Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many of you started with or shot the Cougar II?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How many of you started with or shot the Cougar II?

Just wondering how many of you guys shot the ole Cougar II MT-6, and did you love it as much as I love mine. Do you still have it? I am getting all these thoughts because a Slayer might be in my future, and all of a sudden I am filled with thoughts of the old Cougar II I have loved since 1981. I just love that ole bow like BB King loves his Lucille. In fact I am going to start calling my bow Lucille from now on. I mean, I am the Bluesman, so my bow has to be Lucille.

This is definitely an old guys post.
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

Post Thanks / Like

The answer here could be a great many have started with a Cougar, it seems to be one of Martin's favorite names for a bow, they've had a lot of differnt Cougar models, and a lot of other bow manufacturers as well. I have a Martin Cougar, mine's a 2004 Cougar III Elite, also have a Ben Pearson Cougar, a 62" 45#@28" recurve that dates from somewhere around 1968, still shoots strong. One of Pearson economy line, but has beautiful wood in the riser, and shoots great. Have spent hours going through old B Pearson catalogs trying to deterimine the year it was built and what wood was used, no luck.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2001 Martin cougar elite, which unfortunately has a cracked limb. Love that bow to bits but getting hard to find a replacement limb. Bought the shadowcat and found a new love [sorry Mrs!]
    2011 shadowcat
    2006 Razor x
    2001Cougar elte

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbob29 View Post
    I have a 2001 Martin cougar elite, which unfortunately has a cracked limb. Love that bow to bits but getting hard to find a replacement limb. Bought the shadowcat and found a new love [sorry Mrs!]
    I have two M-2000/2001 Cougars also, both anodized, one is anodized camo and the other is anodized Pro Red...a truly forgiving bow and a tack driver...talk about vibration though. What limbs do you have on it and at what deflection i.e. 16" strait, 17" Elite etc.?

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw in the bottom of your sig line that you have the Elite...I have a couple sets of 17" Elite limbs. The deflection is either in the 5's or the 6's...I will have to check to be sure.

Post Thanks / Like

My first compound was a ben pearson then a martin tiger got that bow shooting 246 fps
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scepterman30x View Post
    Just saw in the bottom of your sig line that you have the Elite...I have a couple sets of 17" Elite limbs. The deflection is either in the 5's or the 6's...I will have to check to be sure.
    hi there scepterman. yep 'tis the elite with 17'' limbs, but the deflection is in 7h or 8m with couple different sets [ each with one cracked limb].I normally shoot about 55# to 603 for target.I think the 6's would be a bit low don't you?
    2011 shadowcat
    2006 Razor x
    2001Cougar elte

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbob29 View Post
    hi there scepterman. yep 'tis the elite with 17'' limbs, but the deflection is in 7h or 8m with couple different sets [ each with one cracked limb].I normally shoot about 55# to 603 for target.I think the 6's would be a bit low don't you?
    Yes, I would concur. I believe that's the poundage I was getting with Z-cams and also 0 Fury cams...so yours must be some larger cams.

Post Thanks / Like

It has the single fusion cam.
    2011 shadowcat
    2006 Razor x
    2001Cougar elte

Post Thanks / Like

my first martin was a Cougar 4se great bow
    2013 Martin Onza Xt
    2012 Martin Cougar Fc
    2011 Martin Ridge Hunter turned Silencer
    2006 Martin Cougar 4se
    Fred Bear Grizzly @ 45lbs and Shakespear wonderbow @ 50lbs
    Love bows and everything bout bow hunting!!!