Thread: City Deer vs Country Deer

Post Thanks / Like

Default City Deer vs Country Deer

I was sitting in the treestand this morning mulling over the above question. In NC we are in the "Urban Archery Deer" Season. It is for participating towns and cities to knock back some of the urban deer. I am within the city limits of Kannapolis, NC on about a 10-15 acre piece of woods bordered my a neighbourhood on one end and a busy street and golf course on the other . It is weird watching joggers jog by at o dark thirty, watching traffic, police cars, kids playing and shrieking, basketballs bouncing somewhere in the distance. Just weird. Yet, the squirrels are still here, the red headed woodpecker still drums the trees, the bluebirds look pretty, just a real study in contrasts.

As far as the deer goes, have not seen one in three partial days of hunting. They are eating the apples and corn I have put out, and there are a couple scrapes, one fairly fresh. So I know they are here. Probably nocturnal.

No matter it is good to be in the woods, no matter if I see one or not. It is also fun watching the guy across the street play with his van, then play with his old time 3 wheeler, then back to the van, and so forth. Hearing the machinery on the golf course. Just kinda different from the farm land I usually hunt.

Urban Deer. Conjures up images of deer in red or blue bandannas!

Bluesman
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

2. Thanks naptime thanked for this post
    Likes Arrow Splitter, naptime liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'd say that would be different. Where I hunt I don't see cars and hardly ever see people, so it would be an adjustment to hunt where you are, but I'd do it.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have hunted the mountains above Los Angles almost all my life, it is a weird feeling to be stalking a big Mule Deer and hearing the cars running down the drag strip at the Winter National in Pomona Ca.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL nice. I'm with you though, it would be good to just be out in the woods.... I'm stuck at work Good luck!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

6. Likes Arrow Splitter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Farm land, U.S.A. here. Planes, trains and automobiles...That was movie, wasn't it? Illinois 100 is about a mile from our house, so it the train tracks. The county road borders the entire east and northeast of our property. I've been skunked and then I've killed out in 5 minutes. I never spend more than 2 hours in any of our deer stands. Might be 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening. Did fall sleep in our big stand and walked home in near dark....
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself