Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FINALLY some long distance shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

There's nothing wrong with your setup, Naptime, if it suits you. I'm not crazy about the rest because I don't like any type of capture rest. I use a RipCord Code Red and the first thing I did with it was remove the containment bar and toss it. Then I cut down the forks so they are only about 1/2" long. I learned in bowhunter class back in the 70's about safety. Walk around with a broadhead tipped arrow, slip or fall one time and major arteries could be cut leaving you dead in the woods. Not good.

Getting back to the sight. Not bad but I researched sights for my one female student and the one main reason I didn't choose the Pursuit is because it didn't have toolless adjustment for windage. For that, weight considerations, and money I chose the GWS AR-19 at $45. I've shot HHA sights for, well, decades and finally got a 5019 with toolless adjustments. So I have what I have and ain't about to spend good money chasing every new thing that hits the market.

I find it amazing that HHA has been around for along time and just the last few years so many sight makers have finally seen that there is a decent demand for single pin adjustable sights. This is a good thing because, just like with bows, everybody is competing for a piece of the action and making better and better stuff, albeit with rising prices to match the technology, but still at much lower prices than the better target sights.

Naptime, I commend you on having a nice bow, especially with the Nitrous cams. Are they "A" or "B" cams? By the looks of that target it's not shooting too bad either.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

They are A's that I was lucky enough to get from dirt dart in trade for the C's that were on it. Of course we ultimately had to swap limbs as well. Thus the jaguazor. Jaguar riser. Razor limbs.

I have the Hha on my bow tech and the trophy ridge on the martin. I like them both. Didn't find either to be better or worse with my limited experience. The pursuit is definitely lighter though. And I like the glow ring around the sight as well as the built in light.

Got it from at classifieds for like 40 bucks shipped. Still in an unopened package.

Same reason I bought the tr rest. Great find on at unopened and shipped for like 30 or 40 bucks.

I like it. Though I think I like the trophy taker drop away on the bow tech better.
    2004 Martin Jaguazor 60# 27" Twisted Archer strings. Trophy Ridge Revolution rest. Trophy Ridge Pursuit sight.
    2004 Bowtech Pro40 Wheely. 60# 27" VaporTrail strings. Trophy Taker fall away rest. HHA Optimizer lite sight.
    http://www.ToledoTees.com

Post Thanks / Like

And in other news, I haven't posted lately, but I did get more yardage.

In those first pics, I was shooting from the back porch out to the target. Got me 38 yards.

Well, I turned the target sideways to the fence, put it back in the corner, and if I walk from the target, along the back fence, behind the pool, and go to the other corner of the yard.......46 paces :-)

Not only did it give me more distance, but now I'm shooting along the fence line, and therefore completely hidden from prying eyes at the apartments. Since we can't technically shoot in the yard.

Just have to make sure no stray arrow ends up in the pool!

When I shoot, my body is facing the fence, and arrow runs parrelel with fence. Pool is halfway between me and the target. But while my arrow is only a foot from the fence, the pool is 10 feet from the fence. So I'll have to realty be goofin off to hit the pool.

Oh, other benefit, instead of having apartments beyond the target and fence. With this shooting position the only thing beyond the target and fence, is a creek, then 20 yards of trees and then the back corner of a topsoil/mulch/stone garden center place. And specifically a mountain of red sand. But that would be at least 80-100 yards from my shooting position.

I like less risk,
    2004 Martin Jaguazor 60# 27" Twisted Archer strings. Trophy Ridge Revolution rest. Trophy Ridge Pursuit sight.
    2004 Bowtech Pro40 Wheely. 60# 27" VaporTrail strings. Trophy Taker fall away rest. HHA Optimizer lite sight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naptime View Post
    And in other news, I haven't posted lately, but I did get more yardage.

In those first pics, I was shooting from the back porch out to the target. Got me 38 yards.

Well, I turned the target sideways to the fence, put it back in the corner, and if I walk from the target, along the back fence, behind the pool, and go to the other corner of the yard.......46 paces :-)

Not only did it give me more distance, but now I'm shooting along the fence line, and therefore completely hidden from prying eyes at the apartments. Since we can't technically shoot in the yard.

Just have to make sure no stray arrow ends up in the pool!

When I shoot, my body is facing the fence, and arrow runs parrelel with fence. Pool is halfway between me and the target. But while my arrow is only a foot from the fence, the pool is 10 feet from the fence. So I'll have to realty be goofin off to hit the pool.

Oh, other benefit, instead of having apartments beyond the target and fence. With this shooting position the only thing beyond the target and fence, is a creek, then 20 yards of trees and then the back corner of a topsoil/mulch/stone garden center place. And specifically a mountain of red sand. But that would be at least 80-100 yards from my shooting position.

I like less risk,
    This sounds much safer, and will give you better peace of mind. Also nice to have more room to shoot. What yardage does 46 paces convert to?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Got out there with a tape today.

EXACTLY 40 yards :-)

6. Likes Arrow Splitter liked this post