Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wally World "Speed Freak" arrows

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wally World "Speed Freak" arrows

I was at Wal-Mart today and I got a box of 6 Carbon Express "Speed Freak" arrows for 30 dollars. Anybody ever shot these? Over in AT one person said they were equivalent to CE Maxima Hunter. I looked on the CE website, and the Speed Freaks were not listed. They were 30 inch 55-70 lb. They had "Blazer" fletchings, 2 inch I think. Just curious if any of you had any experience with these. I have not bought arrows in 30 years. I went to Bass Pro shops today also, and I looked at the arrows there. I could not believe the price. Almost 80 dollars a box for most of them, and the Red Maxima were over a 100 a box. I got some aluminum arrows refletched recently and the box I had them in still had the price sticker on them. $12.99. It cost me more to have them refletched than I paid for them! I had to have them refletched because the fletch had dryrotted and was in crumbs. This post is more like a ramble then a question. Gotta get back on topic. Speed freaks. How do y'all like em?
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a dozen of them for Christmas they seem to be very accurate. No problems with them at all.
    Speed Freaks.jpg

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ain't kickin' the arrows, but..... Seems every year I get more and more ticked off at Carbon Express. They gives a new paint job, slap a different name on and Presto, said to be a New arrow..... 8.9 grs per inch? Speed Freak? How'd they come up with a name like this?
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering about the broadhead on this arrow making it front end heavy. I use 30 yr old wasp cam-locs that weigh about 140 grains. They are nice. Stainless 4 blade. I am thinking about the slick trick. I think they come in at 100 gr. I am probably overthinking this. I never thought about these kinds of things flinging my old xx75 2216. Veritable logs.
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say you would be pushing the limits of the spine. Said a lot is a insert and 125 grs nudges the spine....

6. Thanks CLT Bluesman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CLT Bluesman View Post
    I was wondering about the broadhead on this arrow making it front end heavy. I use 30 yr old wasp cam-locs that weigh about 140 grains. They are nice. Stainless 4 blade. I am thinking about the slick trick. I think they come in at 100 gr. I am probably overthinking this. I never thought about these kinds of things flinging my old xx75 2216. Veritable logs.
    Even though those ole Wasps weigh in at 140 gr, on those Speed Freak arrows, you have a high foc, but they'll still be lighter than the 2216's you were shooting, Bet that they'll work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    Ain't kickin' the arrows, but..... Seems every year I get more and more ticked off at Carbon Express. They gives a new paint job, slap a different name on and Presto, said to be a New arrow..... 8.9 grs per inch? Speed Freak? How'd they come up with a name like this?
    With a name like that, why all the bowhunter's who wander into Wally's world once a year to pick up new arrows for their yearly hunt will be thinking " boy, I'll just bet these are gonna be super fast"
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 03-26-2014 at 11:17 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure CE makes good arrows, but I always have to laugh at the marketing. Saw a video a few years ago about their "dual spine weight forward" design. A guy took an arrow, cut it perfectly in half. Both halves weighed the same. Put them on a spine tester, and both registered the same spine. After that, I stopped paying attention to CE. To me, a "fast arrow" should be around 5-6 gpi. The 8,9 is what I use for deer hunting. lol
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

What Ehunter said!!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I am not the sharpest broadhead in the the quiver!! What does "high foc" mean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    I'm sure CE makes good arrows, but I always have to laugh at the marketing. Saw a video a few years ago about their "dual spine weight forward" design. A guy took an arrow, cut it perfectly in half. Both halves weighed the same. Put them on a spine tester, and both registered the same spine. After that, I stopped paying attention to CE. To me, a "fast arrow" should be around 5-6 gpi. The 8,9 is what I use for deer hunting. lol
    Not entirely true, the weight thing and this goes back a ways. First, CE's all camo coated arrow of years past. Neat looking, but unnecessary as black got the job done, so a marketing ploy that seems to have paid off. BUT! When fletching arrows the camo took a beating by either being scraped off or cleaning solvents turning the camo to mush. Oh yeah, that looks good

So next came the Hunter with only the forward 3/4 or 2/3s of the arrow camo... That then camo weighed some and where at? The forward part of the arrow. Back then we could scrub off all the camo and have a lighter arrow. And I still have some of them. I forget exactly when the CX line was fazed out with the coming of the Maxima and Maxima Hunter, .7 grs difference in weight. The CXs replaced and on sale I bought a bunch. Anyway, farther on, say around 2007 or 2008 CE upped the weight of the Maxima line. The charts lie.... Not once have I found a Maxima arrow in either 250 or 350 that will weigh as little as the CX line... I can't get a Maxima 250, not a lone a 250 Hunter, down to the 314 grs. I could get a CX200 down to. I could find out exactly, but not at the shop to weigh out all. For sure not even down to 350 grs. My finished Select CX300s weighed 375 grs throughout the first dozen I first bought. And then the finding of matched dozen of arrows don't weigh the same as the next matched dozen. Arrows are packed by weight and straightness. I have CX300s dozens that vary as such, 375 grs, 378 grs in the Select line and 380 grs and 383 grs. in the CX300 standard line. Nice back then was Rebels, standard and Select. The CXL line was introduced and this when I switched to them. Today, CE has 22 models of arrows.

Of note; I've probably told of this before; I ordered a dozen CX300 Selects. The stupid archery department attendants got in several dozen and broke open the packages and threw them in the bin.... I called for the store manager and explained the issue. He didn't believe me and I had him call Carbon Express. When he was through with the call he turned to me and said he would have a new dozen in a couple of days. Yes, package by weight and straightness... He then told the attendants to never again break open a box or package of arrows again. Well, I was at this store the other day and again they have arrow bins. When I went to work at the shop I saw stand up bins and told the boss right off that this was wrong. I had to weigh arrows to prove to him that they weigh different. I spent a day weighing and sorting arrows by weight. So I had original boxed arrows which was great and I had boxed weighed arrows and I had a section for customers to buy the one or two arrows they wanted. I would not sell one arrow from the boxed ones. A customer bought a dozen or a half dozen, period.

And today, if I were to buy a CE it would be the Mayhem black shafts and no bulldog collar and be quite happy...I think....

I was baffled when people on AT began raving of the Reds, the Blues and the Mayhems. Enter the dual spine. You know, it's all nuts. The old CX series did all that the Named arrows do today. Beings I still use CX300s I can probably prove it....

Two pics. This a good enough group for 30 yards? How many remember yellow stencil?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 03-27-2014 at 10:56 AM.