Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: X200 vs Mamba for beginning archer?

Post Thanks / Like

Both the Italian and the Korean bows should be avaible in Sweden, with out any import fees. Hope you find your bow, and please , tell us what you do get.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

2. Thanks Emblizz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stevtech View Post
    Samick is made in Korea.
    "Ragim 58" Black Bear" made in Italy. Martin low end recurves made in USA, TD limbs made in China. Thats what I read but don't really know.
    All are probably better than you could get 20 years ago, which was not so far gone for some of us.
    From what I have read performance and finish are about the same on all of them and to spend more generally gets you a better finish on the bows.
    In reading threads, here and others, it seems you might need to take a fine rat tail file and round out and smooth out the string groves on all of them. I know I did on my Martin Diablo to make the string not have such a sharp bend that it opens the serving.
    It would be nice to shoot all them before you buy one. The next best thing is looking at U Tube videos. On people shooting and comparing them.

You will have to get arrows. If you have a place to shoot targets, and finger tabs, stringer.
    On the arrows, I buy a group of six with two unfletched until you get the ones you really like. That is the way I do it. I have gone to three shops that were no help at all, they just specialize in compounds for hunting around here.

Keep us informed of your progress and decisions.
    Thanks for your post!

I considered the Ragim Black Bear for a short while, as it looked nice on their website. Plus it would be cheaper for me to get it as I live in Sweden - buying an imported Martin bow (or the Stag, for that matter) adds 100 dollars to the price, and I have to say that's a bit unfortunate..
    But when I googled the Black Bear, I wasn't able to find a single good review of it - most people had horror stories about receiving the bows all twisted up etc, and everyone agreed that it's quite a crappy bow. I don't dare to waste any money on it :P

I haven't got a chance of trying out any of these bows as they are hard enough to get hold on here in Europe (especially with the right draw weight).
    But thank goodness for Youtube vids!

The mere thought of me putting a file to a bow scares me, though. Haha. Hopefully I can get someone else to fix that for me...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptJJ View Post
    I own both bows. My opinion is that the Mamba would be a poor choice for beginner, the short riser makes for less stability and tougher to shoot accurately. I bought mine for short range hunting and it took a while to get used to it, but now I really like it. The X-200 is a little longer, higher brace height and it's much easier to shoot well, along with my Hunter; the longer bows are much more forgiving and smoother drawing and it is easier for me to be accurate with them. That's been my experience anyway.
    Thanks for your input! Great to hear the opinion of someone who owns both the bows I mentioned.
    Do you think the X200 is worth the extra $100 that covers the shipping costs? In that case, I would be able to buy it from an american webshop that still has it in 30#. (Ye Olde Archery Shoppe)

EDIT: Oh, and thank you, elkslayer4x5 - I will!
    Last edited by Emblizz; 04-07-2014 at 01:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emblizz View Post

The mere thought of me putting a file to a bow scares me, though. Haha. Hopefully I can get someone else to fix that for me...
    When you get your bow, check it at the limb notches for any rough spots, if you find any rough area and need to clean those up, we can lead you through the process, it's very easy, remember that people have been doing this for 100's of years, even though your new bow will be made of modern materials, the process is the same. My grandson got a new set of limbs for his Martin Diablo not long ago, and one limb wouldn't fit. A few stroke with a file removed the rough finish of the imported limb ( China ) and the limb fit fine. I have several links to bow build-alongs, in case you'd care to see and read on how it's done. Have no worries, we can help you through this phase as well.
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

5. Likes Emblizz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    When you get your bow, check it at the limb notches for any rough spots, if you find any rough area and need to clean those up, we can lead you through the process, it's very easy, remember that people have been doing this for 100's of years, even though your new bow will be made of modern materials, the process is the same. My grandson got a new set of limbs for his Martin Diablo not long ago, and one limb wouldn't fit. A few stroke with a file removed the rough finish of the imported limb ( China ) and the limb fit fine. I have several links to bow build-alongs, in case you'd care to see and read on how it's done. Have no worries, we can help you through this phase as well.
    Okay, that's great. I think I'll be able to do it with a bit of guidance
    And I would really like to read about it if you've got some good links!

I've been reading about recurve bow tuning and arrows now.
    From what I can understand, I should order arrows that fit to the draw weight of my bow... How accurate does that have to be?
    The rest seems quite complicated, like what kind of spine I need etc. I think I'll go for wooden arrows anyway, and I guess I can try a few different ones and go with what I like.
    But if any of you have any suggestions about what kind of arrows I could try, that would be great. I'm a bit of a newbie after all, lol I know it's a bit too early to decide on any, since I haven't actually bought/decided on a bow yet, and the kind of arrows I use should match the bow.

I find myself thinking that I perhaps should just start off with a cheap bow, like the Ragim Black Bear, and then buy something better when I've got the hang of using that... But it does tempt me more to buy one of the better alternatives. It's just the import costs that hold me back. :l

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emblizz View Post
    Okay, that's great. I think I'll be able to do it with a bit of guidance
    And I would really like to read about it if you've got some good links!

I've been reading about recurve bow tuning and arrows now.
    From what I can understand, I should order arrows that fit to the draw weight of my bow... How accurate does that have to be?
    The rest seems quite complicated, like what kind of spine I need etc. I think I'll go for wooden arrows anyway, and I guess I can try a few different ones and go with what I like.
    But if any of you have any suggestions about what kind of arrows I could try, that would be great. I'm a bit of a newbie after all, lol I know it's a bit too early to decide on any, since I haven't actually bought/decided on a bow yet, and the kind of arrows I use should match the bow.

I find myself thinking that I perhaps should just start off with a cheap bow, like the Ragim Black Bear, and then buy something better when I've got the hang of using that... But it does tempt me more to buy one of the better alternatives. It's just the import costs that hold me back. :l
    This link should give enough reading for a little bit. This is the Bowyer's Workbench at TradRag.com Lots of build alongs will take you through building a bow, of all types, with text and photos.

http://www.tradrag.com/forum/viewfor...f8c80e8e189d82

As far as arrows go, they need to be spined correctly for your bow, your draw weight and draw length, which can get quite complicated. In the search box at the top right of this forum ( Traditional Bow Forum ) type in Recurve tuning, and you'll begin to get an idea of every thing involved, but as with everything else here, we're glad to help. I prefer wood with recurves, but other like carbons, which seem to be harder to tune. Only because they are avaible in a wider range of spines. Read through the links and the search and we'll take it from the new question that will come up. Really do wish I had this resource when I began archery, my rescource was to join an archery club, which I recomend if you can.

8. Likes Emblizz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can now gladly announce that I've finally bought a bow.
    I should perhaps start a new thread, because I ended up with a 58" Ragim Black Bear, 30# @ 28". I think it will do fine for me, at least for the time being. I'm planning to upgrade when I have become better at shooting (and rich ).
    Also bought a few arrows that the shop recommended for the bow and me. And nocking points and a bow stringer of course.
    I haven't strung or set up the bow yet, as I still need to make/buy a target, lol. I'm going to the nearest sports shop to look later today as I seem to recall that they had archery targets a few weeks back.
    Anyway, the bow looks and feels like it's good quality. I don't think it needs to be filed.
    Updating in the near future!

Post Thanks / Like

don't forget a finger tab and arm armguard.
    and happy shooting with your new bow.

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, true - I delayed buying it, which I have paid for with a bruised forearm and some painful fingers. :P
    Buying both asap. And thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

You can make a target by stuffing a woven plastic bag, the type commonely used as feed bags with shrink wrap or plastic bags, it will be lightweight and weather proof. Also will not cost much, if anything.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 05-02-2014 at 09:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations, There are You Tube videos of DIY targets. Shouldn't much for penetration. Size may be another issue. ;-)