Thread: 2014 Saber Takedown

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2014 Saber Takedown

Ordered the saber last week and it's due to arrive tomorrow. Anyone have experience with this model? Any advice on tuning, arrows spine, etc. It's 40lbs and my draw is 29 so I'm guessing the actual weight on the string will be about 42 or 43. I've been shooting for about 7 months. I'm planning on using it for target, 3d, and possibly hunting. I have an x200 and a few others ranging in weight from 35 up to 50lbs. I like the look of this bow and the 64 amo seems it would provide a smoother draw and less finger pinch. Input?

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm jealous

I haven't really jumped into the traditional archery, but I have looked at the Saber as an option for when I do. Congrats on a nice bow, and welcome to the forum!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum. These guys really know their stuff and are so willing to share their knowledge!
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ranchoarcher View Post
    Ordered the saber last week and it's due to arrive tomorrow. Anyone have experience with this model? Any advice on tuning, arrows spine, etc. It's 40lbs and my draw is 29 so I'm guessing the actual weight on the string will be about 42 or 43. I've been shooting for about 7 months. I'm planning on using it for target, 3d, and possibly hunting. I have an x200 and a few others ranging in weight from 35 up to 50lbs. I like the look of this bow and the 64 amo seems it would provide a smoother draw and less finger pinch. Input?
    You're correct, with the Saber's 64" length, it will be a smooth drawing bow, and you won't be getting any finger pinch. Are you feeling finger pinch with your 60" X200? As for hunting with a 43# bow, Calif regs has one of the oddest critera for a legal hunting bow..."Any bow able to cast an arrow 130 yds" ... always made me chuckle, heck, just aim higher!! Enjoy your new 43#er.
    Wabbit, whats holding you back? If you really want to enjoy the 'mystical flight of the arrow' its time to get a stick and string. Compounds are way too fast to see much arrow flight, unless you're shooting very long ranges.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to Martin Tech Fourm.... enjoy your new bow.. Picked up a Martin Diablo for my son, its a Great Bow
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    You're correct, with the Saber's 64" length, it will be a smooth drawing bow, and you won't be getting any finger pinch. Are you feeling finger pinch with your 60" X200? As for hunting with a 43# bow, Calif regs has one of the oddest critera for a legal hunting bow..."Any bow able to cast an arrow 130 yds" ... always made me chuckle, heck, just aim higher!! Enjoy your new 43#er.
    Wabbit, whats holding you back? If you really want to enjoy the 'mystical flight of the arrow' its time to get a stick and string. Compounds are way too fast to see much arrow flight, unless you're shooting very long ranges.

Not really much pinch with the 60 amo to be a real bother for say, hunting. It should provide more of a benefit in a competitive situation with lots of arrows being flung. Got a 62 amo and I can feel the difference. I figure, two more inches beyond that would be even better plus that black carbon fiber look is nice. I've read about the 130 yard rule. On a good day with the right wind one might be able to throw an arrow that far. But alas, this is so cal. Good luck getting within 130 yards of anything with fur that isn't protected, spooked, or someone's pet.

I read some other posts where people have complained about the stringer that comes with a martin. A two leather pocket version is what it looks like. I can see it might be difficult to do if both pockets are put over the limb tips. I figure, it might be easier to put just the bottom one on and put the loop of the stringer over the top limb below the bow string and use it like the other types of stringers.

It should be here any time now...waiting...waiting....waiting.

Post Thanks / Like

the waiting is the hardest part....but well worth it the day it gets to you
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to do a follow up on the saber takedown. It came in on the 13th and it's everything I expected. The only issue I had with it was the rubber lip on the left edge of the handle. I ended up trimming about a 1/4 inch of it off since feathers were striking it during release. I did replace the original string. Not because there was anything wrong with it. It held up just fine for a couple thousand arrows. I went with a FF string for the extra speed. Went from 190 on the chrono to 205. I also replaced the arrow rest with a wire and plunger to get a little more adjustability out of it for spine. Is it accurate? I won a trad (no sights) tournament with it today in San Diego. Second place shooter was using a Bear Grizzly. First one entered and for the length of time I've had this bow, just over a month, is as long as I've been learning to gap shoot as well. It likes 20/40 carbon express arrows full length with the 40lb limbs and 65 grain tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you're having fun with it. I also changed the string on my Diablo last year. Hutch made me a superb string out BCY Trophy and the speed difference was incredible. 24 fps gain and with only 30 pound limbs. Now I've got 35# limbs, but haven't chrono'd it yet. Doesn't matter really as I'm only shooting 20 yards indoors at the moment and placing 1st or 2nd almost every week. The thing is so much fun I must have put 10,000 shots thru it since last June.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver