Thread: A half second in Basketball.

Post Thanks / Like

Default A half second in Basketball.

I was just thinking about my Slayer I got headed my way, and 300 fps. I got the thought that it would take 1 whole second for the arrow to go 100 yards, if it could maintain that velocity over the whole span. Which it can't. So it must take who knows how long to go a hundred yards. Which means it probably takes most of a second to go half that. Now take that half second, and think about basketball. I was watching the Tarheels lose this weekend, and Roy would have given his left arm to get a half second back at the end of the game. A basketball team can do a lot in half a second. So can a deer. Which brings it all into focus for me, because I only sight my pins up to 40 yards, and will not take a shot past that. Thinking about it that way, even 40 yards is pushing it. So 300 fps is really not that fast when you think about it in terms of deer hunting.
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

Post Thanks / Like

Very good point CLT. Not to mention, the best part of hunting to me is getting myself in position to where game is within 20 yards. It's more about the battle of my brain against theirs than just taking an animal home. And I'm sure someone will point out, my brain loses occasionally. lol I used to have a link saved on my computer that would tell you the arrow speed out to 100 yards depending on the starting speed, and arrow weight. Sadly, I deleted that link at some point. Can't remember what it was either. Most of my set-ups still retained enough KE to make a clean kill on deer at 100 yards though. Usually in the 50-55# range at 100 yards. Surprisingly, the KE didn't drop nearly as much as I thought it would over 100 yards.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Very good point. On a side note my beloved Kentucky wildcats are still alive and Friday will be a huge game. go big blue!
    Genesis 21:20 - And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.

Post Thanks / Like

That was a great game last week against Wichita State!!! I was pulling for Wichita though, I mean whoever heard of them until this year.
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver