Thread: Shot placement

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shot placement

This video has been on several sites under the heading of shot placement. I would take this shot all day long at 40 yards & under. What do you say??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrWYu...ature=youtu.be
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

All day long, any day, if I was shooting my compound, the recurve I'd wait another 10 - 15 yards, hoping for a bit more broadside shot, as long as he kept comming in that direction. But if he turned, even at 40 I'd drop the string on him!
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 03-12-2014 at 07:05 PM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard this is a great shot area for an Elk if you can make it. Seems like a lot of people commenting don't agree ...
    Last edited by droppixel; 03-13-2014 at 04:49 PM.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

DEAD IS DEAD but a risky shot on a deer that might JTstring. I would have liked to have done the autopsy on that one for the tenderloins of course.

Post Thanks / Like

The chest is a large target on an elk, and as seen in the vid, the bull just stood there until after the arrow hit him, then his front knees buckled, but way too late, he was hit hard. But as I said, shooting a recurve, I'd be a bit more cautious with his looking right at me. On the other hand, it depends upon the sitution, first buck I took with my Slayer was at 35 yds, on the other side of a noisy creek, he stood there offering almost the same shot, arrow entered in front of his left foreleg and exited behind the right foreleg, leaving a busted rib on both sides, a golfball sized hole in his lungs, and a cut in the top of his heart. Stood there after the shot, occasionally shaking his right foreleg, and then walked away, stopping to cough then continuing, made about 30 yds before he went down.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I think the boy got lucky and hit the carotid artery. A very small target even on an elk. Personally I would have waited for a better angle and passed on that shot. Got to admit, though, that the blood just poured out of that critter.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

7. Likes webbnate_45 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a small sweet spot in the front of an elk but its not much bigger than softball Id take that shot at 15 yards and in only thats just me I shot a bull with my rifle once and when I was processin him I found a Magnus buzzcut in his neck meat just to left of that shot that kid took
    2013 Martin Onza Xt
    2012 Martin Cougar Fc
    2011 Martin Ridge Hunter turned Silencer
    2006 Martin Cougar 4se
    Fred Bear Grizzly @ 45lbs and Shakespear wonderbow @ 50lbs
    Love bows and everything bout bow hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow,! Killed a cow elk a few years ago on a front shot, went 5 yards. You have the other end too. Here in AZ will call that one a "Texas Heart shot". Just shoot a little hi. Eee haaa little Doggie.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator