Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Other "M"

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down The Other "M"

From time to time I like to check out other manufactures and see what they are offering, and tonight I checked out the other "M". Am I the only one that doesn't think they make a single good looking bow? Now like everyone else performance matters more than looks, but looks does matter, at least to me. And to me the bows they are selling are downright fugly! It's like they were eating honeycomb cheerios one morning at a design meeting and someone said... I got it! Make our bows resemble a honeycomb! Just my .02 here, getting down from my soap box now.
    Genesis 21:20 - And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.

Post Thanks / Like

It's partially your appreciation of Martin's and the fact that they make fugly bows and want twice as much for 'em!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

3. Thanks webbnate_45 thanked for this post
    Likes webbnate_45 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

webbnate, sounds like denial.... You know, rant against something and you really want it bad

Hey, just joking....
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

5. Likes madman350 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I own one of those other M bows. It may be ugly to you but it flat out performs my other bows on feel and accuracy. I bought at close out for a great price. At the time I was looking for a hunting rig that was at 32-33" ATA that I could use in a blind, tree stand an or spot and stock. At the time I was about to purchas another Martin but there future was not so bright. It may be the only other M bow that I will ever own, but it's my go to bow. I may never own another one as I just don't like them. To short ATA. Bottom line "a ugly bow to one man, may be a perfect bow to another man".
    Last edited by Tosi; 03-21-2014 at 10:05 PM.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you on them being ugly and overpriced in addition to providing no better performance. I shot a Z7 at a dealer's shop a couple of years back when I was somewhat considering a replacement for my 08 Firecat. I will admit it had a smooth draw and was pretty quiet at the shot, but no more so than my Firecat and its speed wasn't even close to my Firecat AND it was right at twice the cost new of what my Firecat cost. The ONLY thing I could find that was better was the overall final finish (all rounded/radius-ed areas with no sharp edges or unfinished machining marks) was a little better than my Firecat. So, twice the cost, not as fast or any more accurate or quiet AND having an ugly waffle grid riser - that was an easy decision to not "upgrade" to that "M" bow.
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67,5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

8. Likes webbnate_45 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

HaHA very funny Sonny! ( I just made a rhyme yay) As for the performance side mentioned, I for one don't find them to be all that superior to a Martin, if they are at all. Of course everyone has their preference and will argue for the brand they prefer. For me it isn't just about numbers, it has a lot to do with feel of the bow and what I am comfortable with. A buddy of mine bought a used "M" Drenalin' and I know he paid twice as much for it as I did the new Nemesis I bought. Your paying extra for the name, not the performance. After all, almost every manufacturer claims to have the fastest, quietest, etc. bow on the market. More than anything the point I was trying to make with the thread is that they are really ugly bows, not that they don't perform well. When both those things are taken into account they don't compare to a Martin. In my more novice I don't know a whole lot opinion
    Genesis 21:20 - And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, time out.... Who had bows out hunting where you could see them? Who had the Cream of the Crop shooting World and National events? Who fired up NASP?

You want to make money, sell bows, you spend money....in the right places. Beautiful girl that Laura is, and others (all eye candy), just didn't cut it.

Gary Studt and John Wheeler didn't make any headways either. Gary, I never heard of him until after he was gone and then I didn't care for his "performance procedure" for Martin bows. John had his "Vegas" moment and was gone the next.

Hopefully, what's his name will make a improvement....
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 03-21-2014 at 05:42 PM.
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

They are some butt ugly bows. And so overpriced. In fact I think the majority of bows are so overpriced. They cost more than most guns for crying out loud. The other M has a bow that they want over $1500 I think. That is crazy. You can have over $2000 in a new bow in a minute. Nuts.
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

12. Likes webbnate_45 liked this post
    Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always been a Mathews hater and thought the grid riser was repulsive. But I started seeing the pics on different threads and the black ones started to look more and more appealing. I was at the shop shooting a few weeks ago and made the mistake of shooting the ChillR. I didn't know til I had been shooting it awhile that it was maxed at 74# and it was so easy to pull. Smooth all the way back with no major dump in to the perfect valley. Not a "limb stop solid" wall, not mush, but it settled down to firm rest and was easy to shoot consistently off the wall. The Focus grip was very comfortable and easily repeatable. No shock, but the bottom kicked out a bit with push/pull shot and open grip. Setteling into the wall and gently squeezing the trigger it would roll forward nicely. Again,both styles easily repeatable. One of,if not the quietest bows i've ever shot. I was amazed at everything about this bow. I came home and put my SR-71 and Iron Mace on CL and both sold immediately. I've NEVER been impressed THAT much by ANY bow that I would be willing to drop that amount of cash on. That says something to me. It just sucks that it ended up being a Mathews of all things. Oh well, I guess. Future fanboy alert lol. Believe it or not,guys, this bow is smoother and quieter than my 60# Cheetah or my 70# Begal both with M-pro cams. So bash away. I'm very much enjoying my new huntin' partner.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

14. Likes Tosi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Concur Hawg, best bow I've ever shot is my z7 mag. My FC400 is also a great bow but it has Barnsdale limb that puts it over the top, my son shoots it and it's his pride and joy. I will look at the 15 Martins and see what they come up with , I like the lithium. I had a Onza and sold it, it was a good shooter but my best friend needed a bow. In the past I've had too many issue with the Power Tough limbs. Some forks had-no issues. Luck of the draw I guess, let see what Martins comes out with in 15.
    Last edited by Tosi; 03-21-2014 at 10:03 PM.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator