Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how many twist will it take?

Post Thanks / Like

so my cables are 37" which divided by 1.5 =26 2/3 twist and my string is 55.25 divided by 1.5 = 36.83 twist does this sound ballpark? this probably has to be done without any serving?
    2011 Firecat 400, sword twilight hunter, apa twister, lots of arrows

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So twist the cables 26 and the string 36 this will put them in the place you want to be. Assemble it and check timing. Once time is okay all you have to do is back out your limb bolts 2 full turns.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

My cougar has 5L limbs the p just stands for power tough and my bow maxes at 69.5 lbs.
    2013 Martin Onza Xt
    2012 Martin Cougar Fc
    2011 Martin Ridge Hunter turned Silencer
    2006 Martin Cougar 4se
    Fred Bear Grizzly @ 45lbs and Shakespear wonderbow @ 50lbs
    Love bows and everything bout bow hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Then I would find a new bow shop. Anyone that takes that many twists out of the string set to drop the draw weight is someone I wouldn't trust. Much easier to just back the limb bolts out, and leave the bow in specs. Modern bows don't lose enough performance when the limb bolts are backed out to worry about. A bow that far out of spec loses far more performance.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

And each turn of the limb bolt is 3 lbs. So as an example, need 6 lbs? tighten 2 full turns in. Lose three ounces? Wish I was good enough to tell the difference? I know of a pro that used to be so in tune with his equipment that the sharp edges of his riser he would round down. He could, at the same draw weight, tell the rounded down riser edge bow from one that was sharper on the edges. All I can say is wow! OK back to the pounds adjustment.
    Addicted to Slayers or Slayr's, have more than one. Probably enjoy the mechanical side of archery the best. I have really enjoyed the articles and the stories on this site. I strive to help others with what little knowledge I have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mxtuner1 View Post
    And each turn of the limb bolt is 3 lbs. So as an example, need 6 lbs? tighten 2 full turns in. Lose three ounces? Wish I was good enough to tell the difference? I know of a pro that used to be so in tune with his equipment that the sharp edges of his riser he would round down. He could, at the same draw weight, tell the rounded down riser edge bow from one that was sharper on the edges. All I can say is wow! OK back to the pounds adjustment.
    Wouldn't you be able to tell a sharp edged riser from one with rounded edges with out shooting, just by handling the risers, even blindfolded?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

7. Thanks mxtuner1 thanked for this post
    Likes wscywabbit, Arrow Splitter liked this post