Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: martin 2 piece quivers?

geronimo

Default martin 2 piece quivers?

What is considered the best of the Martin 2 piece quivers? The 8 arrow, the wildman 4 arrow or the Fast 4?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
    What is considered the best of the Martin 2 piece quivers? The 8 arrow, the wildman 4 arrow or the Fast 4?
    I'm looking at them now. Wildman 2x4 (3911R) would be my first choice. Wildman 5 arrow (3907R) would come second.

I would never even consider an 8 arrow quiver. Please forgive me, but this is my opinion. That's is too many arrows to carry around and shoot with. It just throws too much weight on that side of the bow. Besides, if I'd ever need that many shots I seriously need to take a second look at my shooting abilities.

I rarely carry more than three arrows at any one time. Your personal needs may be different.

flytier17

2X4 is a great quiver. I have one. But it is quite heavy. that muck weight on the side of my bow makes it harder for me to level up properly, and gives me a toug=ch too much of a tendancy to torque the bow. I use a Kwikee, and love it.

I completely agree with bfisher. Unless you are going on a trip into the bush for a couple of days, and expec the opportunity too shoot multiple animals, 3 is all you need. I say 3 cause a buddy of mine put 2 through the lungs of 1 deer, and the thing still managed to run 400 yds! When he caught up to it, he needed the 3rd arrow to put it down.

I also carry a shocker head in my pocket in case I see small game that is in season. When I had the 4 arrow quiver, I kept the shocker on the 4th arrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Alec,

The reason I say three arrows is that being just hunting local I do the normal morning and evening thing. I figure if I need more than three shots on any given session I need to be walking back to the truck kicking myself in the a$$ all the way back.

That being said, I did a trip from Pa. to Illinois a few years ago for a week of monster hunting. NO, no monsters came home with me. I did, however, only take three arrows set up for hunting with broadheads on each, and a pack of extra blades. Believe me, I know my luck and pack accordingly. In this case I could have packed my digital camera--a point&shoot.

Darrenhood

My grandfather used to say, "Better to say nothing and have 'em think you're stupid, than to open your mouth & prove it."

So, to prove it.....I like the 8 arrow 2 piece. Always used them before I got my Mathews & was limited to 5. I'll carry 2 or 3 arrows with blunts or judos, 4 or 5 with broadheads & room to leave one out if the arrow rest or sight are bumping into a shaft.

I suppose sitting on stand all day a guy could do all he needs with one arrow. I like to stalk around, shoot stumps & small game to keep the shooting muscles stretched out & not run out of arrows.

The Martin 2 piece are the best kind. Keep the arrows on the lighter side & slide the hood & gripper in as close to the riser as you can get them. Ballances a lot better than realy heavy arrows hanging further out to the side.
    Last edited by Darrenhood; 03-06-2008 at 01:30 PM.

dbd870

I'm with flytier17. I use the 4 arrow Kwikee for easy on and off (I hate to shoot with a quiver attached); but I usually only move once in a day (out for lunch then back in) and I'll take the quiver off and tie it to the tree with my pull rope once I'm up. I rarely ground hunt during archery season. 3 is the most I've ever used in a morning or evening. Missed on one {bought a range finder for this season } then put 2 in another a little latter on.

geronimo

Darrenhood, I agree with you and which one of the 3 Martin 2 piece quivers fits closest to the riser for the lowest profile?

Post Thanks / Like

Now you've opened up another can of worms for me to nit pick about. And please don't think I'm trying to sound "holier than thou". Just stating an opinion.

If you do your hunting from a treestand why would you need a range finder? There are several reasons I ask this as I've had one in the past. For one thing most all shots are 30 yards or less. There are some exceptions. But with the speed of today's bows there isn't that much drop in trajectory within that 30 yards.

I've done the testing a few years ago and for giggles I sighted in a single pin for 25 yards. I then started at 5 yards and in 5 and increments shot the bow (264 fps). 5 yards was essentially the same as 25. At 10 yards about 1" high. 15 was a little higher. 20 yards was about 2" high. Dead on at 25, of course. 30 yards was about 3" low and 32 yards got to 4" low.

So I deduced that considering the average deer vitals tgo be about 8" high I could hold that single pin in the middle of the vital and shoot anything within 30 yards. No muss. No fuss. No guessing yardage except to determine whether the deer was within 30 yards.

I then stuck on a another pin and sighted it in for 30 yards for that maybe once in a blue moon shot beyond 30 yards. In 35 years oof bowhunting I've had maybe two killing shots more than 27 yards. One was 37 yards.

By the way, I have an uncanny ability to guess yardage or let's say much better thn average. I guess shooting a lot of 3D helps. Also, I sold the range finder as it was just one more gadget in my bag.

So please reply and try to interpret my comments with a little humor. I have a tendency to be taken the wrong way at times.

Barry

geronimo

bfisher, What's your recommendation for a 2 piece quiver from Martin?

flytier17

I like to be able too shoot as far as I can. Killed a coyote @ 75 once.