Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 14" limbs, highest deflection?

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=mxtuner1;112955]I have never cut any limbs, but did modify some for draw weight. It is really not hard, I think since you are a tinkerer you could do it, and use a dremel or similar tool to finish the hole for the limb bolt slot after drilling with drill. Take pics as you go and share with us. If successful, I might cut some down for even 12" to get shorter brace![/QUOTE]

You mean shorter than the 4 1/2" brace on your granddaughter's Tigeress?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

LOL that is really a short brace isn't it? Luckily with the upright limb angle it is a little more stable. I was wanting to experiment with of course the Slayr riser and getting down to near 5 inch brace and 360 fps!
    Addicted to Slayers or Slayr's, have more than one. Probably enjoy the mechanical side of archery the best. I have really enjoyed the articles and the stories on this site. I strive to help others with what little knowledge I have.

Post Thanks / Like

You'd need to exchange your arm guard for a wrist guard!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

4. Thanks mxtuner1 thanked for this post
    Likes mxtuner1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    You'd need to exchange your arm guard for a wrist guard!
    That would be true...speaking of which, when the Elite gt500 first came out and my son got one of the first ones, and his draw is 29.5 and mine is 28", (Momma fed him better!), he of course insisted that I scale it back once. Of course we all know that too long of draw bows your elbow gets locked and they are really hard to pull back even if you can handle that much weight safely. I let the arrow fly, hit the 10 ring to show off but did not care at all. After just a couple seconds right on the wrist I had the worst string mark I ever saw. It hurt so much it sent a lightning strike up my arm. Fighting back tears and rage when Son asked me how I liked the draw and release, I told him it was the worst bow I ever shot and since he didn't know my wrist felt like it had surgery without the benefits on anesthesia, he was baffled.
    Addicted to Slayers or Slayr's, have more than one. Probably enjoy the mechanical side of archery the best. I have really enjoyed the articles and the stories on this site. I strive to help others with what little knowledge I have.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I have a short draw, and when I go shoot bows at retailers, they are always set way too long for me... I have a nice scar on my left forearm from a string slap from such a tryout session. 70# 6" brace, 29-30" draw was a bit much... I don't like PSE anyways LOL. It smarted to say the least
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mxtuner1 View Post
    LOL that is really a short brace isn't it? Luckily with the upright limb angle it is a little more stable. I was wanting to experiment with of course the Slayr riser and getting down to near 5 inch brace and 360 fps!
    Would 12" limbs give you this BH? That would be a smokin' fast bow.

The first time I put a set of 14" limbs on my onza, I used some strings that were a bit to long, ended up with a 6" brace height. It was not much fun to shoot, the second iteration I got the strings the right length and it worked out much better.