Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: string diagram for nitrous cams

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-the-snake View Post
    This is all good to hear...

Out of my own curiosity, I have never heard of or seen a limb deflection number higher than 5...so if 8m gives you around 90# draw, with A cams, you could build a bow for "dangerous game" right?

I kind of wish Martin offered 80# as a limb choice
    I have a set of 6H limbs that will give my current project about 90+ lbs of draw weight, I went with 3M limb. 8H would have been over 100lbs. I also have another bow with 10H limb (16" limbs) but it only maxes out at 87. Changing to a Z cam with the 10H limbs would give me bow with about 95+ lbs of draw because they deflect the limbs a bit more on the draw. Changing cams can significantly alter the draw characteristics of a bow as this thread has proven, kind of interesting lesson.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting for sure. Just goes to show how customizable Martin used to be...

Post Thanks / Like

Still are customizable...on the older bows. Making up a Tigress with 13" square tip modified limbs (lol in case you are wondering..reduced the thickness by .085) and extra ata over what would be normal to get down to granddaughter's 20-25 lb draw. Custom strings made by bowdepot's beautiful daughter and wrist sling by 2nd beautiful daughter (bowdepot's) and she will be set. I have no idea what the draw weight will be...gonna be interesting. Pics will be posted if just one forum person asks, lol.
    Addicted to Slayers or Slayr's, have more than one. Probably enjoy the mechanical side of archery the best. I have really enjoyed the articles and the stories on this site. I strive to help others with what little knowledge I have.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm asking

5. Thanks mxtuner1, Arrow Splitter thanked for this post
    Likes mxtuner1, Arrow Splitter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will be looking for the Tigeress, was wondering about your plans for the 13" limbs. On my Cougar III project, with the 16" 4M limbs and the C nitrous cams, will the shoot string be 61" and the split string be 42.25" ? I'm basing this on the 2005 Nitrous chart for the M-108, or will that only give me about 53#s? The 2004 Nitrous chart gives the same lenghts for the M-2000 Cougar III, but doesn't give limb defelections. Inquiring minds want to know..
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

7. Likes mxtuner1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Will be looking for the Tigeress, was wondering about your plans for the 13" limbs. On my Cougar III project, with the 16" 4M limbs and the C nitrous cams, will the shoot string be 61" and the split string be 42.25" ? I'm basing this on the 2005 Nitrous chart for the M-108, or will that only give me about 53#s? The 2004 Nitrous chart gives the same lenghts for the M-2000 Cougar III, but doesn't give limb defelections. Inquiring minds want to know..
    On your Cougar III with the 16" limbs...order your shooting string with 3/4" loops, 59 5/8" long, and Hutch knows the serving length. The cables should be 40 5/8" long. Of course for shoot through 4 cables, standard cable rod 2. This would be a 1" under factory spec (39 1/8" ata) Cougar III and should give 8 MORE lbs draw weight and the brace should be slightly more than 7 inches. I figure the draw weight max at 62 lbs. JIM
    Addicted to Slayers or Slayr's, have more than one. Probably enjoy the mechanical side of archery the best. I have really enjoyed the articles and the stories on this site. I strive to help others with what little knowledge I have.

Post Thanks / Like

Also - when tightening the limb bolts, when getting near bottom or max setting, just barely touch bottom don't crank it down. Cranking causes the limbs to flex like a "U" (not as bad as pictured but for idea and illustration only) and they will split. Take care of your limbs, and they will last years and years. Shoot a few arrows overcranked ...and here comes splitsville.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mxtuner1 View Post
    Of course you have figured out that you have 16" straight limbs. Of all Martin limbs, they are the hardest to come by. 16" won't swap with 14" unless you get all new strings and cables and your draw length will be shorter with the 14" limbs, of course. I have a set of 4(M or H) can't remember 16" and I could figure out the string lengths for you. 16" are unique that they have the same draw length ranges as the 17" elite limbs, but with a shorter axle to axle. Probably better for hunting than the elites. Of course also the Martin pro's told you if you swap "A" cams for "C" the guy with "C" cams ending on his bow his bow draws 20 lbs less and the guy who's bow ends up with the "A" cams goes up 20 lbs on draw weight. Like the man said, same cables just different shooting string lengths. But we Martin fans are here to help. Just give us time to reply.
    The force is strong with this one.........................

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    The force is strong with this one.........................
    It sure is, Obiewan.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade