Thread: Newbie from Wisconsin with a sight question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie from Wisconsin with a sight question

Hi, I am new to the sight and bow hunting. I am right handed, but left eye dominant. I found a sight that is supposed to fix fix problem. So I was wondering if anybody uses or has tried the Perry's No Peep Sight?
    Thank you for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot with two eyes open. It's made me a better 3D shooter and hunter. I started shooting with two eyes open due to a little target panic some years back. I shoot a achery exterm 5 pin primal. I found out that the brighter the better on pins with two eyes open. The primal is very bright and it won't break the bank.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

3. Likes TEN RING liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not used the Perry no peep so I have no input on that. .. However my dad is right handed left eye dominant and had to learn to shoot left handed to compensate (rifle). I sometimes shoot with my left eye closed because it seems in certain light situations it helps me focus. So you can either switch hands or get by shooting with an eye closed.... Oh and welcome to the forum!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    I have not used the Perry no peep so I have no input on that. .. However my dad is right handed left eye dominant and had to learn to shoot left handed to compensate (rifle). I sometimes shoot with my left eye closed because it seems in certain light situations it helps me focus. So you can either switch hands or get by shooting with an eye closed.... Oh and welcome to the forum!
    I am similar to this, only reversed... Left handed and Right eye dominant. I shot left handed bows for YEARS until I found Archery Talk and other forums like this one. I found a thread talking about getting young archers going and the topic of eye dominance came up. After doing the "tests" on my little boy with no clear results, I got him Martin Tiger for the obvious reason of shoot through for safety as well as being ambidextrous.

I didn't stop with him as far as eye testing, I tried it on myself. I often had wondered why I couldn't get the hang of shooting with both eyes open.... low and behold, I'm a southpaw with RIGHT eye dominance!! I had just gotten a new bow and didn't really want to sell it, but that's just what I did. It's AMAZING the difference it makes to be able to have both eyes open. I wish I had figured it out long ago, but oh well...

Anyway, I would suggest trying to shoot lefty if you can. Go to your local shop and tell them what's up, they SHOULD do all they can to let you shoot a lefty bow and try to get you setup the way you oughta be. It's just my opinion, but I think the PNP claiming to fix this issue is a gimmick. Just my thoughts.... take it for what it's worth.

Oh, and I should add, I haven't tried this particular sight but I HAVE tried to go peepless several times. I always go back to a peep.... just works better for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys for your advice. I like this forum. I ordered the Perry's No Peep with a Copper John Mark 3 with Dovetail. I talked to Perry himself and watched some reviews on his No Peep. This set up gives me the option of shooting with my left eye or both eyes open.
    I am buying a used bow that is right handed. That is the reason I was wanting to find out about the Perry's No Peep.
    Thank you for your help everybody, I'll let you know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

I too am a righty that is left eye dominant. When I was a kid and shot bows I always shot with both eyes open and thought I did pretty good. Well 15 years later I just got back into archery and bow hunting and I bought a RH bow and started shooting. I got half decent and was hitting targets but I was not able to group arrows consistently like I wanted. I tried an eye patch as someone recommended over the left eye so I could look through the peep sight but that was just to uncomfortable. I made the choice to sell my bow and buy a new LH bow ('13 Nemesis) and it was the best decision I ever made. It actually feels more natural to me to shoot left handed and there was no real adjustment period. A few shots in with the sight set up and I shoot more accurate than I ever did RH. As powerlineman said, your local shop should be willing to let you try a lefty and see how that feels for you, that is if the sight you bought doesn't work out.
    Genesis 21:20 - And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.

Post Thanks / Like

The heck of it is, you can actually change dominant eyes in your lifetime... Your dominant eye is the one that sees/focuses the better of the two, so all it takes is deterioration or damage to your dominant eye and BAM, your other eye takes over.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    The heck of it is, you can actually change dominant eyes in your lifetime... Your dominant eye is the one that sees/focuses the better of the two, so all it takes is deterioration or damage to your dominant eye and BAM, your other eye takes over.
    Ohhhh great!!!! I'll be back to shooting lefty someday!! Hahahahaha!

Post Thanks / Like

True story; take a pair of sunglasses, and put some scotch tape or use marker or something to make it so that the lense for your dominant eye is blurry but you can still see through it... and then do your dominant eye check. You'll switch dominant eyes...
    Last edited by wscywabbit; 01-21-2014 at 04:20 PM.