Thread: Slowing down the shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slowing down the shot.

A guy suggested that I slow down my shot. Easier said than done. I started saying the word target before I release after I am on target. Seems to help a little with my wild shots. I realize after the shot that I was not concentrating on the small spot in the middle of the target.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had the same problem. I try to REALLY concentrate on the very center of the target, not just the target itself. I also do best if I hold and concentrate for about 3 to 5 seconds (don't ask me why). I read that "rushing the shot" is a common mistake for beginners. It also might mean you are "over bowed" (poundage too high). Since I don't hunt, my bow is only 30#...fine for this 72 year-old.

Post Thanks / Like

I think using a low poundage bow is one of the best ways to get your form down, then move up in weight and try to keep the same form. If you cannot hold your bow at full draw for 3-5 seconds without shaking or creeping forward, I would say that you need to try a lighter bow.

Post Thanks / Like

I am 67 6ft 170lbs and have a 35# bow. I have no problem holding it. Just shooting to fast. My what I really like is bow fishing and most of those shots happen fast. I never thought much about it except now I am trying to hit a target.

Post Thanks / Like

I find it helps to not only slow down during each individual shot, but to slow down between shots and make each one count. Seem to do some of my best shooting when I shoot one arrow at a time instead of groups; should mention I only bowhunt, not interested in target shooting.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my shot sequence.. before I raise the bow into shooting position, Relax! I pick my spot ( where I want the arrow ), concentrating on that spot I raise the bow, begining my draw at the same time, letting my back tension take over as I come to anchor, I pause long enough to make sure my form is correct and I release. Not slow or fast, but consistent. I both hunt and shoot targets, favorite being field rounds, 28 targets, 4 arrows each, 112 arrows. I have shot using every method known..instintive, stringwalking, and freestyle ( sights ), but prefer instintive. I've been shooting since the mid 60's, will be 69 this spring.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 03-06-2014 at 02:40 PM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

How many of you shoot three under or split finger. I just got a 35lb Omega Delta and it's my first venture into traditional archery. Nice bow, and didn't break the bank, too much. I am ok to about 15 yards and then it falls apart pretty quick

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob cooly View Post
    How many of you shoot three under or split finger. I just got a 35lb Omega Delta and it's my first venture into traditional archery. Nice bow, and didn't break the bank, too much. I am ok to about 15 yards and then it falls apart pretty quick
    I got back into archery about 4 months ago, and continued to shoot split figure. I decided to take a 1-hour "beginner" course in Jan. at Lancaster Archery, and they said they only teach 3-under...so I tried it. Although all my first shots were low, my brain finally got the message. The number of shots I had been "throwing" wide has decreased drastically...mostly all shots are now scoring. I shoot in my back yard at a 18" "Black Hole" target at 20 yds. You may as well try it...just be prepared for some low shots starting out.

Post Thanks / Like

Switching from split fingers to 3 under, your subconcious mind tells you that "You're aiming too high, lower the bow!!" Your gaps will be differnt. Shooting 3 under brings the arrow up closer to your eye especially if you're anchoring with the middle finger in the corner of your mouth. Find out where your " point on" is while shooting 3 under, keep moving back ( if you can ) until the point of your arrow is on the target. I'm guessing but with a 35# bow @28" the point on will be around 30 yds. Once you know where your 'point on' is you'll be able to gap ( estimating the apparent distance between the point of your arrow and the target) better, when you go beyond your 3 under point on, switch back to split finger, and find that "point on". Now you are begining to "walk the string".
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade