Thread: Whisker biscuit + bare shaft arrow tuning = ?

Compounded

Default Whisker biscuit + bare shaft arrow tuning = ?

Hi guys and gals,

I have a whisker biscuit and need to do some bare shaft arrow tuning. I'm not sure whether or not the whiskers would correct the arrow flight to some extent since they fully enclose and closely hug the shaft of the arrow. It seems logical to me that any perturbed arrow flight may be corrected (to a moderate extent) since the whiskers are quite stiff when compress down their axis. In fact this is the reason the arrow can be supported in the central aperture (They are less resistive to the flexural stress from the vanes passing through them, hence they won't disrupt the arrow flight due fletching clearance issues).

Anyone have experience with whisker biscuits and tuning?

Thanks!

SonnyThomas

Default Whisker biscuit + bare shaft arrow tuning = ?

A whisker biscuit is nothing but a arrow rest, a full capture arrow rest. It is undoubtedly a very good hunter arrow rest. The shop I work at has sold a bunch of them and I've set up a bunch of them. You set it as you would any other arrow rest, up, down or side to side. You can adjust them to shoot bullet holes through paper, whether bare shaft or fletched arrow. There are two kinds of bristles. The black in the bottom are stiffer to support the arrow. The brown bristles, softer, permit the vanes to pass through without undue disruption. Of course, the arrow is shot cock vane up. The hole in the center should not be overly snug. If it is you have the wrong size biscuit - large, medium and small are available.

Of personal note, I have no use for the Whisker Biscuit. Even though they get the job done I just don't like them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Compounded View Post
    Hi guys and gals,

I have a whisker biscuit and need to do some bare shaft arrow tuning. I'm not sure whether or not the whiskers would correct the arrow flight to some extent since they fully enclose and closely hug the shaft of the arrow. It seems logical to me that any perturbed arrow flight may be corrected (to a moderate extent) since the whiskers are quite stiff when compress down their axis. In fact this is the reason the arrow can be supported in the central aperture (They are less resistive to the flexural stress from the vanes passing through them, hence they won't disrupt the arrow flight due fletching clearance issues).

Anyone have experience with whisker biscuits and tuning?

Thanks!
    Hello. A WB rest will flip a bare shaft. If its coming out of the bow nock high, eventually you will notice the bottom bristles are worn out. To see for your self, adjust it one way, shoot a BS through paper and adjust it the other way and see what you get. If you raise your nock point a little high, you might find you actually get a low tear.

assuming the cams are timed/synced.
    Sometimes you get the thing to work backwards. My best advice is to adjust it up and down/ right and left till you get to where a slight movement does not change the paper tear much.

Also, you might try hooking your release directly to the string under the arrow. If you are able to tune it this was, Id say your drawlength setting on the bow is just a little long, and to shorten it 1/2" then replace a dloop with both knots under your arrow.

These are ideas others have shared that got bareshaft flight through a WB to land with fletched.

good luck to ya

Post Thanks / Like

One thing you have to bear in mind. Because of the capture capability of the WB you must be more consistent with your follow through. On any shot the bow is going to move, but if you have a tendency to peek for your arrow or anything that will move the bow from it's natural movements then shooting through paper, especially with bare shafts, will be largely a waste of time.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, the OP is no longer a member here, and this thread is really, really dusty.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

LOL thanks Brad
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps