Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best arrows for Jaguar 45lb recurve

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Best arrows for Jaguar 45lb recurve

I just got my new jaguar #45lb bow today and wanted to get some advice on strings,arrows,sights,and any other helpful info. I have read ten charts and each one says something different. The gist is that I should look for arrows with like a 5000 to 6000 or .500 to .600gr range. I just wanted info from other Martin bow owners on what worked well for them.

2. Likes Stevtech liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First off, welcome to the forums. Now I'll make an attempt to answer your questions using my limited experience.

String---unless you happened to get an exceptional string I would replace it or at the very least have it completely reserved. First thing is to string the bow and measure the brace height. It's supposed to be 7". I'd twist the string to make it 7 1/4" to allow for some stretch. The string will most likely stretch quite a bit and the servings often come loose. If you stay with the factory string then check the brace height periodically for brace height and retwist as necessary.

Rest--- The rest with the bow will work OK for a while, but if you're going to be shooting the bow a lot I would look at replacing it with something more adjustable and durable. Some sort of flipper/plunger would be a good choice. A rest such a Star Hunter or AAE Free Flight is good. These would be primarily for shooting fingers, but will work if you plan to use a release. Check www,lancasterarchery.com and see some of the options.

Sight---Won't comment too much on that as I don't presently use one on my recurve, except to say that price and use will dictate which to use. Any sight will fit, but how many bells and whistles do you need?

Arrows---This is a biggy. Yeah, there are a lot of choices and various charts. Choosing an arrow with the correct spine or close to it is what's most important. A lot of factors to consider to get the right spine; arrow length, bow weight, tip weight, fletching style, etc. Not knowing some of these things I'd take an educated guess and say that with a 100 gr tip, 28-29" arrow with feather fletching you'll probably need something like a 400 spine (finger shooting calls for a stiffer arrow than that for release).
    My personal setup, 35# and 27" arrow, 80gr tip, I find I need a 500 spine. 600 was not stiff enough. This is partly where it's nice to have a rest with some adjustability. If you have a shop anywhere close I'd go and try several different shafts to see what might work best. Then when you buy get only a half dozen. Your choices are going to be basically carbon or aluminum. You can shoot either, but carbon will be more durable over time and you can buy inexpensive carbons for starters. Easton or Gold Tip come to mind. When picking arrows don't use the labels on the shafts. Some, like Carbon Express use labeling such as 250/350 or Gold Tip will say 5575 or 7595. Always cross reference this with a spine chart--the info is available or ask here and we'll get you going.

Lastly---Have fun.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

4. Likes Stevtech liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had three different strings on my bow before I took a light rat tail file to the limbs to round off the corners. I have posted more detail on this in the past. It seems to be much better now. Serving isn't coming apart at the tips. I have a diablo but it is the same limbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stevtech View Post
    I had three different strings on my bow before I took a light rat tail file to the limbs to round off the corners. I have posted more detail on this in the past. It seems to be much better now. Serving isn't coming apart at the tips. I have a diablo but it is the same limbs.
    I just did the same with my limbs this morning, but the problem I was referring to was not caused by the limbs, but plain old poor serving procedures. They didn't separate so much as just unraveled. This was on brand new bows. My bow is also a Diablo TD, 2013 model, and my factory servings lasted without separation. The problem I had was that I had to add 45 twists to the string to reach the proper brace height. Not that twisting is such a bad thing. I'm just mentioning it so others know what might and can be done.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

7. Likes Stevtech liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All good stuff to know Barry, hope to have mine within a week or so after Martin can get the order processed. Been going back and forth with them a little. Think Jason is going to be dropping an email at some point to work out the final details.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    All good stuff to know Barry, hope to have mine within a week or so after Martin can get the order processed. Been going back and forth with them a little. Think Jason is going to be dropping an email at some point to work out the final details.
    Ah-ha, taking a walk on the traditional side. As always Barry brings up good points and one of them is shooting with fingers requires a stiffer arrow than release shooting does, keep this in mind when ordering arrows.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Ah-ha, taking a walk on the traditional side. As always Barry brings up good points and one of them is shooting with fingers requires a stiffer arrow than release shooting does, keep this in mind when ordering arrows.
    Yeah, I've had my Diablo TD since last June and put about 10,000 shots thru it. Bad case of changing eye dominance left me with a case of target panic so I put the compound away for a while. Been shooting indoor league this winter with the recurve (pure instinctive) and doing quite well, considering. Been to 8 shoots and have five 1st place ribbons and two 2nd place. So seeing as I hadn't shot fingers or recurve for 38 years I consider it quite an accomplishment. Kind of learning some of the simpler aspects of archery all over again.

One was about arrow spine. With 35# limbs I'm shooting a 500 spine (27") which are the same arrows I can shoot up to 63# out my compound. Learn and relearn.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

BFisher Your awesome! Thank You for the info it is very appreciated.
    Last edited by warsteiner; 03-15-2014 at 04:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Drop! I went through Amazon and the used Amazon to supply. Well they never even shipped it by the delivery date. So I cancelled and ordered through reds gear and got it early. Amazon was back ordered. I dont know who your using but this is what I did and it cost me 199 delivered. I got the whole kit three arrows sight arm guard string and arrow case.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warsteiner View Post
    Hey Drop! I went through Amazon and the used Amazon to supply. Well they never even shipped it by the delivery date. So I cancelled and ordered through reds gear and got it early. Amazon was back ordered. I dont know who your using but this is what I did and it cost me 199 delivered. I got the whole kit three arrows sight arm guard string and arrow case.
    LOL, he's the luckist guy on the site, Martin was giving a new Diablo take down to the person who could come up with new tag line for use in their ads, DP sugested "Take your best shot", folks at Martin liked it and are using it, so DP gets a new Diablo. 2nd free bow in the last couple of years, the other being a compound with Martin's newest cam system.
    In another of your posts, you mentioned hunting. Do you intend to hunt with your new Jaguar? From what I've read in your posts, you're either well read or you've been involved in archery for a while. Back to you're question about arrows, are you set on using carbons? If you're going to hunt, a heavier shaft will serve you well, concider aluminum or wood. Being the ole-timer I am, I couldn't stay away from Port Orford cedar, if you're interested I can give you the link to a great supplier of POC shafts.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 03-15-2014 at 10:04 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade