Thread: Hunter vs Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hunter vs Mamba

Hi there,

I've been trying to get in touch with someone from tech about bow selection between the Hunter and Mamba. I'm sitting right around a 28'' draw and am concerned about stacking. I've also gotten mixed reviews as to limb length/cast of these 2 bows. Is the hunter riser longer than that of the mamba with longer limbs? Shorter riser with longer limbs etc? These are some concerns of mine. I spoke with another distributer who was trying to sell me the mamba because he felt it would have greater cast due to its shorter limbs. I've spoken to others with the opposite opinion. I've contacted Martin archery tech line on numerous occasions but have been unable to speak with someone in person. Any information/help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Tough choice, but at your 28" draw, you're not going to encounter any sort of stacking. If the Mamba's 58" length suits you, it will be a fine bow for you. The Hunter with it's 62" length will be a smoother drawing bow however. The add copy on the web pages does lead a person to believe that the Hunter will be a bit faster, and it may well be, if so it's only a few FPS, and the Hunter has been in production for more than 50 years, making it the oldest production bow on the market today. Means that there are a lot of happy Hunter owners out there. You could get a more difinative answer on this question by asking over on Stickbow.com's Leatherwall, a site devoted to traditional archery. Lots of Mamba and Hunter shooters on that board.
    http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/THREADSx2.CFM
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing as I have both of these bows I can probably offer some advice. Both of mine are 2010 45# models and I draw to about 28".

The Hunter is longer, heavier and definitely more stable, smoother drawing and easier to shoot. The Mamba is a little faster, tried to use the same arrows as the Hunter but they were a little too weak. Thought maybe the DW might be a little heavier but they both scaled to 45# at 28" when I checked them. I have a D-97 string on the Hunter, 8190 on the Mamba; not sure how much difference that makes in speed. The difference in length is in the risers, limbs are about the same length. Don't notice any stacking with the Mamba, but as I said it isn't as smooth as the Hunter, still not bad, though. I hunted with the Hunter last Fall, have been shooting the Mamba mostly for the past couple months to get ready for turkeys this Spring. The shorter Mamba will be a little more maneuverable in the blind, but I can shoot the Hunter from it just fine. Even though the Mamba is less forgiving for some reason I really like shooting it more, for now anyway.

I think happy with either, it really comes down to personal preference. Guess that's why I got both.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to both for your posts. They're both extremely helpful! CAptJJ, you mentioned the difference in riser length. Is it the mamba with the shorter riser? It would seem to me that if the limbs are equal in length, then there wouldn't be a difference in arrow speed? What do you think?

Best,

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

The Mamba has a shorter riser, less wood there makes it lighter, too. I thought the speed/cast would be the same and planned on using the same arrows, but it didn't turn out that way. Not sure why? The limbs have a slightly different bend to them, they are made on different forms.

Here's the pic in my avatar:

Another:
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Those are both beautiful bows. Definitely more recurve in the mamba limb.

Post Thanks / Like

Good lookin bows Capt!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps