Thread: Finally got my arrows tuned

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finally got my arrows tuned

I finally got arrows tuned to my bow. At least as near as I can with my not so great shooting. That is good enough for me. Here is some information that my prove helpful to someone.
    Martin Diablo TD 35# I have a 28 draw.

Carbon Express II 2040s 29 ,100 grn points ,4 inch feathers. These have a spine of about 623. Fletched and unfletched, no difference that I can tell out to 35 yards. At about 85 yards the unfletched sail above the fletched. I think this is the drag of the feathers. I have about a 3foot grouping at 85 yards. Not nearly close enough to shoot geese on the fly. ;-)

Carbon Express 700 29 , 65 grain points; 4 inch feathers. These are the same fletched and unfletched. With 100grain points the unfletched fly a couple of inches to the right of unfletched at 20 yards.

Carbon Express 600 with 125 grn points Unfletched fly 3 or 4 inches to the left at 20 yards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stevtech View Post
    I finally got arrows tuned to my bow. At least as near as I can with my not so great shooting. That is good enough for me. Here is some information that my prove helpful to someone.
    Martin Diablo TD 35# I have a 28 draw.

Carbon Express II 2040s 29 ,100 grn points ,4 inch feathers. These have a spine of about 623. Fletched and unfletched, no difference that I can tell out to 35 yards. At about 85 yards the unfletched sail above the fletched. I think this is the drag of the feathers. I have about a 3foot grouping at 85 yards. Not nearly close enough to shoot geese on the fly. ;-)

Carbon Express 700 29 , 65 grain points; 4 inch feathers. These are the same fletched and unfletched. With 100grain points the unfletched fly a couple of inches to the right of unfletched at 20 yards.

Carbon Express 600 with 125 grn points Unfletched fly 3 or 4 inches to the left at 20 yards.
    You're correct, that would be due the drag of the feathers. Long ways to shoot an unfletched arrow. How did it fly? Any fishtailing?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, lots of fish tailing. Was fun to watch them fly. I had to go way past the target to find them, and without feathers they were harder to find. I can't normally shoot that far, but the farmer behind me cleaned out a field.
    Elkslayer, Did you go fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused here. By unfletched are you saying with vanes or bare shaft? Bare shaft at 85 yards isn't something I'd try with a compound and release. The only reason I'm asking is because vanes are fletching, too. Just plastic instead of feathers.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

No, Steve, we didn't get a chance to go as yet, have been real busy, grandson is winding up high school baseball schedule, in typical Oregon spring, Monday's game was postponed to Tuesday to give field a chance to drain last Fridays downpour away! Which meant that the boys played Tuesday and Wednesday and have a game Friday, up in SweetHome. Then grandson has voluntered to work at the High School Hall of Fame Luncheon on Saturday. Hopefully, we'll get a chance to go soon! Before he starts the Summer ball schedule, another 20 game schedule!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Yep unfletched is bare shaft. I had the room in a dirt field and just wanted to see what would happen ;-). In fact I surprised myself in hitting the target that I set up and one was a bulls eye.