Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cougar Cable Clearance...HELP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cougar Cable Clearance...HELP

I just got my Cougar back from getting tuned at a proshop. The guy paper tuned the bow and got it as close as he could to shooting bullet holes without hitting the cables with the fletchings. The problem I am running into is that with a 30 inch draw there is VERY little room for error in form or torquing the grip. Is there anything I can do to sneak in a little more room between the fletchings and the cables. With things the way they are every shoot has to be executed perfectly or the fletchings are going to smack the cables.......HELP??????
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bought a Martin, Then my wife gave me a Rytera so.......I joined the forum.
    Then won the Elite on Archery Talk.
    I am blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    2013 Martin Onza Xt
    2012 Martin Cougar Fc
    2011 Martin Ridge Hunter turned Silencer
    2006 Martin Cougar 4se
    Fred Bear Grizzly @ 45lbs and Shakespear wonderbow @ 50lbs
    Love bows and everything bout bow hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to have more clearence than u is your rest in to far have u shot it thru paper. You shootin thru paper will be different then someone else as we all have different grips and some torque more than others.

4. Likes wscywabbit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow that's tight picture for sure. All I can say is practice practice practice.... I know not what you wanted to hear lol. I also agree with BG3YO, you should check the setting yourself but I'd do a walk back tune to check your center... it will be different for you than compared to another person or a shooting machine.

You could also try the new mini blazers, or my favorite; switch to feathers! I use the 2" Rayzr feathers by Gateway and they fly awesome! (they're also very forgiving and if they contact your riser or cables they'll flow out of the way and then bounce back after they're clear.)
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Flex-Fletch 300 FFP for this reason.
    A little longer but, lower profile & lighter weight than standard blazers.
    I'm using them with broad heads & target points.

DK

Post Thanks / Like

Well I went out first thing this morning and walked back tuned. You guys were right about each person being different with the tune. The guy at the shop must have a completely different grip than me. Long story short I had to
    Bring the rest an 1/8th of an inch to the left to tune it for me. I guess him having to over draw to get to 30 inches might have something to do with it. It's flying straight and hitting 2 inch targets out to 30 yards. Live and learn I guess! Thanks fellas!
    Last edited by hawkdriver55; 04-02-2014 at 08:35 AM.
    Bought a Martin, Then my wife gave me a Rytera so.......I joined the forum.
    Then won the Elite on Archery Talk.
    I am blessed.

8. Likes naptime liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdriver55 View Post
    Well I went out first thing this morning and walked back tuned. You guys were right about each person being different with the tune. The guy at the shop must have a completely different grip than me. Long story short I had to
    Bring the rest an 1/8th of an inch to the left to tune it for me. I guess him having to over draw to get to 30 inches might have something to do with it. It's flying straight and hitting 2 inch targets out to 30 yards. Live and learn I guess! Thanks fellas!
    before i knew how to work on my bow myself, i took mine into the shop to have it tuned.
    the tech told me "NO, I can NOT tune your bow."

i was like.. whaaaaat.

he laughed, and then explained, your eyes are different than mine. your arms are different. your hands are different. only YOU can tune your bow.

he then said he'd spend a few hours with me, teaching me what to do, what to change.
    took us about an hour and half, and i was shooting 2" groups at 20 yards. (went in shooting 6" groups at 15 yards!)

best 20 bucks I've spent on this bow. he took the time to teach me what to change, why to change it, when to change it. etc..

i always get confused when i see guys sending bows off to get tuned. when the person doing the tuning, isn't the end shooter.
    2004 Martin Jaguazor 60# 27" Twisted Archer strings. Trophy Ridge Revolution rest. Trophy Ridge Pursuit sight.
    2004 Bowtech Pro40 Wheely. 60# 27" VaporTrail strings. Trophy Taker fall away rest. HHA Optimizer lite sight.
    http://www.ToledoTees.com

Post Thanks / Like

Many times less experienced shooters say their bow was TUNED by a shop when what they really mean is that the shop set the bow up, meaning basic installation and adjustments to rest, sights, etc. They don't know enough so they use the wrong terminology. This may not be one of those circumstances, but these guys are right. To go through a tuning process you have to do the shooting. A shop person that knows how to tune can do the adjusting and/or teach you how to, just like naptime mentioned. This is the kind of shop we all could wish for.

And just FYI, the term Pro-shop is used too much, too. There are very few shops that have a true professional archer working in them. There may be some co-op shooters who help at the shop or even some field staff guys, but unless they make their money by shooting they are not true pros. Therefore what many think is a pro is often just a person with more experience than the customer. That's why many of us tell people to learn how to repair and tune their equipment. Then you end up being your own PRO.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

11. Likes TEN RING, elkslayer4x5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What Barry posted is so true. Often the supposed "pro" knows barely enough to install the rest, sight, peep, loop or whatever he/she is doing. That is one of the best things about this Martin Tech board, here folks who have been setting up and tinkering with compound bows for years will help the novice learn how to do all of this work on his/her own bow. And all of those foklks do so happily.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    What Barry posted is so true. Often the supposed "pro" knows barely enough to install the rest, sight, peep, loop or whatever he/she is doing. That is one of the best things about this Martin Tech board, here folks who have been setting up and tinkering with compound bows for years will help the novice learn how to do all of this work on his/her own bow. And all of those foklks do so happily.
    In my case it's been 4 decades and I still don't consider myself a PRO. Just a basement tinkerer although most of my work gets done right from the tailgate of my pickup.

Put it this way. About 15 years ago I was at a 3D shoot and with a group of guys I never shot with before--mostly just your average bowhunter. One guy needed to adjust something and asked if I had a set of Allen wrenches. My reply was "Do I shoot a compound bow?". Actually I have four sets. One in the house, one in my quiver, and two in my trusty ole do-dad box which goes everywhere with me.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver