Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nitrous Cams Over on AT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nitrous Cams Over on AT

For those of you that might be looking.........

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2184511

Post Thanks / Like

My current bow is over 30 years old and has wheels so I am clueless when it comes to cams. That being said, I have figured out here on the forum that there is something about these cams. What years were these cams made? What is so great about them that everyone has to have them? I wonder if I could make a Frankenbow just starting with these cams. I would not know how to set it up though. I think that would be over my head. But my interest is piqued because of the mystique surrounding these cams.
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

Post Thanks / Like

Elkslayer4x5 also has his polished B nitrous cams up for trade for a set of C cams on AT just to put out there
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

What's the Nitrous cam mystique? They have a steep hump, drops into a narrow valley, and a fairly solid back wall, and FAST. They use a module system for draw length, and have an option of adding an additional module set to convert the bow to a shoot thru system ( X system ) with zero horzontal nock travel. Means that you can eliminate limb twist, and cam lean alltogher. In the X system configureation, you have four cables, two on either side and your arrow in the center, limbs move straight down and up, no twisting, no cable slide. A twin cam system that is easy to time. and did I mention that they are FAST!!!! No need to shoot 70 lbs to achive 300fps. I get 298 fps with my 55 # Slayer and its target arrows.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

5. Thanks rjd, CLT Bluesman, mxtuner1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To add to what 4x5 said, with a bow set up with the X system you can change cables without a bow press or tools. Say you want to change the left cable on the top limb. You just squeeze the right cable toward the riser that is attached to the top limb and sip the left cable off it's anchor and then the cam on the bottom limb. Attach a new one in reverse order and it's done. The same goes for the other three cables. The cam mounts in the middle of the limb fork so the string groove runs right down the middle of the bow. Usually the centershot can be mounted right down the middle and the sight pins will match.

Did he mention FAST? My 2004 Slayer with B Nitrous is the only bow I ever had that got close to 300 fps. 27 1/2" draw, 53#, and 275gr arrow (5 gr/lb) it did an honest 308 fps. I later set it for a 27" draw and it did 299 fps. By comparison, I have these Hybrix/Nitro cammed bows that are IBO rated at 335 vs the Slayer's 325 and the best I've gotten out of them is 281 fps.

And answering your other question, the Nitrous cam came out in 2004 and was discontinued after 2007. The B cams were the most efficient of the three different sizes. What's more they Nitrous cams were rated for 75% letoff, but there was also a smaller module (mini-mod) that could be had with 65% letoff. The mini-mod reduced the drawlength range of the cams by 2".

Best cam system, most versatile, and it only lasted 4 years.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

7. Thanks CLT Bluesman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see a picture of the Slayer. Sounds like a great setup. I am going to browse around and see if I can find a picture.
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

Post Thanks / Like

I found a picture of a 2007 Slayer Pro that someone was trying to get a feel for value. What was the brace height on them? I saw where one post said 6" and something. I wonder why Martin stopped them or has not brought that cam back if they were so good. I like the idea of the center shot cables. Just sounds like a great set-up.

Post Thanks / Like

If martin is planning to turn things around, why wouldn't they go back to the nitrous came that were so efficient. !?
    2004 Martin Jaguazor 60# 27" Twisted Archer strings. Trophy Ridge Revolution rest. Trophy Ridge Pursuit sight.
    2004 Bowtech Pro40 Wheely. 60# 27" VaporTrail strings. Trophy Taker fall away rest. HHA Optimizer lite sight.
    http://www.ToledoTees.com

Post Thanks / Like

I am completely fascinated by the Slayers, or more appropriately, the Slayrs. The 2004-2005 Slayrs were heavier than the 2006-2007, and stiffer riser, and of course had nitrous cams. I do have one of the newer Slayers left, and the machining is cool, but they are a little less desirable to me. I know Martin put more work into machining the riser, but I prefer the older stiffer version. These Slayers are so fast that only the new hypertuned bows can compare but when I have shot the new ones, they don't shoot as good as the old Slayrs. A lot of people talk up the nitrous "B" cam, but if your draw is outside the range, the others are best for you. All of the nitrous cams are smooth, accurate, easy to adjust, can vary by 5 inches in draw length, and have a firm back wall with a short valley. The short valley is great so you pull against your draw stops more consistently. All good...and the price is probably the best buy right now. I promise as more people figure out the cam system, the price is going up, it already is now.
    Addicted to Slayers or Slayr's, have more than one. Probably enjoy the mechanical side of archery the best. I have really enjoyed the articles and the stories on this site. I strive to help others with what little knowledge I have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naptime View Post
    If martin is planning to turn things around, why wouldn't they go back to the nitrous came that were so efficient. !?
    I would love for Martin to reestablish the nitrous cam. If I were a betting man, I would say will not happen. The designer, Jim Despart, left Martin not on the best of terms (or so I heard) and took his nitrous patent with him. To hear the ex-Martin pro shooters talk, right after he left the sponsorships were sometimes not paid, reduced rates, Martin was no longer winning world championships.
    Addicted to Slayers or Slayr's, have more than one. Probably enjoy the mechanical side of archery the best. I have really enjoyed the articles and the stories on this site. I strive to help others with what little knowledge I have.

13. Thanks CLT Bluesman thanked for this post