Thread: Target Arrow Selection

Post Thanks / Like

Default Target Arrow Selection

Been looking on the net all day trying to figure out what arrows to buy for my first recurve bow and I now am in information overload territory so I will ask on this forum in hopes of gaining some clarity.

I am going to be ordering a Martin Diablo/Panther which is a 62" bow with 30# draw weight. I am 6' tall with a 29" draw length and will be using this bow for recreational shooting only - probably in the 20-50 yard range to begin with.

Is there a simple calculator that can tell me what arrow to buy? I want to start with something ready-to-shoot out of the box before I think about doing my own assembly. Is there a supplier who handles ready-to-shoot?

Post Thanks / Like

I would look at Easton's Arrow Selection chart (downloadable) to get close to a proper spine. Once you have that you can choose from any of the various arrow manufacturers. Depending on tip weight and such, I'm guessing something like a 500 spine with 85 to 100 grain tip. 80gr glue-in if just for target work. I like to use inserts and screw in tips simply because it allows me to play with different weight points.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow selection has been on odyssey for me. The closest I have come is with carbon express quantum's 700. With 4 inch fletching. Had them made and ordered from Lancaster I believe. They should be about 1/2 inch to one inch shorter and would probably right on. You can read my posts on here about trying to find arrows that work. Lots of the charts are wrong for recurves. Google, carbon express charts, seem to be the closest. They are the only ones, that I have found with good 600 -800 spine over 29 inches without going way up in cost. I have some 600 spines that are much more fragile than my 700 spine Carbon Express arrows. More narrow arrows in the same spine seem to mean thicker carbon walls. Half-in inserts are used on the thinner arrows and they function the same. I like inserts cause tips hit rocks, and you can make adjustments with lighter or heavier tips. I also like fletching over vanes.
    Good luck in your quest. Oh whenever I order arrows I always order two unfletched to see how they are flying.

Post Thanks / Like

Around a .700 spine should work with a 30# draw weight. You mentioned a 29" draw length, if that is with a compound/release you might be about an inch shorter with a recurve. If so a 1716 aluminum full length with 85-100 grains points should be close; or maybe an 1816 with a little more weight up front, especially of your DL is longer than 28" which will add a couple pounds of DW. With carbons something like a 15-35 should be close, or the CX arrows mentioned above, also the CX Heritage 75s. Three Rivers Archery sells fletched arrows and will cut/install inserts.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba