Thread: a little target practice

Post Thanks / Like

Default a little target practice

so, with the Jaguzor temporarily out of commission, again, I headed out to my tiny range in my shop to fling some arrows with the bowtech again.

now, I have 3 bag targets and stands setup in the backyard.. 10, 20, and 30 yards. but.. with almost 2 feet of drifts in the backyard, and another 7" of fresh snow over the past few days.. i have my choice of going to the local indoor range, and shooting 10 or 20 yards for 8 bucks an hour.... or just go in my screen printing shop, and i get 15 yards to play with. for free.

i'll take free.

so, today i printed out some 4 spot targets, and setup at my max of 15 yards..

instead of groups, i focused on shooting the way you would for 5 spot. 1 arrow per target, per round. btw: i have it setup as 4 instead of 5, just to give my target a break for a bit from those same spots I've been shooting. lol.

so, 1 arrow per target. i shot 10 rounds. 40 arrows. 10 arrows per target.

i notice a few things..

i still have a little bit of spread, i can see the pin floating ever so slightly. every now and then i forget to back tension, and i catch myself mentally squeezing the trigger on the release. every time i consciously know i did it, the arrow is off placement.

i also find it strange that the top targets are virtually spot on, and consistent. but the bottom targets are consistently a little low.. odd.

i also find great pleasure in the fact that i shot 40 arrows,
    but i only count about 16 holes
    and all are 5 pointers :-)
    i honestly couldn't tell you how many were x's though.
    maybe tomorrow i'll keep a pen at the target and do a 5 spot with scoring.
    2004 Martin Jaguazor 60# 27" Twisted Archer strings. Trophy Ridge Revolution rest. Trophy Ridge Pursuit sight.
    2004 Bowtech Pro40 Wheely. 60# 27" VaporTrail strings. Trophy Taker fall away rest. HHA Optimizer lite sight.
    http://www.ToledoTees.com

Post Thanks / Like

2004 Martin Jaguazor 60# 27" Twisted Archer strings. Trophy Ridge Revolution rest. Trophy Ridge Pursuit sight.
    2004 Bowtech Pro40 Wheely. 60# 27" VaporTrail strings. Trophy Taker fall away rest. HHA Optimizer lite sight.

3. Likes Arrow Splitter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Me; Top spots, you could go up a tad and then bring in your bottom spots. BUT, tomorrow may bring something different, so a judgment call on adjusting your pin.

Back tension, it's rough to keep back tension in gear for every shot with trigger type releases. I have horizontal shift between back tension (dead on) and triggering (right).

??? I think, by NFAA rules, the bottom edge of the target is to be no less than 16" to the floor. Something I've always hated about the NFAA rule book...you can't what you want when you want it....
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

5. Thanks naptime thanked for this post
    Likes naptime liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Going left tp right and top to bottom I notice the same thing Sonny has. Target #1 it looks like everything just a little low. Target #2 seems to be good. The bottom two everything is low. I would adjust your sight down about 2 yards, which shouldn't change anything dramatically, but would bring a few more closer to the middle. I like to set my sight so I'm about 1/2" high in the X-ring just in case I happen to drop out of the shot. Here again, you were shooting 15 yards so using a 20 yards sight setting your arrows are most likely still rising after leaving the bow and haven't hit the high point yet. But hey, some practice is better than nothing what with the stupid weather we're had this winter. Fortunately I'm only about 6 miles from my club with indoor facilities so weather isn't much of a bother for me.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

7. Thanks naptime thanked for this post
    Likes naptime liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Adjusted my sight a little. Printed out an actual 5 spot. And shot a full round of 60..

If i understand scoring properly, anything in white is 5 points. Grey is 4 points. X's are for tie breakers..

So, 60 arrows, I shot a 300/300 with 52x's.

photo 1.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Top image should have been rotated 90deg right.

Looks like I can still shift up a few more hairs

Post Thanks / Like

Good shootin .. did a quick search and your are right any thing in the white is 5 outer black/blue is 4 and X are the desiding factor..
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Nice shooting.... Most people getting shooting 5 spots and getting to looking or wanting to see the X and don't realize it. And this isn't a problem, but then you need to adjust your sight to give some elevation.

Probably my best shooting came with stacking the pin with wanted impact or some call it the figure 8 method of sighting.

Good shots and...Well, good shots. Us mortals though need something to hang on to as that dang pin wanders all over trying keep it centered in the bull's eye. So stacking or figure 8 works. And then Steve Boylan once told me he lets his dot settle in the bottom of the bull's eye, which is the same difference. Steve amazes me not only because he is a good indoor shooter, Senior Pro, but he actually shoots the Vegas face better than the 5 spot.... Me, I'd soon shoot 80 yards than that dreaded Vegas face. I'd at least have a excuse
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself