Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Matter Of Draw Length (Get It Right)

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Matter Of Draw Length (Get It Right)

This draw length issue comes up quite often and there are always discussions about it. Here's my taken on the issue.

First, I think the term draw length is used too much and is not used properly. But for the sake of argument let's go with the status quo and say that it is used to denote two measurements.

There is the matter of the bow. A bow can be set for a certain draw length depending on cam size and module used, whether it be a replaceable module or a rotating one. Most bows do not come from the factory with the draw length being as it is marked. This is usually due to the rigging (string/cables) being twisted to proper specs. Most all bow draw longer than marked; that being anywhere from 1/4" to as much as 1" long. The reason it is important to have a bow's draw length physically measured with the use of a draw board.

The second an most misunderstood use of the term draw length is that of the shooter. How many have heard or read someone say " I am a xxx draw length. I say this is hogwash. As we get more educated about archery equipment many are seeing the benefits of being measured for fit. Different methods of measuring can result in different measurements. Suppose we just use the popular wingspan divided by 2.5 method for sake of discussion. A man measures out to a 29" draw so he says I am a 29" draw. For one thing he IS NOT a 29" draw. All it means is that by this method it is suggested that a BOW with a 29" draw would fit him. Other methods might give a slightly different number, but you get the idea. The SHOOTER does NOT have a draw length per se.

Now let's add another variable to the picture; STRING LOOPS. It is sometimes said that a string loop does not change the draw length. Well, yes and no. If we're talking about the bow then this is correct. However, if we're talking about the shooter then things change. Assume a guy needs a bow with a draw length of 29" and finds this to be his optimum, meaning this is what length it takes to align the bow arm, chest, and drawing arm to the point where the bow holds and aims the most solid; with the least amount of float (movement on the target). Now he adds a string loop, say 3/4" long (quite common). Now all of a sudden he is stretched out (29 3/4") farther than his optimum length should be and his aiming goes to pot.

So in this context it is why I say a string loop does change the overall draw length of the SHOOTER. Some say it just changes your anchor points, but in this context isn't it the same thing?
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

2. Likes wscywabbit, otisT liked this post
    Senior Member Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Barry,
    What do you think of this video?

Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

4. Likes otisT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I while heartedly agree....

I can't count how many threads I've seen claiming that a string loop doesn't change your DL...it moves your anchor point back, meaning your draw arm is going to be back farther...thereby changing YOUR DL

My question is,
    If you change your D-loop from say 1/2" to 1", should you shorten the BOWS DL by 1/2"?....

it'll mean losing a lil speed, but the correct anchor seems to be worth the loss
    2010 Alien Z (Hybrix 2), 29", 65lb
    2011 Firecat 400(Nitro 2), 29", 62lb
    2012 Silencer(Nitro 2), 29", 60lb
    Old PSE Infinity(dual cam), 30", 70lb, LH

"If you don't respect yourself, I can't respect you"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SixShooter14 View Post
    I while heartedly agree....

I can't count how many threads I've seen claiming that a string loop doesn't change your DL...it moves your anchor point back, meaning your draw arm is going to be back farther...thereby changing YOUR DL

My question is,
    If you change your D-loop from say 1/2" to 1", should you shorten the BOWS DL by 1/2"?....

it'll mean losing a lil speed, but the correct anchor seems to be worth the loss
    Not being a professional or a geometric scientist I can only put it this way. The girl I coach measured 24" (center of breast bone to crease in the wrist) this past winter. We adjusted so often I couldn't count how many times till we got the bow set as best we could for her shooting style. When I put her bow on my draw board I measured from the grip to the inside of the loop. This measurement was 23 7/8" AMO and she shot like an 11 year old champion. So YES, the actual bow setting was 5/8" less to allow for the loop.

This just goes to show what I am alluding to. By taking the time and perseverance to find the OPTIMUM draw length for her it ended up not being based on a measurement of 24". Close, but not right on. And the bow's measurement included the length of the loop, as it does have an effect on body alignment, which is what we're looking for.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

By the same token, you could extend the bows DL, by hooking her release on the string?
    Correct???

I think a comfortable, CONSISTENT anchor is the important thing.....like you said, when the pin floating is minimized and your back is holding the draw that's gonna be your DL...regardless of measurements

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SixShooter14 View Post
    By the same token, you could extend the bows DL, by hooking her release on the string?
    Correct???

I think a comfortable, CONSISTENT anchor is the important thing.....like you said, when the pin floating is minimized and your back is holding the draw that's gonna be your DL...regardless of measurements
    Can't change the release as it's a True Fire Hard Core Max; a loop release with just a hook. The thing with her is that she's 11 years old and growing. She now measures 24 1/4" and that's as short as I can make the bow so it's working out pretty well for now. Who knows what the heck she'll need come indoor season in December. Now I'm the one who shoots right off the string.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to think, just rattle off what's in brain.

Bow's draw length, your draw length, draw length fitted to you
    Variables - loop added to bow string. Type of and length of release aid.

Bow companies spit out every once in a while; "Accuracy comes from the Wall." The wall, of course, is the bow at full draw, cables into the module grooves, positive draw stops on the limbs, whatever you want to call it. Why from the Wall? Because it is a positive start point.

Barry knows when the bow's draw length doesn't fit him. I know when the bow's draw length doesn't fit me. Our personal bows we know best. 1/8" long can feel terribly long.... Mods to best setting, we twist strings or change d-loop lengths or both.

Anchor point is established by type of release. It's bone to bone, not forced, and repeatable without thought. It's "perfect." Why would you change from "perfect?" D-loop doesn't change draw length? What if the d-loop is 4 inches long? Where are you going to anchor?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 08-01-2014 at 10:42 AM.
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    Anchor point is established by type of release. It's bone to bone, not forced, and repeatable without thought. It's "perfect." Why would you change from "perfect?" D-loop doesn't change draw length? What if the d-loop is 4 inches long? Where are you going to anchor?
    I'm still a novice archer, but shouldn't you anchor in the same spot, regardless of d-loop length???

If you change your d-loop from 1" to 4"...then you should adjust the BOW DL -3"......thereby maintaining your correct anchor at full draw

Post Thanks / Like

You're thinking too hard I have question marks. 1) There is no reason to change the "perfect" anchor. 2) People say a d-loop doesn't change draw length, you anchor farther back - read on. I asked; "What if the d-loop was 4 inches long?" followed by the question; "Where are you going to anchor?" Well, you can't anchor behind your head, so the bow's draw length has to be modified in some manner to fit the shooter.

Note; I noted Barry and I can tell the difference of 1/8" too long for draw length, but some who are more sensitive can tell of draw length off by as little as 1/16", even .040".
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 08-01-2014 at 02:48 PM.
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

Since drawing a bow involves pulling the string to your anchor point, any change in anchor point means a change in the draw length. Simple logic. Anyone that thinks differently needs to spend some time watching some Bill Nye episodes....

This reminds of the time an archer was trying to convince me that an arrow kept accelerating after leaving the string.
    Durandal
    Scepter V
    53.4 # 29.5 DL
    Victory HV Arrows
    Finger Shooter "Instinctive"