Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bengal String Twist

Darrenhood

never pick on you, only tease. That's is #$&@&%$ great you're drawing enough bow to kill something with again!!!! Good news !!!

bigbull1

Where do you find the Martin STS to order? I am going to try the G5 Meta peep and will be careful not to smish it. What do you use if anything to quiet the strings; jax, cat whiskers?

Thank you again and how to you like the Firecat?

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I just took the FireCat out of the box about noon today. I took my bow square and aligned it with the bottom of the berger hole and tied on a nock set (I don't use a loop) 3/16" above square. Mounted a SuperStar rest that is converted to a lizard tongue. Grabbed the Hogg-It of my Pantera and mounted it. Eyeballed the rest for centershot. Adjusted the modules from their 29" setting down to 26" setting and turned the wweight down to where I could handle it. Checked the weight (37# peak&holding 7#) and draw length on my drawing board and the draw length was 1/2" too long so I put 10 twists in the string. Now it's good to go.

Went out to the archery club and shot outside. It grouped well and so I sighted it in at 15 yards. No peep installed. Just relying on anchor.

Went indoors tonite and shot a while. Installed a peep nd to get god orientation took 1/2 twist out of the string and shot some more. During this time the bow seemed to go out of whack, shooting high. It was then that I noticed the draw stop pad on the limb had compressed allowing me to draw about 1/4" longer. Guess that's why it felt so funny. Readjusted the stop and shot some more. Continually was shooting about 1 1/2" groups at 20 yards, good for me at this point.

Although no chrono was available I could tell the bow is fast. Just an estimate, but it should be about 250-255 fps, but that's only at 35#.

The finish is very good on this bow. The balance is good and the mass weight pleases me. I'll probably try a half dozen more rests on the thing, but for now I'd have to rate it about an 8 on a scale of 1-10.

I'm still not sold on the short A2A and acute string angle. I'll probably adjust, but not comfortable with it yet.

Now I have a little incentive to hit the gym and get some of my deltoids back.

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, forgot. I've gone through all the info I have and the Martin STS isn't shown although I'm sure they have a flyer out showing it. Ed, you're probably best off to call customer service about it or PM PUG over on www.archerytalk.com.

Darrenhood

My string stretched enough again that I had to twist it to get the peep back into alignment. And, I've never quite had as much exposed string groove on the cam, like we've talked about, so... I twisted the heck out of it. Probably 1 turn in 3/4 inch, maybe less. and let a turn out of the cable.

Can there be too much twist?

The peep is close to being completely encapsulated in string.

Got maybe 1/2 inch of string groove showing where string leaves the cam.

Reset the nock height & flung a few shafts, but gotta do the long range sight in again.

I'm patient enough to wait all day for an animal that never walks by, but I wonder if I'm being too patient with this string?
    Last edited by Darrenhood; 04-01-2008 at 09:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darrenhood View Post
    My string stretched enough again that I had to twist it to get the peep back into alignment. And, I've never quite had as much exposed string groove on the cam, like we've talked about, so... I twisted the heck out of it. Probably 1 turn in 3/4 inch, maybe less. and let a turn out of the cable.

Can there be too much twist?

The peep is close to being completely encapsulated in string.

Got maybe 1/2 inch of string groove showing where string leaves the cam.

Reset the nock height & flung a few shafts, but gotta do the long range sight in again.

I'm patient enough to wait all day for an animal that never walks by, but I wonder if I'm being too patient with this string?
    I think I'd get a set of Bucknasty's and be done with it. Keep the factory string for backup. Hey Darren, you wouldn't have to play with nocking point location if you were shooting a dual cam setup.

Do yourself a favor. Once you have the bow set where you want it take a pencil and draw a line on the side of the cam nearest the limb fork. Both front and back of the limb. Then you'll be able to see if the string is creeping. I used to actually scribe a line with the point of a knife, but pencil works fine.

Can't quite comprehend what you mean about having so much string groove showing. This would have to mean you have too many twists in the string in relation to the cable, which also means a shorter draw length. You can twist things up, but to maintain the draw length you have to do both the cable and the string to maintain the same cam orientation (reason for the pencil line).

Barry

Darrenhood

I knew I'd loose a little DL to get the cam oriented where I wanted it, but it might have been a scoach too long before that, so it fits good now.

Since day one the shoot string was right up against the end of the groove in the cam. As I've twisted up the string to maintain peep location, I've gained a little exposed groove each time, but not much.

The serving has a little fuzzy spot where it still hammers against the end of the string groove.

I prefer to roll a cam the OTHER way, more poundage & DL, but now I think the string won't wack the flat part of the cam & might be quieter.

I can make up the lost performance with HEAVIER LIMBS!