Thread: Leaning into the shot?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Leaning into the shot?

I have read that some instinctive shooters do better leaning into the shot. I tried it yesterday for the first time. It may have been a fluke but my shooting did seam to get better. I even did a robin hood a couple of inches off of center. On the other hand I have read that standing straight and only lean over if you are shooting something low. Any thoughts on it?

Post Thanks / Like

On one hand...whatever works for you. On the other hand, my favorite archery book, Shooting The Stickbow, calls this "The hood ornament" position, and advises that the "standard" upright/balanced form be followed. I'm convinced that "3-under" works best for me, but most use "i over 2 under". Again...whatever works.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always done best while standing in a normal relaxed stance. For me, leaning into the shot seems to shorten my draw. Shooting up or downhill, bend at the waist. At one time I 'stringwalked' so I shoot both one over/two under or three under, what that does is bring the arrow closer to your eye, and allows you to 'gunbarrel', a trem meaning that you're looking down the shaft of the arrow, so that you have a better reference on the target, a closer point on. Stringwalking is the same except that your keep the point of the arrow on the target at all distances. Its done by changing your anchor points, and the size of the gap below the arrow that you're holding.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

A slight lean, with a little extra weight on the front foot, can help those who aim instinctively. Jay Kidwell brings this up in his book "Instinctive Archery Insights", a really good read for anyone interested.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba