Thread: Could use some help with my new bow

Post Thanks / Like

Default Could use some help with my new bow

Hey!

Some of you may remember me from this thread: "X200 vs Mamba for beginning archer?"

So I just got my bow, a Ragim 58" Black Bear (...I am aware that I am writing on a Martin forum, but I only chose it over the Martin bows because of my economy and location).
    It seems like a quite good choice, except I am having some trouble with the brace height.
    I strung it for the first time yesterday, with the traditional string that came with the bow - made for bows that are 58" AMO, just like mine is.
    The recommended brace height for the BB is 7 1/4" to 7 3/4", but when I measured the brace height after putting on the string (with a minimal amount of twists), it was closer to 9".
    Which is a lot too much ... I don't see how this is possible, but could the string be the wrong length after all?
    Should I perhaps buy a string that is closer to 60" instead?
    Because I can't get the string that I have now to be any longer at all..

I would be glad if you could offer some suggestions about this. I want my bow to be properly set up so that I can achieve something with it..

Post Thanks / Like

It should stretch about an inch or so after you break it in. Check Nordic Archers on Youtube, they have a review and mention that the string is like this.

Post Thanks / Like

FrankM is correct, new strings will stretch quite a bit, just shoot it for a while, checking the brace height occasionally, if or when the brace height gets lower than it should be, remove one end of the string and twist it enought to get to the desired brace height. Sorry that I can't tell you how much to twist but its trail and error. When you finally get the string twisted to the proper length, the bow will be at its quietest, and shoot its best. I know thats all relitive to a new archer, but you'll soon see what I mean. If your string keeps streching, you'll need to get a higher quality string. Should be some one in Sweden who builds high quality traditional strings. None of us here care what brand of bow a person shoots, we just like to offer any help that we can. You're welcome to continue to post here with any question that you have. Keep us post on your progress.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frankm View Post
    It should stretch about an inch or so after you break it in. Check Nordic Archers on Youtube, they have a review and mention that the string is like this.
    Welcome to the site Frank!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!