Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: string diagram for nitrous cams

Post Thanks / Like

Default string diagram for nitrous cams

does anyone have a diagram of how strings should be run on a 2004 jaguar with nitrous cams?

or could post some pics of both sides of the cam as well as top and bottom cams.

i just bought this jaguar last week. and while the draw was far too long for me with the c cams on it, i was still able to draw it back.

so, fast forward to today...

i get my new a cams in the mail, promptly get them installed, and install my strings the way i believe they were supposed to be..

split connects on the outside of the limb on the cam shaft. other end connects to the inside of the cam at the other end.

repeat with the other cable.

string connects to the center of each cam.

connected it all up. set the weight at 55 lbs, and i could not draw it back if my life depended on it.

i felt like the biggest wimp on the plant. literally would not budge.

so, i took it all off, checked everything over again, and reassembled.

now, i have a manual, and it shows some really great string diagrams... for dyna cam and tru arc cams. but no diagram for nitrous cam.

there is however, a photo of a jaguar with nitrous cams, so i did my best to follow that.

tightened it all back up. back the limbs down to 55 again..

and nope, nothing, no way i could possibly draw this back.

now, I'm no he-man, but I am 5'10 and 200 pounds. I work out 5 days a week. i ran a marathon 2 months ago, and the last time i did cable rows, i was at 247.. so, i shouldn't have any problem drawing a 55 pound bow right? WRONG..

that thing would NOT move..

well, it probably wasn't the smartest thing I've done, but i gave it everything i had...

and instead of drawing back..... the cable exploded and ripped my left arm to shreds!!

ok, well, maybe it didn't rip me to shreds, but it slapped it like mad, and put two pretty good welts, and drew blood in three different places.

it's swollen pretty good now. and finally stopped bleeding.

thankfully this was not my new string set. this was my old cables, and dirt darts old string.

but, i'd kind like to make sure the new strings get installed properly so i don't have a repeat of tonight with brand new strings.

i COULD take it to the local shop to have the new set put on... but i REALLY prefer to do things myself. not to mention, at the big box "pro" shop, the "tech" tried to convince me to just buy his used 2003 bowtech pro 40 and told me i should get rid of the jaguar asap because they were garbage. the other local pro shop had little to no clue about martins. when i mentioned that i needed my string off because i was changing cams. he told me that someone was giving me bad info, that i only needed to change mods, not cams. i tried explaining to him that you had to change cams and string, and he said i was wrong. i even showed him the manual, and he said it's just a generic manual, not SPECIFICALLY for the jaguar (even though there is a jaguar in it. and its the original manual that came with the bow) and then, of course he tried to talk me into buying one of their new bows, because the martin wouldn't do me any good since they were just bought out.. wth does that have to do with a quality bow from 2004. smh

so yeah, I'd much rather study, learn, and do this all myself.

if anyone can post a diagram or some photos, i would really appreciate it.

sorry for the rant!

IMG_2857.jpg

IMG_2858.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

actually, i found pics of my bow, from before i pulled the cams..

and this would be exactly how i ran the strings today, albeit on the new cams.

now, i dont know if i had the cables on the right end, or if it matters.

or if there were the wrong number of twists, or if the cables going into the little cable guard were in the right position with each other.

but there was no way i was drawing that bow.

and i WAS drawing it last week. clear past my head with a 32" draw

IMG_2814.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

one mod has a "t" and the other mod has a "b" i assumed this meant top and bottom, so that is where they are mounted.

and the mods are positioned on the cams, on the sight side of the bow, not on the rest side.

Post Thanks / Like

When you swap B nitrous cams for C nitrous, you'll gain 10#s in draw weight. To maintain the same draw weight you will need to drop down two limbs numbers. If you had 5H limbs, you'd need 3H to have the same draw weight. Probably not the whole answer to what ever is going on, but it is part of what has happened. Glad that you did'nt get hurt any more than you did, darn close to the vein!!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

4. Thanks naptime thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

wait... so dropping from c's down to a's increased my draw weight from 55-70 up to 75-90 ?

it doesn't say anything about that in my manual. it just says that changing the cams changes the draw length.

i have 8M limbs

one thing occured to me... my cams were not pointing towards each other, as in the photo above from before the cam change.
    the new cams were pointing to the rear..
    and, after measuring, the temporary cable was 54" not the required 49" for a cams.

the cable being too long would explain why the cams were not pointing towards each other.

could this also explain why the cable broke. or more importantly why i couldn't draw it back. or have i actually added 20 pounds to the weight?

Post Thanks / Like

Get the new strings in first, install them and see where you go from there...sounds like you made a bow strong enough to take down a water buffalo

7. Thanks naptime thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I understand, yes you have added 20#'s you will need to get the shorter cables ( unless you already have them @49) and now your going to need new limbs like a 5m.. there are other that know a lot more about this than I do . copterdoc was the man with nitrous cams... you can try to look him up @ archery talk just checked his page was last on in december.. Barry knows too maybe he will post up
    no worries your no wimp its just you now have a Realy heavy DW

Oppisite goes for the guy that got your C's he just droped 20#'s maybe a limb swap is in order now
    Last edited by ElkSlayer; 01-16-2014 at 02:44 PM.
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

9. Thanks naptime thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

he doesn't have a jaguar, hes got a razor.

this stupid thing is more trouble than its worth.

2 weeks. a couple hundred bucks, and i still haven't shot an arrow.

it really would have been nice if the manual would have said that changing cams would change the weight.

thanks for all the help. i think i'll just put this on craigslist as is, take a loss, and buy something that doesn't require an open checkbook to shoot an arrow.

Post Thanks / Like

those A cams are worth $100 especially with the mods... limbs not sure what you can get from them $50- 100 depending on quailty . bow may be worth more in parts . hate to see you lose out ... what would you want for the riser we may be interested
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

12. Thanks naptime thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I read the original post and stayed on the side lines. Maybe I was having a brain fart. At any rate, the guys are right. If you went from C cams to A cams then you sure did jump up about 20#. No wonder you couldn't draw it. If you are dead set on selling the bow I'd put the original cams back on. There may be some idiots left in this world, but you'd be able to sell a 70# bow a lot quicker than a 90# one. And hang onto the A cams for a little while. As said, they are like gold bars these days.

It's a shame things like this happens, but that's why I always wonder why people buy xxxxx bow and then get on the internet and ask whether they made a good choice or not. Always better to ask before plunking down hard earned cash. Think about this next time, whether it be a Martin bow or not. We're always willing to help here.

Had to edit this. I'd like to see some pics of the bow as you have it strung. Maybe I'm missing something, but you did say that you reset the bow to 55#, right. It also sound like your cables are not the right length, thus the funny cam orientation. I'd just like to see it to make sure.
    Last edited by bfisher; 01-16-2014 at 03:48 PM.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

14. Thanks naptime thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

well, I'm not ready to give up just yet. Not until I find out what limbs are gonna set me back.

but I am frustrated enough that I had to get out this bottle of Glenmorangie 18