Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Limbs

flytier17

Hello darrenhood. Good to see you've joined us.

I agree with bfisher, youre an animal. Instead of a higher poundage, get a speedster, like a firecat or Slayer. Shoot it @ 70 at the very most.

OHHHHHHHH, I get it. You want to prove you're not just a pretty face

flytier17

Animal? I was thinking Rhino. Definetly thick-skinned and stinky.

Didn't really mean that you know

Darrenhood

Flytier17,

Thank you. Nice to be here. A bit more doscile than the other place. Might be the light green back ground has a calming affect.

Latest thing I did with my Bengal...put the #7 cam module on. Theorized that even if it didn't raise the poundage, it would keep the poundage ramped up longer before dropping into the valley. You can definitely see the difference between the 2 modules.

Moved the draw stop enough to add only 1/4 to the draw, enough to get into the valley still.

No chrono, but WOW!

After that, now the peak has dropped to 70 pounds with 6L limbs. I'll shoot it for a while, get some blood on it & see if I want to try the 7L limbs. Gotta lot of hunting photos to post, but nothing with a Martin. Need to get busy.

Don't remember what the lowest brace height bow was I've owned. Are these 350 FPS rigs easy to keep under controll?

Post Thanks / Like

Are you asking about the Slayer? I had a 2004 model and it wasn't bad. I used it as a 3D rig. I had B Nitrous cams on it so the brace height was 6 3/8". No problems for me, but a longer draw length might be different. I will say this, it's more important to NOT have a draw length that's too long.

What I always liked about the Slayer was the A2A length. I'm not a real big fan of short bows. Longer bows are just more accurate. Some guys might argue that, but most are so young and never really saw or had extensive shooting experience with longer A2A bows to be able to draw an objective conclusion. And by extensive I mean a long long time, not a half dozen shots in some shop.

But then there can always be the defintion of accuracy. For me the question of accuracy doesn't encompass any shooting of less than 30 yards, and mostly 40 yards or longer. It is often brought up about "hunting accuracy". Excuse me, but for the most part that mneans 30 yards or less and shots this close should be "gimmies" as far as the equipment is concerned. When I say accurate I mean approx. 3" or less groups at 40 yards on a consistent basis. Short bows and long bows can do this, but the longer A2A bows will do it, in the hands of a given shooter, more consistently and more easily.

Guess I got carried away, but it helps explain a little more about the Slayer.

Darrenhood

You're right on all counts, Barry.

My first bows were 41, 42 inches. They keep getting shorter.

I used to prefer longer & heavier. Not sure what I'm doing now.

With string attachments & what I use for arrows, I think 292 FPS is the fastest anything of mine has shot.

One of those 350 fps IBO rigs might be a great thing, get heavier arrows than what I'm using now going 300 fps.

That's what I mean by accuracy, too....3 inch at 100 yards with blades.

Took me a while to try my first single cam, now I'd have a hard time switching back to 2 cams. I'd need someone smarter than me to help me understand why a cam & 1/2 or hybrid would be better than either.

I think the only bow I ever shot before I bought it was my first compound. Wouldn't mind trying one of those full speed rigs with broadheads & see if I could controll it.

Always good to hear from both of you.

Now I'm going to go look at Slayers.

flytier17

Good hybrids and duals have a long history of straight and consistent nock travel. Even the best solos have wavy paths. I owned 2 mathews, both were lousy.

My Slayer puts out 370-280 with a 513 gr. arrow. Talk about KE!!!!! Thats with a bow that IBO's @ 335. I gave a 10fps range because I am always fiddling with the dl due to not finding a release I like. I try different ones, all seem to feel terrible.

Bfisher, I too am a fan of long and heavy. I like stable, not quirkey.

As for smooth draw, the solos are the best, but a speed cam will allow you to shoot a lighter lb for the same speed, meaning smoother draw. Somehow, I get the feeling this theory is lost on you Darrenhood

EG. I shot a 70lb bengal yesterday, and my 63lb Slayer draws smoother, and I guarantee is a lot faster.

flytier17

Now after that lengthy and hopefully enlightening arguement, if you go buy an 80lb slayer, I will friekin' smash my head on a brick wall till my skull splits

Darrenhood

LMAO!!!!!

You need something like an 80# Slayer because you want to shoot arrows that weigh more than the deer does, right?

Darrenhood

I'm realy hoping this Bengal works out the way I want, then I'll put together an identical spare.

As long as I get the long range groups out of it that I want. I think I'm about done adjusting everything. You know what that means, time for the string to break & start all over again, then I'll be joining you on that brick wall.

flytier17

Quote Originally Posted by Darrenhood View Post
    LMAO!!!!!

You need something like an 80# Slayer because you want to shoot arrows that weigh more than the deer does, right?
    Yeah, and broadheads so big they chop it in half to make it easier to haul outta the bush

With an arrow that big, you can kill a cape buff with a Judo point