Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Martin design and sell a crossbow?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Should Martin design and sell a crossbow?

I was picking up some crossbows the other day at GM, and I really did not like the way they felt. I was thinking, "now suppose Martin designed one".

I personally do not like them. I have an old Browning from back in 1984 or thereabouts, and I just do not like the cocking, and to me the inherent unsafetyness of the deal. I inherited it from my Dad, and it is a pain. I believe it was one of the first compound crossbows. I do not fool with it much. But as I get older a crossbow might be a viable option. Also, they are selling like hotcakes. Here in NC at the local bow shop, they jump off the shelves.

I know if I designed one, what I would like. I would like a forend that is longer than the current offerings, I would like a no fail guard that keeps fingers away from the rail. I would like an adjustable stock. A good crisp trigger. A anti-dry fire of some type. And less poundage where legal. No more for sure than 150lbs. Narrow ATA. A nice scope. Maybe even a bi-pod.

Anyway, just thinking, this could really be a big seller for Martin. I just read where Bowtech just bought Excalibur crossbows.
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I deplore their use I don't hunt any more (lost the desire) I still see where there is a great demand, and growing, so whatever it takes to make a buck, put more people to work, and keep a company making money is OK with me. Afterall, I can't sit back and play that I am holier than thou. I don't make the laws. I might not agree with them, but have no ill feelings with those who would use them to their advantage. One advantage to more people using them is that they are at least hunters and can voice their desires to counter the anti's.

Bluesman, what you would like to design is already available, albeit quite expensive. Ten Point makes crossbows with all the features you seek with the exception of the lower draw weight.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I feel about like Barry. And the Ten Point, just a awesome crossbow, though models of line may be different. A friend has a Ten Point, went with 3 glow dots sight and it is exceptional accurate. Though it has the pulley type cocker it is far easier to use than the Barnnett crank cocker. Another friend has the Barnett and though accurate I'd use it for boat anchor, I like the Ten Point that much better.
    Draw weight of cross bows need to be more than compounds. One, draw length is quite is quite short, like 10 to 12 inches and 17 inches being the longest. Because of the "horse power" the need of a heavier arrow. Most cross bolts start at 422 grs.
    Most are all anti-dry fire, most come with a safety, most have finger/thumb guards, but consider optional equipment and have to be ordered.
    Yes, most have finger/thumb grooves, but doesn't stop the sTupId from doing the sTupId. Sticking the fingers or thumb up is guaranteed to shatter finger/thumb bones or just plain have them taken off. S.C. had a cast on his arm up to his elbow for his shattered thumb. A guard that flanged outward would have contained his wayward thumb.

On the upside, many can not reach state requirements when it comes to draw weight of traditional or compounds (40 pounds in my state). And then, some have such short draw length they are down on horse power, though I opt that accuracy is best...
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

I just thought it would be a way for Martin to reintroduce themselves an create some company buzz. Yes, Tenpoint seems to be at the top of the game. They are high though. If I was to buy one today, I would go with them. But if I had the opportunity to buy a Martin brand I would go that way.
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the KodaBow website, man they sure have some nice crossbows. Real "tactical" looking. They have adjustable stocks, and pistol grip forends. Also Ruger invested in them. As nice as they look, they are still a crossbow, and not a real bow like we use. We are the real Indians.

Post Thanks / Like

I think if they were to get everything else in order and have a stable business plan and few years of success, it might be nice to see one come down the road. They have gained a lot of popularity in recent years, I would probably wait and see if that maintains before putting out a product that would end up sitting on shelves.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Drop on this. I think once they reestablish Martin as a bow to be dealt with, then they could look at the crossbow market if they wanted to. Give them 2-3 years of making bows as great as they once did, and then expand from there. Just need to concentrate on one thing to get started back up though. Kinda like Savage rifles.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. You know the old saying, "Too many chefs can spoil the soup"? Same can apply here. I've seen too many businesses that expanded beyond their core business and ended up going bankrupt. I'd say Martin has a core business to get in order first. A couple years, at least. Besides, I'm not in the mood to add another sub-forum here yet.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, Barry. Martin gets on feet their and running, then maybe look at crossbows. I'd just as soon they leave crossbows to others. How big name bow makers are into crossbows? PSE and ?????
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

They have enough on their plate, I'd leave well enough alone till they get back in the game and score a few points with the public!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com