Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Starting to lose patience and respect for Martin customer service

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow Splitter View Post
    I'm glad to see that Rocky. It sounds like you just might be shooting soon.

A.S
    Yeah, I'm starting to have a brighter outlook on how this will turn out. I just completed a letter to John Nelson that will be in the shipping box, briefing him on all details of how this started and where things are now, along with my latest measurements of string/cable lengths and lack of parallel limb deflection at full draw with all the new limbs that have been installed so far. John really did sound sincere in his interest to get this resolved, with my bow being restored to its former functionality. He and others also mentioned one thing, that I was already aware of, that the timing of this situation couldn't have been worse, given the new owners taking over a bankrupt company with empty parts bins and trying to bring it back to life as not only a viable company but one that is revitalized and hopefully better than before. I hope they can pull it off, not only my repairs, but getting Martin back as a serious contender in the archery business.

Steve
    08/13 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67.5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

2. Likes Arrow Splitter, I'm DK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

hope it all works out for you
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    Quiet long enough..... I'm sorry for you, but glad some one else knows what I went through working on Martin bows at the shop and my own 2010 Shadowcat. Martin, at the factory couldn't make my Shadowcat right after I spent 2 months trying everything they sent me. And then I got a 2012 Scepter V with a riser looking like came from a scrap tub... Yeah, I know what real heart break feels like....
    Really Sonny...i wish you'd quit bad mouthin' my Scepter...we've become very close...its a sweet shootin' bow that i plan on keepin' for awhile.

Post Thanks / Like

If those cables and that string were that long, that would account for the low draw weight for sure. Surprised the tech didn't check the ATA and BH after putting things back together. That's something I always check when making the change. Seems kinda basic to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosII View Post
    Really Sonny...i wish you'd quit bad mouthin' my Scepter...we've become very close...its a sweet shootin' bow that i plan on keepin' for awhile.
    Carlos, I never shot the bow and no doubt it would have proved as accurate as of the Shadowcats I shot and owned, but picture after picture of beautiful, gorgeous Scepter Vs on AT and then I get mine....Cosmetics are part of quality... The first 2010 Shadowcat, so beautiful black and silky feeling. The next 2 Shadowcats, the carbon yuck black... My Hoyts, blue fade to black, black fade to flame, American Flag scheme, brilliant red, Red Inferno and all with chrome like limb pockets and cams.... Thoroughbreds stallions are muscle defined and shine. Indy race cars don't have flat black paint jobs and rusty wheels...

No one hopes the new owners put quality to the top of Martin any more than I ..... I shot Martins for 3 years. More than my fair share of high overalls at club events, more than my fair of placing and winning at club events... Placed 3rd and better in ASA State Qualifiers and State Championships in those 3 years.... I continued shooting Martins when others quit them. Supported competing Martin staff shooters through the shop. Labor free, practice free, equipment at cost... I did my part.....
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

7. Likes wscywabbit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosII View Post
    If those cables and that string were that long, that would account for the low draw weight for sure. Surprised the tech didn't check the ATA and BH after putting things back together. That's something I always check when making the change. Seems kinda basic to me.
    I can only speak for myself, but having had the bow sent to Martin to get assembled and everything checked out, I presumed ALL aspects, including ATA, brace height, draw weight and draw length would have been validated, and if they weren't correct, troubleshooting what was causing the problem and fixing it. The new string being 3" longer than the original, in my humble opinion, should have been caught while there but for whatever reason apparently was not. Now that John is aware of what's happened and taking charge I have a lot more confidence it will come back in good and possibly better shape than before. For Martin's sake, I hope they will be able to use this as a "lessons learned" opportunity so future customer issues are assessed accurately and fixed correctly the first time. I strongly believe that would go a LONG way towards rebuilding their reputation of having some of the best customer service in the archery industry. That's one of the big reasons I bought a Martin bow, besides the value and performance.
    08/13 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67.5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

9. Likes NuttyNative, Rangerj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyhud View Post
    I can only speak for myself, but having had the bow sent to Martin to get assembled and everything checked out, I presumed ALL aspects, including ATA, brace height, draw weight and draw length would have been validated, and if they weren't correct, troubleshooting what was causing the problem and fixing it. The new string being 3" longer than the original, in my humble opinion, should have been caught while there but for whatever reason apparently was not. Now that John is aware of what's happened and taking charge I have a lot more confidence it will come back in good and possibly better shape than before. For Martin's sake, I hope they will be able to use this as a "lessons learned" opportunity so future customer issues are assessed accurately and fixed correctly the first time. I strongly believe that would go a LONG way towards rebuilding their reputation of having some of the best customer service in the archery industry. That's one of the big reasons I bought a Martin bow, besides the value and performance.
    That's what I was saying. All the problems with your bow should have been evaluated and proper repairs made. Quite possibly the person(s) working in the warranty dept are not experienced enough yet to do this and are just parts replacers/assemblers, so to speak. I don't know who John Nelson is or what position he holds, but now that you have talked at length with somebody that will get involved I would think your bow will be done properly. Let's hope so.

These are the kinds of things that somebody in middle or upper management need to know about. Just like the threads and posts on here making suggestions on how to improve their equipment. If customers just sit back and accept the status quo management may never find out some of the problems needing addressed. Got something to say? Don't go on an internet forum and rant and rave. Try to discuss things in a rational manner and contact somebody at the factory that can do something about it. That's how problems get solved. This isn't to criticize anybody here. Just a general statement.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

11. Thanks wscywabbit, Arrow Splitter, elkslayer4x5 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You make some good points, Barry. The way I started into this was to get the shop where I bought the bow involved, figuring they already had reasonably good connections and rapport with the manufacturer. I also thought, with their working the issue that I would not complicate matters by working it in parallel, possibly creating a "too many cooks in the kitchen" type scenario. It wasn't until Pat Finney contacted John Nelson and then recommended I also contact him that I personally and directly got involved. I'm also not going to try to figure out where any blame should be directed as by now I think with John getting involved, and presuming he has some clout in the customer service area, that he'll hopefully be able to address any training or other aspects that may have come to light so future customer repairs are processed more effectively for Martin and the customer. BTW, I just got the bow ready for shipment to Martin, thanks to the guys at Sportsman's Warehouse, who found an appropriate box and will ship it out today at their expense as a warranty expense. As I learn more about things I'll update this thread so anyone can follow along to the end of the process.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the latest. I received a call from John Nelson fairly early this morning. He said my bow arrived at Martin last Friday and after working on it, he was now getting ready to send it back to me today. He said he found the string and cables were indeed too long so these were replaced. He also said he installed lighter limbs - didn't say what the previous set's deflection or DW weight rating was, only that the newest limbs were lighter. He then said the ATA and brace height were back to original (32-3/8" ATA and 7.0" brace height) and that DW peaked at 71-lbs with the limbs bottomed out. These specs are exactly what the bow had before. After he told me all this I thanked him for all his efforts and acknowledged Martin wasn't obligated to do any of this warranty work, but I that I am very grateful none the less. If I can draw any conclusions from this it sounds like my bow will be back to normal and in my hands again very soon. I can't wait to check it out and get it set up again (install sight, rest, etc., that I removed before shipment to Martin).

14. Likes Rangerj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm happy for you... Hope it exceeds your expectations...
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself