Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP Cougar FC limb pocket eating limb

Post Thanks / Like

Default HELP Cougar FC limb pocket eating limb

OK tech heros. I have a love hate relationship with this cougar fc with 2.0 cams. I was shooting it today and started hearing the "creaking" sound near the end of the draw cycle. I gave the bow a look over and found what you see in the picture. The bottom limb pocket is eating into the side of the limb. I pressed the bow and took off the limb and greased the pocket where the limb lays in it. I also made sure the pocket wasn't twisted in the riser or anything. I put it all back together and go out and sling some arrows. The first 2 were quiet. The third ......the creaking came back right at the end of the draw cycle. It wasn't as loud but it was still there. I checked the clearance on the limb and the side of the pocket and the pocket was contacting the limb again.

SO NOW WHAT?????? please help a fellow Martin shooter out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bought a Martin, Then my wife gave me a Rytera so.......I joined the forum.
    Then won the Elite on Archery Talk.
    I am blessed.

Post Thanks / Like

file or sand the edge of the pocket
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't just the edge that is rubbing the limb. It is the entire pocket wall. When I took the limb out I could see where the pocket wall was wearing into the limb. (Thinking about moving the pockets...top to bottom etc.)
    I am blessed.

Post Thanks / Like

are you thinking the pocket isn't square as it sits on the riser???
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

That's is what I thought. But when I took it out and looked I didn't see anything that would keep it out of square. I have had this bow since last year and have not had a problem with the limbs. Thousands of shots out of it and it just now started doing this today. (enough for me to notice it that is)
    I am blessed.

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious but how tight is the fit in the limb pocket ive had a few that were pretty tight and also did u grease under the roto cup and the top where the limb sits. I had the same noise I believe right at the end of the draw took apart and lubed verry well no noise now. In your pic it looks like the cup is just rubbing the finish of cause its to tight most of my bows have some finish wear right in that area . Hope ya figure it out
    2013 Martin Onza Xt
    2012 Martin Cougar Fc
    2011 Martin Ridge Hunter turned Silencer
    2006 Martin Cougar 4se
    Fred Bear Grizzly @ 45lbs and Shakespear wonderbow @ 50lbs
    Love bows and everything bout bow hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GB3YO View Post
    Just curious but how tight is the fit in the limb pocket ive had a few that were pretty tight and also did u grease under the roto cup and the top where the limb sits. I had the same noise I believe right at the end of the draw took apart and lubed verry well no noise now. In your pic it looks like the cup is just rubbing the finish of cause its to tight most of my bows have some finish wear right in that area . Hope ya figure it out
    Yes I greased the pocket and it still creaked. This morning I took the bow apart. Move the bottom pocket to the top and the top to the bottom. Went extreme and put some anti cease on the inside and walls of the pocket. Put it all back together and shot it. First 4 shots were quite. Shot number 5 sounded like an old door in a barn being opened. It was louder than ever before. Calling Martin today.
    I am blessed.

Post Thanks / Like

Call Martin, but a fine member of this forum let me in on a secret lube that silences most everything....diaelectric. not saying it will work on your problem, but the properties of this stuff are amazing.
    ARCHERSHACK STAFF
    Brownell Fury, BCY Trophy, & BCY X Strings
    PALMETTO STATE STABILIZERS (by Archeryshack-COMING SOON)
    www.archeryshackstrings.com
    2013 Nemesis 35 (Black Carbon)
    2008 Slayer (Brushed Platinum)
    2007 Slayer (Gloss Black)

Post Thanks / Like

Had the same issue on some of the pockets a while back. Well.. I just started to ignore it and everything was fine. On another set i sanded out the entire inside of the pocket. Worked well, did bot look well.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Took the bow a part. (again) Took a fine file to the edges of the cups where they were contacting the limbs. Then packed the cups with grease. Then packed the riser where the cups set with grease. During this John Nelson from Martin called me and told me to try exactly what I was doing. He said if that didn't work check the cams. If that didn't solve if to call him and ship it to him and he would give it a look over. (returned my call only 2 hours after I called him! Good service!) Put everything back together and took it outside and put a half a dozen arrows through it. Worked perfect. NO NOISE!

Thanks for the help fellas!
    I am blessed.