hard plano case, 11 arrows, 11 field tips, 4 muzzy broadheads, HHA single pin sight, fits me release, and a few other items. all for 160.00

before buying it I confirmed that it could be adjusted down to at least 26 inches. and the catalog showed that it could go down to 24. and we figured it needed around 60 pounds. and this was 55-70

i spent three days reading about jaguars and their reputation as well as martins reputation, before deciding to get it.

what i didn't know was that it would need new cams to change the draw length. and then i would need new strings because of the new cam. and once i managed to get those, No one at martin, or the forums, or the catalog, or manual said anything about the draw weight changing by changing cams.

no doubt it's my newbie mistake though. i should have gone into the local shop and tried out some bows, and let them talk me into a new bow, or at the very least, a used bow that was fit for me.

oh well, I'm sure learning a lot now !!!

i'm a hard learner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I read the original post and stayed on the side lines. Maybe I was having a brain fart. At any rate, the guys are right. If you went from C cams to A cams then you sure did jump up about 20#. No wonder you couldn't draw it. If you are dead set on selling the bow I'd put the original cams back on. There may be some idiots left in this world, but you'd be able to sell a 70# bow a lot quicker than a 90# one. And hang onto the A cams for a little while. As said, they are like gold bars these days.

It's a shame things like this happens, but that's why I always wonder why people buy xxxxx bow and then get on the internet and ask whether they made a good choice or not. Always better to ask before plunking down hard earned cash. Think about this next time, whether it be a Martin bow or not. We're always willing to help here.

Had to edit this. I'd like to see some pics of the bow as you have it strung. Maybe I'm missing something, but you did say that you reset the bow to 55#, right. It also sound like your cables are not the right length, thus the funny cam orientation. I'd just like to see it to make sure.
    here's some pics...

this is with the C cams, and everything working just fine, albeit too long a draw for me..

55 pounds, c cams, 29" draw, 38.5" cables, 57.5" string

top c cam

c cam before 1.jpg
    c cam before 2.jpg

bottom c cam

c cam before 3.jpg
    c cam before 4.jpg

bow, with c cams, in working order

bow with c cam before.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

and then, here is the bow with the A cams and cables. there is no string, because it snapped. so there is virtually no bend in the limbs, and the cams are pointing the wrong direction since there is no string to pull them down.

top A cam

top a cam after 1.jpg
    top a cam after 2.jpg

bottom A cam

bottom a cam after 1.jpg
    bottom a cam after 2.jpg

and the bow with A cams and cables installed.

bow after.jpg

martin specs call for the same 38.5 cable for all three cam sizes, and only a change in the string.

the strings i tried last night were 57" and 55" both longer than the required 49"

with the first string, the 57, the cams looked almost the same as they do right now. pointed in clearly the wrong direction.

the second string, the 55", also the one that snapped, had the cams both pointing to the rear, but not towards each other.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, as my son ( Elkslayer ) mentioned, dirt dart now has the reverse problem, his Razor is now going to be 20#'s lighter draw weight, simpelest thing to do would be to trade limbs as well. I'm real sorry that I did'nt read your post before you had made the trade, or I'd have told you what to expect.By the time I saw you post the trade was done. Contact dirt dart, and direct him to this thread, so that he will know what he's in for, and trade limbs with him. That will bring both bow back to their respecitive original draw weights, he has the limbs you need, and you have the limbs he needs. Although differnt risers may need slightly differnt limb deflections to achieve the same draw weight.
    If I understand your last post correctly, the C cams need a 57" string, the B cams need a 55" string, and the A cams need a 49" string, on your Jaguar riser, is that correct?
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 01-17-2014 at 11:22 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

6. Thanks naptime thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good going 4x5. Maybe all isn't lost yet. Naptime, have patience brother. This might work out yet. And FYI you don't need pics on how to put the rigging on. You have the cables routed right. Now you just need a string. One other thing to commit to memory. Your limbs need to be 14" long, which I'm hoping is the case with Dirtdart.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

8. Thanks naptime thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

we've been emailing today. and he is up for a limb trade as well, if everything in this post is correct.

still haven't heard back from Martin yet.

just trying to confirm if our limbs are interchangeable

he has a 2004 razor 55-65 a cams

I have a 2004 jaguar 55-70 c cams

we've already swapped cams. so if everything here is correct, i've gone up and he's gone down. and swapping should fix the issue.

but, do the razor and jaguar use the same limb.

the last thing i want is for us to swap and then we're both still dead in the water.

and yes, my jag with c cams needed 57.5" string and with a cams needs 49" string.

i have a string set being made, and the maker has put the order on hold until I get this all sorted out.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, they're interchangable.Back in 2004, Martin had two differnt limbs, 14" straight and 17" Elite, since both the Razor and the Jaguar where hunting bows, they both used the 14" straight limbs. If you and DirtDart would take pics of your limbs and email them to each other, you could be sure.
    His Razor would be a 55-70# bow, since Martins have a 15# adjustment range, same as your Jaguar.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 01-17-2014 at 12:42 PM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

11. Thanks naptime thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

now i am 100% confused..

14" straight. or 17" elite..

guess what... mine are in the middle !!! 15 7/8" straight

IMG_2882.jpg
    IMG_2884.jpg
    IMG_2885.jpg
    IMG_2886.jpg
    IMG_2887.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

aaaand, the moment we've all been waiting for......

drumroll please.....

IMG_2888.jpg

go figure !!

and let me just interject for a moment, that I REALLY appreciate everyone's help with this situation. You'd think that at 42 I'd know to ask questions, spend later.. but, no, they didn't teach that class at my school!