Thread: First bow decision - Saber or Diablo?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default First bow decision - Saber or Diablo?

Getting ready to pull the trigger on my first recurve bow. I will be using it for target/recreational shooting only - no hunting.

Thoughts on the differences between the Saber & Diablo?

I am 61 years old in reasonable shape...except the 30 lbs my doc wants me to lose. I am 6' tall with a 28" pull length. My local club has an archery range that is up to 50 yards plus an area with 3D targets so I will not be shooting anything longer than that.

I am planning on starting out with 30# limbs but could also use some advice on what arrows to use.

Probably more questions after I learn more about the sport but any other info you feel important will be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2013 diablo

I am 66 and I got a diablo bow this year. I am 6" and draw 28 inches too. It took a bit before my draw length was measured correctly. I have written a few posts on my diablo td. Also a good bit about my arrows. I am on my third set. Good luck with it I am enjoying mine everyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardneck View Post
    Getting ready to pull the trigger on my first recurve bow. I will be using it for target/recreational shooting only - no hunting.

Thoughts on the differences between the Saber & Diablo?

I am 61 years old in reasonable shape...except the 30 lbs my doc wants me to lose. I am 6' tall with a 28" pull length. My local club has an archery range that is up to 50 yards plus an area with 3D targets so I will not be shooting anything longer than that.

I am planning on starting out with 30# limbs but could also use some advice on what arrows to use.

Probably more questions after I learn more about the sport but any other info you feel important will be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Stevtech,
    I had my wife re-measure my draw and it is almost 29" instead of the 28" I had self-measured. Do you think the 64" Saber would be a better fit for me than the 62" Diablo/Panther? I like the looks of the Diablo/Panther more but want to make sure I get the right fit too.
    Also - what strings and arrows have you found work the best?

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea because I have never shot a Saber although I was considering it when I bought the Diablo sight unseen.
    I have a as mentioned been through 4 strings and I am on my third set of arrows. My present set of arrows is Carbon Express predator II 700. My unfletched arrows shoot about 2-3 inches right of my fletched arrows at 20 yards, 4 inch feathers with a 75 grain point. I think if my arrows where a half inch to one inch shorter I might be right on.
    I think you might go to Carbon Express web site and look at the charts. Charts, computer programs and advice all seem different as I have found.
    In selecting a bow the most important thing to not get to heavy a bow there are lots of used heavy bows for sale.
    I was going through strings every 2 or three weeks. The string I have
    now has lasted 6 months of daily use. It is starting to show wear. I leave my bow strung almost all the time. The string shows no sign of stretching over the months I have twisted it about 12 times to keep the brace the same. I got it from extreme bow strings. A green and black flemish twist with material recommended by the folks at Extreme bow strings. Once again I can't say it is best just the best I have found. If I had been on this sight sooner I probably would have gone the Hitch n string. But my first dacron string from extreme bow string. They asked me to send pics of where it wore. They then offered to repair it for free even though they pointed out that some of the wear was because it was hitting my arm.
    The string that has lasted and done so well is TS Plus it is an upgrade from Dacron. See my other posts for sum things I did that my have helped the string last.
    I hope I have helped answer your questions and not just added to the confusion.