Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14" limbs, highest deflection?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 14" limbs, highest deflection?

I have a set of 6h, did martin make higher deflection numbers for their 14" limbs? I'm looking to see if they made an 8 or 10h.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OnzaXX View Post
    I have a set of 6h, did martin make higher deflection numbers for their 14" limbs? I'm looking to see if they made an 8 or 10h.
    I sold the Slayr to Tosi...It had 9L limbs on it. Real man's bow, lol.
    Addicted to Slayers or Slayr's, have more than one. Probably enjoy the mechanical side of archery the best. I have really enjoyed the articles and the stories on this site. I strive to help others with what little knowledge I have.

3. Likes Arrow Splitter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

9L....That would put my Onza frankenbow at 100lbs...sweet. It currently has 4H that give me 76lbs.

Now another question, can 16" limbs be cut down from the base to shorten them to 14" limbs? They started as fiberglass blanks in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never cut any limbs, but did modify some for draw weight. It is really not hard, I think since you are a tinkerer you could do it, and use a dremel or similar tool to finish the hole for the limb bolt slot after drilling with drill. Take pics as you go and share with us. If successful, I might cut some down for even 12" to get shorter brace!
    Addicted to Slayers or Slayr's, have more than one. Probably enjoy the mechanical side of archery the best. I have really enjoyed the articles and the stories on this site. I strive to help others with what little knowledge I have.

Post Thanks / Like

I think your bridged riser Onza could handle that much draw weight, not many others though.

Post Thanks / Like

9L not that bad. Got it down and dirty and pulls easy. I do bench 350Lbs at 56. Would like to get a set of H5 limbs.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mxtuner1 View Post
    I think your bridged riser Onza could handle that much draw weight, not many others though.
    I think you're right, the Onza riser is built like a tank. I'll have to go through my limbs and see which may become a candidate for shortening. I may take some down to 14.5" so I can get my Nitrous B cams to give me a 29.5" DL. They are just a tad short with 14" limbs and I don't really want to go with C cams.

Right now 80lbs isn't that bad of a draw, not sure if I can take it up to 100 though. That's alot of weight. I might tear one down tomorrow and throw the 6H limbs on there and see how it works. I'm always game for building a new bow.

100lbs sure would go right through a deer, and another, and another....

9. Thanks mxtuner1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't cutting the limbs down to a shorter limb increase the draw weight? The 2005 Nitrous String and draw charts show a 13M Elite limb for 80# draw. Of course thats a 17" limb.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 03-22-2014 at 09:44 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

11. Likes mxtuner1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep be stiffer, but that can be dealt with too. I dropped the Martin Tigress weight down for grandaughter 25 lbs by recontour in the limbs.

Post Thanks / Like

If you cut it off won't they be "artin" limbs instead of "Martin"? Lol

14. Likes wscywabbit, elkslayer4x5 liked this post