Thread: New to archery - Panther TD

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to archery - Panther TD

I'm pretty new to archery, as a matter of fact I just ordered my martin panther 2014 last Thursday. Should be in soon, anyways, once I get the bow i realized I don't know what to do as far as stringing it up and what not, nor what arrows will work best for me. Any info, tips, or ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the sport and the site gold tip traditional arrows r nice or u could go with an aluminum arrow like easton gamegetters
    2013 Martin Onza Xt
    2012 Martin Cougar Fc
    2011 Martin Ridge Hunter turned Silencer
    2006 Martin Cougar 4se
    Fred Bear Grizzly @ 45lbs and Shakespear wonderbow @ 50lbs
    Love bows and everything bout bow hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate it. Will definitely look into them. Any information on my specific bow? Is it a good starting bow?

Post Thanks / Like

never shot one but should be a great recurve

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Martin Diablo TD. I think it is the same bow. I have written a good bit on it here. Check it out. Just got my fourth set of Arrows. I hope they work better than all previous. My bow is rigged for fishing now and doing well with that. I will take it down after the spawn and go back to targets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwilson View Post
    I'm pretty new to archery, as a matter of fact I just ordered my martin panther 2014 last Thursday. Should be in soon, anyways, once I get the bow i realized I don't know what to do as far as stringing it up and what not, nor what arrows will work best for me. Any info, tips, or ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks
    Welcome to the site!
    Your Panther appears to be last years Diablo, as they look the same. I looked throught the 2014 catalog, and couldn't find if the bow comes with any accessories, but last year catalog stated that "The Saber, Jaguar, and Diablo include a rest and stringer. Hopefully youp new will come with a srtinger, if not you can order one from Martin. It is the easiest and safest method for the beginning acher to string a bow. Once you've got the bow strung, check to see if the string is in the string groves on the limbs, thoses groves running down the length of the limbs. Just recently we order a new set of limbs for my grandson's Diablo, and one limb didn't quite fit, because of a rough spot on the butt end of the limb, a few strokes with a file fixed that problem. Next make sure that the limbs are straight, the string should be in the groves and centered on the limbs. That is why we had to order new limbs, we had a twisted limb. I'm not trying to scrae you, just telling you what to watch for, because you are new to archery. The limbs are imported from China and some have been defective, if so, Martin will replace them.
    Arrows: Basically there are three kinds of arrows, Carbon, Aluminum, and Wood. Add to that, there are two types of fletchings, plastic Vanes, and Feathers. You will need to know what your draw length is, that is how far back do you pull the arrow. I'm guessing that you know how to gain a consistant anchor point. If not, let us know and we can explain that for you. Once you know what your draw length is, and what your draw weight is, you can select arrows. Where ever you order your bow from most likely will have arrows, and will be able to assist you in getting the correct spined arrow for you and your bow. As a beginning archer, feather fletching will shoot better for you than vanes will, because feather capture more air than vanes do, and therefore correct faster than vanes.
    You will also need an arm guard, and either a glove or a tab, both most likely avaible where you bought the bow, I prefer a tab, but its a personal choice. You will also need a target, lots of types avaible, you can make one by going to a feed store and asking for a plastic feed bag and stuffing it with shrink wrap from any big store. Once you've selected all the gear that you'll need, you're ready to begin. Let us know how it all goes.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 04-13-2014 at 10:37 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Do yourself a VERY big favor and get a copy of "Shooting the Stickbow" by Anthoney Camera. Amazon has it for $17.96 + shipping. The great reviews it has gotten should convince you.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use an arm guard. I actually had the serving wear from hitting it. I started shooting with the my arm out of the way and don't use it anymore.