Thread: Problem with Onza III

Post Thanks / Like

Default Problem with Onza III

I have a 2013 Martin Onza set for a 30.5 draw length. When the bow is set for this draw length (30.5) the cable impacts a rivet on the bottom cam, just prior to full draw and makes a clicking noise. Obviously if the cable hits this during the draw it hits it again during the release throwing off my shot. I took the bow to a well respected bow shop and they changed the cable slide .. no luck. The only way I can shoot the bow now is too shorten the draw length to around 29" which is just unsatisfactory. At 30.5 inches I am at the extreme most draw length for this bow.... still there should not be a problem. I get the feeling l there's a solution here other than shooting the bow at a shorter draw length ... which feels horrible as I am not at full draw. Working to find a Martin Authorized dealer ... wonder if you fokls had any suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Call Martin.... I thought the problem was fixed, but this was on other Martin bows....
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure that I've read posts here about increasing the draw length by a combitnation of twisting or un twisting cables and or string, and draw stop movement, I'm too hung up on my 06 Slayers to be much of a help, but if its is possible, those that know will be here to tell you how. Lot of very knowledgable folks here.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had to tune the cams with that long of a draw so this is a shot in the dark... like elkslayer said, you can play with the cam rotation by twisting/untwisting the strings and moving the draw stop, perhaps you can retard the cams enough that it doesn't click... do you have any pics of the offending rivet?
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I'm with Es45. I do recall reading something. It may be on AT also. I'm looking
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Got a hold of John at Martin. I have to bring the bow into a pro-shop. I really would rather not manipulate multiple components and/or the string/cables just to get the desired draw length. When the problem occurred initially the pro-shop changed out the cable slide (after consulting with Martin) ... that helped for only a few days. From my perspective all I should need to do is fix the bow on the appropriate draw length and forget it. I will try to post a picture.

Post Thanks / Like

I have this issue with one of my bows. It has the CAT 3 cams which are the same profile as the nitro 1.5s, the string attachment is on the outer edge of the cam, when I come to full draw, the string attachment post comes into contact with the cable producing a clicking noise. The issue was even more pronounced when I used a bent cable guard. The nitro 1.5 and nitro 2.0 cams have a different location for the string mounting post and therefore isn't a problem.

You may want to get a metal cable guard and bend it out slightly so that the cables don't contact the string post at full draw. the key is to get the angle of the cables entering the cams to be at enough of an angle to just miss the string attachment post on the cam.

If you can't solve the issue, backfit the bow with Nitro 2.0 cams.