Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Starting to lose patience and respect for Martin customer service

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Rocky.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Not to give anybody a pat on the back, but I hope your bow meets or exceeds your expectations. Just a reminder for the future, for you and anybody else that might read this, give the right people the right information in a nice manner and you might get a good surprise.

Rocky, I'm sure you'll keep us posted as to your progress. If you don't I'll ban you-----LOL.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Rest assured, Barry and everyone, I will definitely keep this thread updated as anything new happens. I hope by tonight the tracking number I got from John will be useful and able to provide some indication of the return shipment location and expected delivery date. Then the moment of truth. I can't wait!
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67,5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

Well, according to the FedEx tracking system my bow should arrive at home today. My wife will be there to receive it and will carefully open it to see if it made the trip in one piece ;>). I can't wait to see it and get my hands on it again. Then comes the task of reinstalling everything, and presuming initial shots indicate the bow is all good again, fine tuning it. It's almost like waiting for a Christmas or birthday present that you've been wanting for a long time.
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67,5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

5. Likes Arrow Splitter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont forget pics when u get it so we can see glad to hear the good news for ya

7. Likes Arrow Splitter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My bow is back and appears to be in good shape! After getting the box in the house and opening it and seeing that it was in one piece and appeared to be in good shape overall, I called Martin Archery to tell John Nelson a big thanks for all he did. After that I gave it a close visual inspection and took several pics and noted a few differences between the previous times it was worked on and this time. The most obvious was in the area of the roto-cups. The first time Sportsman's Warehouse got replacement parts, the roto-cups had small metal buttons for the limbs to rest on. This time the roto-cups had slightly larger white plastic (or something similar in appearance) buttons that also raised the limbs a little higher/further above the roto-cups. For perspective, in the first instance with metal buttons, the top edge of the roto-cup side wings were above the tops of the limbs where in this last instance with plastic buttons, the top edge is level with the tops of the limbs. In other words, there is more daylight between the roto-cups and limbs now. I'm guessing one of two things here. Either in the first instance someone maybe not familiar with the bow and what parts to use put it together with metal buttons instead, or perhaps this was an engineering change in which Martin determined there was some performance and/or reliability benefits with the plastic buttons. Other than that I didn't see any other difference in parts outside the shorter string and cables.

I also measured ATA and brace height and grabbed the string to pull back a little to get a quick feel for draw weight. The ATA measured 32-1/8" (slightly less than before but still OK) and brace height measured 7-1/8" (1/8" more than before). Since the new string didn't have a D-loop (yet) I decided it was best to check draw weight on my scale after I installed one. The partial yank I did gave me the impression it's definitely more than the 45-50 lbs it had the times before. After that I started reinstalling everything I had removed and got most everything back on except for the string stops. I had cut a little length off the lower rod earlier (to accommodate the shorter brace height) and now it was just a little shorter than I like, so I'm going to make another from 3/8" aluminum rod. I also need to build another rod for my custom upper string stop for the same reason and because I recently decided to incorporate some more ideas and parts from Bear Archery - I bought some of their offset string stop rubber pieces so I could gain more clearance for the cables to draw towards the center (eliminate interference between string stops and cables) if/when I implement another torque reducing device like I had when the bow had original CAT cams. I noticed with the Nitro 3 cams, the cables' positions, relative to each other, are just a little different than they were with the CAT cams, and slightly rub each other when I tried using the bent cable guard rod I made that allows the cables to draw towards the center, much like the ill conceived Martin TRG/SOS system but using a bent rod and slide instead. I'll have to ponder about that a little, but I'm thinking about fabricating something like Bear is using on their Agenda series that has a floating cable guide that pivots on a hinged arm that allows the cable guide to move backward and toward the center at full draw while still keeping the cables from contacting each other. If and when I come up with that setup I'll be sure and post it for anyone who might be interested.

Back on topic, I hope to complete the bow setup and take some shots with it this weekend. I'll post updates on how that goes and my impressions of how the new parts feel, perform and sound.
    Last edited by Rockyhud; 04-12-2014 at 12:05 AM. Reason: wording correction

9. Likes Arrow Splitter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a little more info since my last post. I tied my D-loop on and measured the draw weight as it came from Martin. It maxed out slightly above 73-lbs. I turned the limb bolts out a couple of full turns and it's now peaking slightly above 65-lbs - right where I had it before. I also found another lower string stop rod that was long enough and mounted it along with a Limbsavers dampener so that it just touches the string and took about 20 shots with it setup like that. My first impression with Nitro 3 cams is I like them a little more than the CAT cams I used to have. At the same DW these cams are just as smooth but there is less of a hump and a smoother, less abrupt drop into the valley, compared to CAT cams and it seems a little easier pulling through to full draw, like it's set to a lower DW by a few lbs. I was also impressed with how vibe free and quiet the bow is with just the two string stops (1 original located below the nock point and 1 custom above) and a couple of small string dampeners that Martin installed and no other dampeners such as limb dampeners. I still need to tweak the draw length a little (seems a little short) and I need to tune my rest and sight just a smidge but overall I'm pretty impressed with it. I also want to shoot through my chronograph to see if there's any speed difference, primarily so I can determine if I need a new sight tape or not. Also, with the way it feels pulling to full draw I might tweak the DW up a little to see how that feels. More to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for taking so long to update this thread. With warmer weather and a long honey-do list I had to divert attention to things other than my bow. So, without further adieu, I want introduce my resurrected 08 Firecat.

First off, I want to thank everyone for your feedback and encouragement, and especially to middleman for contacting Martin and recommending I call John Nelson, which made everything happen the way it did. I also want to express my gratitude to the new Martin company for going above and beyond for basically rebuilding my bow when they were under no obligation to do so. For me, this says volumes about how they are really trying to re-establish the company's superb customer service reputation and in my eyes they have done so.

As I have several pics to upload I may have to split this into more than one posting so you get to view all that Martin did and so I can show some of the details I captured to share. The first pics are the bow just as I got it out of the shipping box (I had removed all accessories before sending it in).

Rebuilt Firecat left side out of the box.jpg

Rebuilt Firecat right side out of the box.jpg

Here are a few pics of the new limbs, roto-cups, cams and string/cables and string dampeners. One thing I noticed that was different from the earlier Martin rebuild attempt was the addition of plastic buttons between the roto-cups and limbs where the earlier rebuild had smaller metal buttons. I presume this was due to Martin discovering this relieves stress on the limbs better and possibly helping with making a quieter shot. I also noticed these plastic buttons are taller and raised the position of the limbs a little as compared to the metal buttons - the tops of the side wings are now level with the limb surface where with the metal buttons they topped out a little higher than the limb.

New roto-cups with plastic buttons.jpg

New roto-cups with plastic buttons - front view.jpg

Rebuilt Firecat - new cams string cables and dampeners.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

To continue with my update here are a few more pics. I'm almost finished as about all I need to do now is serve the string where the new dual string stops contact the string and replace the moleskin on the arrow rest fork that's been in place for 2-3 years. I also need to wax the new string - haven't done so since getting the bow back from service. These pics also show the new bent cable guard rod and new dual string stops that were inspired by what Bear has used on their line-up. I also replaced the formed rubber string dampeners with rubber cat whiskers and was once again very impressed by how much more effective whiskers are at minimizing string shot noise. I also discovered these weigh less than the formed dampeners - definitely a win-win. Once I get a chance to shoot through my chrono I'll post the results too. I'm curious to see if there is any difference in speed between the old original CAT and new Nitro 3 cams. BTW, so far I like the feel of the Nitro 3 cams better. They are noticeably smoother when dropping into the valley as I approach the hard wall at full draw.

Rebuilt Firecat - new cams string cables and dampeners.jpg

Rebuilt Firecat - new limbs and cams with no lean.jpg

Rebuilt Firecat back side showing bent cable rod & Bear string stops.jpg

Rebuilt Firecat left side.jpg

Rebuilt Firecat right side.jpg