Thread: smoking rant

Post Thanks / Like

Default smoking rant

Forget the health issues, please... One thing important to remember...Well, two things. First, smoking is not against the law. 2nd, kids here in Illinois can walk off the school grounds and smoke until time to hit the class room. At lunch time out to the local high schools you'd think there was a fire taking place. Cops go right on by.... Now, these kids are still under age, but sell a pack cigarettes or buy a pack of cigarettes for a kid and you're looking for a severe "slapping from the law." Yeah, the sell or buyer gets the hammer the kid goes on down the side walk smoking a cigarette.... Something is wrong here....

Up state Illinois, FITA Indoor State Championship. No smoking is allowed on club grounds, period. Okay, I haven't smoked inside for a indoor event ever, but during breaks I've slipped outside a lit up.... One cigarette and maybe not all of it before the break was over... So for the last 3 years the FITA Indoor Championship has been light 5 shooters that I know of. Now, I can go a long time without a cigarette, but let things come to a crawl, nothing happening and going to light up. Outdoors, shooting 3D, I might smoke 1 or 2 cigarettes for 30 or 40 targets. Sometimes not lighting up until after we've shot all targets.

The local hospital has stopped smoking on hospital property. If you're employee who smokes you must leave the hospital property to do so and you must clock out and clock back in when returning. Okay, you get docked time for smoking.

Now, someone is trying to pass legislation to curb smoking on college property where the college is support by Illinois tax dollars.

Another piece that is pending is no smoking in the home where children are present. Excuse me, my house, my rights. So if the legislation gets passed don't bring your kid (s) to my house. Bringing your kid (s) in house will be a violation of my rights....

A local city is looking legal action for going far and beyond. $50 fine throwing a cigarette on the ground. What it is, you can't smoke within 15 feet of a entrance door to any store. Now, at one time the stores had cigarette/cigar ash trays, about 3 1/2" tall. You dropped you cigarette in before entering the door. Now, stores have been ordered to remove these and can not place them anywhere, period.

There can not be taverns or restaurants that allow smoking. Taverns have found a opening though. They've built outside facilities 15 feet from the now named Entrance door. Yeah, a side door in not a entrance door.
    Restaurants have their hands tied for some reason. To cover this law a bit more, there can not be private smoking taverns or restaurants.

About a year ago I hammered the ASA forums. ASA events are held outside on public parks for the most part and maybe all for all I know. A couple spoke out against me, but the bottom came. Smoking is not against the law and there is at this time no law preventing smoking out in the open on state held property.

If of health....don't get me going. I worked in big factory and it sure seems few know what that amounts to.
    Last edited by Arrow Splitter; 02-25-2014 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Swearing
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

Preach on brother! I don't smoke (anymore), I dip. At my job, which happens to be in a military building on a base, they are getting stupid will all kinds of laws/rules. Smoking is now banned within 50 ft of the building and even then you can't just walk outside and go 50 ft and smoke, nope you have to go in this little bitty trailer aka smoke shack to smoke along with the rest of the smokers in the bldg. Needless to say it starts looking like a barbeque smoker with all the smoke that rolls out of there when the door is opened!
    Genesis 21:20 - And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.

Post Thanks / Like

Ohio just might be even worse.

no smoking in any public place. bar, restaurant, hotel, convention centers, etc..

hospitals, and most big business, no longer allow smoking on the grounds.
    most businesses have gotten rid of smoking in break rooms, and anywhere on company property.

my dad works at gm power train. first the smokers were forced outside to shacks. then to their cars. and now, nowhere on company property.

they have to punch out, at lunch, get in their car, and LEAVE, to smoker, and then of course, get back and inside and back on the clock on time.

with the price of cigarettes now, and the health issues, I'm glad I quit January 1st, 2007. I smoked 20 years, and the last 10 were a solid 4 packs a day.

however, I'm not one of those hardcore ex-smokers that pushes my desire on anyone else.

personally, I'm a little thankful there is no smoking in restaurants any more. but even if there was, I'd sit in the no smoking section.

bars though, I think that was pushing it over the limit. but I know Vegas and California are the same.

for a while here, bars and restaurants got around the law by becoming private clubs with memberships.

didn't take long for them to nix that too.

i have major issues with government stepping in, because of a bunch of pansy *** whiners. Now, I'm not as hardcore as uncle ted, but i still believe in the freedoms that I fought for, and I really dont like seeing them slowly taken away inch by inch while the masses sit idly by, and anyone that speaks up is labeled as a zealot or a conspiracy theorist.
    2004 Martin Jaguazor 60# 27" Twisted Archer strings. Trophy Ridge Revolution rest. Trophy Ridge Pursuit sight.
    2004 Bowtech Pro40 Wheely. 60# 27" VaporTrail strings. Trophy Taker fall away rest. HHA Optimizer lite sight.
    http://www.ToledoTees.com

4. Likes webbnate_45 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Used to smoke, but chew now. We aren't allowed to smoke in our own businesses. We still allow it though. Outlawed in all public buildings, and that includes any and all retail stores like ours. Well, it's kind of like alot of other laws they have laid out. When the state and fed gov't. starts paying our paychecks instead of taking them, we'll start paying attention to the laws they are imposing on us that they have no right to impose. If someone doesn't want to come in our store because of cigarette smoke, they don't have to. It's OUR business decision to allow smoking, so if we lose customers because of it, that's our choice. The choice should be left up to the individual business owner, not some gov't. regulation. People don't HAVE to go inside anywhere they don't want. It's called FREEDOM OF CHOICE. I'd much rather see them put a ban on loud cell phones, crying babies, and disrespectful kids in public places.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

I gave up smoking 6 years ago for one reason...taxes. My state, PA, collects one billion $ in tobacco taxes each year, while telling us what we cannot do. My wife still smokes, but it doesn't bother me (although I make her buy her own).

Post Thanks / Like

Surely you seen it, some states now selling marijuana cigarettes. One state has collected well over $100 million in 18 months since sales began. State tax runs from 15 to 25% per dollar.... So $40 and the state get $10.....
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

Liberals will stop at nothing in an attempt to control every aspect of our lives and tax us to death till we comply and then tax us some more.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

9. Likes CLT Bluesman, webbnate_45 liked this post