Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wine?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wine?

I gave up drinking ??? Well, it was a long time ago. But I did drink and nothing put this ole boy down. Beer, Tequila, Jack Daniels, Jonny Walkers, you name it. Still, Scotch was something that just didn't taste good. Said was you had to develop a taste for it. Well, I stayed with Tequila and beer. Jack Daniels and coke went down good. Gin or Vodka Collins, oh yeah. Gin and Squirt was kind of good to. Champaign was...so-so. Closed a tavern or two now and then. Nope, drinking as I was I would become the one to drive home. Brain managed to function...until I laid down. And hangovers. Lord, I had them. Gave up drinking because suffering a hangover and shooting Trap Sunday morning was...less than happy time. Anyway, you got the idea, I think. Alcohol went down pretty easy.

Well, I've have been to special dinner occasions and wine the drink at the table. And that the steak with a $35 price tag didn't make it taste as good as good hamburger. The French red, desert dry, beer tasting wine sucked.... All wine tastes like this with me. Sour tasting would be another word. Maybe if 2 or 3 teaspoons of sugar....Nah, sugar and beer just can't possibly go together. I don't know how many times I've had wine at these dinner functions and I get looks when I order a soft drink. Asked why, I tell whoever. And I'll get; "Why this is one of the best wines I've ever tasted." And I'll say; "Have mine." Okay, domestic or French or whatever... Just overly dry beer to me....

Any one else like this, can't stomach wine? Now, I've heard white wine is more pleasing, but I ain't willing to try...
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

Yup - you've had enough...

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently my palate isn't refined enough to "appreciate" wine either. It all just dries my mouth out. Gimme some good old bourbon any day, maybe a beer if it's hot out. Then again, it's been over a year since I've had a drink of anything.... Think I made up for it in my younger days. lol
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

beer only here stick to one poison
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

Nope! Never could acquire the taste for wine. Drank more that my share of other alcoholic beverages, but wine...phewy!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    Apparently my palate isn't refined enough to "appreciate" wine either. It all just dries my mouth out. Gimme some good old bourbon any day, maybe a beer if it's hot out. Then again, it's been over a year since I've had a drink of anything.... Think I made up for it in my younger days. lol
    Bourbon Supreme I found favor of. Brandy another. A healthy glass of Rock&Rye with a dash of coke was also quite drinkable....

My handovers....Imagine me and my fearless jumping cars, down hill jumps of tremendous length, no hill unconquerable attitude, 145 mph a joy. Imagine that dang clip on a older comedy of this guy on a tricycle running into a fire hydrant and falling over. That was me with a hangover.
    I had fun back then, but it was more fun without suffering a hang over. And then my body said enough. My stomach turned over, liked to killed me. All back in place and no real reason except I drank or possibly banging around on my motorcycles. Did I have the need to drink? No, it just went down good when I did drink. Doc said give it break. No problem. Two years and not a drop. Doc said stomach was holding. Maybe two more years and things change. The ground got harder so I gave up racing. Riding broncs was okay and then the ground got harder yet. Pistols and rifles got the call. So we hooked up with a few people and tavern drinking and I limited it. Still, my stomach went romping. Deep massaging....not pleasant by the way, got my stomach back in place. 30 years now and if I down more than half a beer a year it's a lot. The only time I drank a can of beer was after a day of baling hay. Nothing would stop my thirst. The wife got out a can of beer that had been in the refrigerator for years and had me drink it. Thirst was gone in no time and but a half a can we do it. When my doctor asks how much I drink and tell of half a can of beer he gasps; "That ain't drinking." Now he and I don't see eye to eye on things. He wants to quit smoking.... I give him the ole 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Yep, I don't drink and I don't beat my wife. He is at a loss of what to say, especially after I ask which one he wants me to trade off....the drinking or beating my wife
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

I gave up drinking, gambling, and womanizing. Worst 5 minutes of my life!
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

A good cold ale, coors Batch 19. Very good beer with a steak. I work 3-12 and an 8. A good cold ale is very tasty.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2014 Mathews Creed
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

I'll drink wine once in a while, but even then its not my favorite. Used to drink a lot of beer until it started giving me headaches... all it would take is one beer and with in half an hour my sinuses would be clogged and my head would be pounding. Which sucks because I REALLY like beer LOL. Never got the taste for tequila, but whiskey, oh boy I like a good whiskey. And I've found there is a BIG difference between whiskey and GOOD whiskey. I prefer Irish and Scotches, but won't turn down a good sippin whiskey of any kind. Of course I don't drink as much as I used to, not even close. But every once in a while I like to sit down with a good whiskey on the rocks and just sip and relax.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't touched a drop since April 16, 1985. I'm a friend of Bill W.
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver