Thread: Shooting Up, Down, and Very Close Up at 3D Tournaments

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shooting Up, Down, and Very Close Up at 3D Tournaments

I'm sure this has been covered before but can't seem to find the answer via the search function. At a 3D event, are there rules of thumb for shooting an elevated target a dozen or more feet high; a target that is down in a gulch; and one that is at ground level bur only a few yards away? What pins should be used in each case? Thanks.
    2012 Martin Pantera, Spot Hogg-Hogg Father Single Pin and HoggIT 5 Pins

Post Thanks / Like

Shooting up or down hill does create some problems. What happens is that as you estimate the yardage you are seeing the total distance to the target. The problem with this is that gravity only affects the arrow drop on a horizontal basis so what you to try to do is estimate the horizontal distance to the target. Think of it as the hypotenuse of a triangle. If there are trees you can look at near the target you can look at one horizontally and figure the distance to the tree and make some sort of correction; it will be less than the distance you see to the target. This holds true for uphill or downhill so you end up with a true horizontal distance somewhat less. It all depends on the angle of the shot, but normally you can knock about 2 yards off a 30 yard shot if the vertical distance is about 15-20 feet.

As for shooting close targets? When you sight on a target you are seeing line of sight. The arrow in the bow starts below your line of sight. When you shoot the arrow naturally arcs and at some distance actually rises above line of sight and falls back to line of sight at the point your sight is set for. So on real close targets the arrow never rises to meet your line of sight. Therefore you compensate by setting the sight for a longer distance. For something like a 3 yard shot you would typically set your sight for maybe 40 yards or even 60 yards depending on the speed of the arrow.

Years ago I remember making shots as short as 3' to 6' where I had to set my sight at 80 yards. Sound goofy but that's how it is. What sight setting you have to use is typically guess work.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

bfisher has it pretty much spot on.

If you can't judge the horizontal distance for any reason, if you knock off 10% of the direct distance you will be pretty close.
    For the really close shots the best way is to set out targets down as close as 1 yard and shoot at them, adjust your sights/ see which pin is closest and record the info for future use.
    For example, on my 3D bows, a 1yd shot is the same aimpoint as a 75yd shot, 5yds is the same as 35.
    It will vary depending on equipement setup.

Kev
    2009 AlienX
    2009 AlienX (not a misprint, I have two)
    2010 AlienX
    I have other bows as well

Post Thanks / Like

Barry, you've come to my rescue again and simplified the differences so that even I can understand what I need to do. Kev, the 10% rule is easy to remember.

Never thought about shooting a yard or two but will definitely give it a try. Many thanks.
    2012 Martin Pantera, Spot Hogg-Hogg Father Single Pin and HoggIT 5 Pins

Post Thanks / Like

OK, there's something important that I forgot to mention concerning your sight. To shoot accurately up or down hill you should consider a thing or two. If you use a sight with a bubble level then it should be one that has second AND third axis adjustment, especially 3rd. 3rd axis pertains to the sight being perfectly perpendicular to the bow riser. If the sights 3rd axis is not true then when you try to level while aiming up hill you'll be canting your bow one way and the opposite way for a downhill shot. Very few hunting sights have this feature unless you go very high end. SO, if your sight is off to begin with and can't be adjusted the best thing to do is just forget using the level. Trust your gut. This is where perfecting form pays dividends. For what it's worth I very rarely even look at a level any more. I've learned to just "go by feel". The exception would be some side-hill shots.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

6. Likes wscywabbit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Check this out might help

Quote Originally Posted by HIArcher View Post
    I'm sure this has been covered before but can't seem to find the answer via the search function. At a 3D event, are there rules of thumb for shooting an elevated target a dozen or more feet high; a target that is down in a gulch; and one that is at ground level bur only a few yards away? What pins should be used in each case? Thanks.
    http://www.archersadvantage.com/TipS...UpDownHill.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Inside of 10 yards I use my 40 yard pin in the 10 ring most of the time.
    '08 Firecat a righty
    '06 Slayer a lefty
    "97 High Country Protec

Post Thanks / Like
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself