Thread: What arrows are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What arrows are you using?

What arrows are you using? I have a 35 lb bow. I am on my 4th set of arrows . I swear, I will never buy arrows from an archery shop again. The best tuning arrows I have ever bought, I bought on my own, mail order. A guy at the shop said these arrows should do better. They are so under spined my unfletch arrows are 1.5 ft to the left of my target. My fault, I did not check I just took his word for it. He was so very helpful with my shooting. Arrows are 29.5 inches
    Carbon Express predator II 700 spine 700 with 75gr tips, 4 inch fletching unfletch 2 inches to the right.
    Carbon Express predator II 4550 spine 500 with 100gr tips, 4 inch fletching unfletch 1foot + to the left. I am going to have to put these up for sale. They should be great for someone shooting a 50lb bow.
    I also have.
    Vforce by Victory 600 spine 150 grain tips. The unfletch shoot about 4 inches to the left

I want to shoot 100grain tips. Guess I will need an 800 spine. Just seems way to light for a 35# bow.

The first shop I went to sold me Easton excel 500 spined arrow These were way too stiff also.

Post Thanks / Like

500 spine sounds light to me. That's what I'm using at 27" with 80 gr points and 35lb. limbs, but I'm drawing about 26".
    'Why you stuck on 100 gr8 tips? Doesn't matter, but at your length I'd be more inclined to give a 400 spine a try. Also might try a different rest, something with a cushion plunger.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using what the archery shop recommended, and they seem to be working fine...Beman ICS Hunter Jr carbon made for bows under 40# (mine are 30# and 20# bows). I don't know if they are the best possible arrows to match my bows, but I see no reason to be chasing after alternatives at this point in time. I'm using cheap ($2.50) plastic Hoyt Hunter stick-on arrow rests on both bows. I replace them every 800 or so arrows. I'm trying not to turn my archery into "rocket science"...KISS and have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stevtech View Post
    What arrows are you using? I have a 35 lb bow. I am on my 4th set of arrows . I swear, I will never buy arrows from an archery shop again. The best tuning arrows I have ever bought, I bought on my own, mail order. A guy at the shop said these arrows should do better. They are so under spined my unfletch arrows are 1.5 ft to the left of my target. My fault, I did not check I just took his word for it. He was so very helpful with my shooting. Arrows are 29.5 inches
    Carbon Express predator II 700 spine 700 with 75gr tips, 4 inch fletching unfletch 2 inches to the right.
    Carbon Express predator II 4550 spine 500 with 100gr tips, 4 inch fletching unfletch 1foot + to the left. I am going to have to put these up for sale. They should be great for someone shooting a 50lb bow.
    I also have.
    Vforce by Victory 600 spine 150 grain tips. The unfletch shoot about 4 inches to the left

I want to shoot 100grain tips. Guess I will need an 800 spine. Just seems way to light for a 35# bow.

The first shop I went to sold me Easton excel 500 spined arrow These were way too stiff also.
    A couple of questions.. you're shooting fingers? Vanes or Feathers? How's your release? How long have you been shooting? Unless you have a very clean release, vanes are going to be problematic for you, they are not forgiving! Most folks have better flight, more consistant flight with feathers, as a feather grabs more air, and stabilizes faster. I'm inclined to agree with Joe, keep it simple. Also like that Hoyt rest for an elevated rest on a recurve, its been around a long time, and for good reason, it works well.
    How deep into tuning did you want to go? I just read a thread on Old school tuning yesterday over on Trad Gang and a couple of thoughts keep repeating, one you've mentioned ( highlighted in blue ) and the other Joe hit on, "Keep it simple." Here's the link. It's 7 pages long!

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimateb...c;f=1;t=135090
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 03-11-2014 at 09:18 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Diablo TD 35# 4 inch feathers. Split fingers release. Nap centerrest flipper. Shot a lot as a kid, but just got back into it about a year ago. I have shot nearly everyday. I can't always do it but at 25 yards I can put all 5 of my arrows in a 3inch spot.
    All I have read says that unfletched and fletched should fly to the same spot. The unfletched will not be as straight in the target.
    If they don't fly to the same spot, then you are hitting the fletching, or something is throwing it off center, and you are compensating for that when you shoot the fletched arrows. This makes you shot less forgiving.
    If unfletched goes to the left, more flexible arrows, higher spine, or heavier tips bring them in. If the unfletched goes to the right then you need more stiff arrows or lighter tips.
    More versatility, more big or small game tips are around 100 grains.
    My problem may be something else. But changing spine and tip weight seem to make the corrections toward the direction I would expect. I just can't get them in center.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you're grouping at 25 yds, you're pretty consistant, so you're releasing cleanly. Are the CE p II 700 shafts consistantly 2" right? If so, I'd say thats pretty darn close, unless you plan on shooting a lot of unfletched arrows. Not perfect, but....
    I'm guessing that you've already tried the CE p II 700s with the 100gr points, or you wouldn't be asking, right? Maybe moving your rest in a little might help.Or as Barry suggested, a new rest with a cushion plunger.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 03-11-2014 at 07:35 PM.
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

7. Thanks Stevtech thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am also shooting a 35lB Bow and the builder recommended a 500 spine arrow. So I bought some Gold Tip Velocity XT's left them full length, 30" added 125grn. tips and 3 right helical 4" shield cut feathers. My draw is 29".DSCN1452.JPG

9. Thanks Stevtech thanked for this post
    Likes Stevtech liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Elkslayer, I did try the hundered grain points in fact that was the original points on the arrows. It seemed to be a little further the the right with my unfletched. So then I went to 85 then 75. And they kept moving to center. I have some 100grain small game tips I would like to use. But if I change points and I am two inches or three inches off I miss.

Hi Bob, Your set up sounds almost exactly like mine, except you are shooting off the shelf. Have you shot any unfletched arrows?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I left one arrow unfletched and it groups with the others fine. This tuning is only rocket science if you choose it to be, I choose not to spend more than is necessary to get decent arrow flight. One thing you can do if you wish is to shoot with a dloop and release to eliminate some of the human factor, it may give you confidence that your arrows are indeed spined right. RELAX and they will fly. I also shoot 3 under which I feel helps with a cleaner release for me. I am so impressed with the arrows I chose that I now shoot the same arrow out of my 50lb Onza, they shoot great, feathers and all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Since you're grouping at 25 yds, you're pretty consistant, so you're releasing cleanly. Are the CE p II 700 shafts consistantly 2" right? If so, I'd say thats pretty darn close, unless you plan on shooting a lot of unfletched arrows. Not perfect, but....
    I'm guessing that you've already tried the CE p II 700s with the 100gr points or you wouldn't be asking, right? Maybe moving your rest in a little might help.Or as Barry suggested, a new rest with a cushion plunger.
    Yeah, I figured that you had already tried the 100gr points. As I understand it, your unfletched CE 700 is impacting 2" right of the fletched arrows, as long as its consistant, if you use the 100 gr points, on the fletched arrows, you will soon be instintivly moving them over to center. A couple of days of practice and you'd be grouping again. Heck man, don't want to say get the CE Pred IIs in 800s, ( thats the way you're trending, right? ) you've already bought 4 sets of arrows, and the darn things are spendy. As I mentioned before maybe moving the rest out a bit may help.

13. Thanks Stevtech thanked for this post
    Likes Stevtech liked this post