Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Cams for 2015?

Post Thanks / Like

Dual yokes for the Nitro cams, agree. Cable stops instead of limb stops...

Edit; Yes, offset to offset guide rods....
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 04-23-2014 at 07:31 AM.
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

No need to re-invent the wheel..or Cam. Just make Nitrous cams avaible again.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Remake the nitrous then so I can experience them for myself. I believe the veteran Martin shooters know what their talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

New shoot thruh cams would be nice

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had a problem with the nitro cams,when they go to yokes I'm done with martin.the nitro's are the most tunable cams on the market.

Post Thanks / Like

I would prefer a "beefier" cam. If they stick with Nitro cams, I'd love to see them machined like CATs.
    ARCHERSHACK STAFF
    Brownell Fury, BCY Trophy, & BCY X Strings
    PALMETTO STATE STABILIZERS (by Archeryshack-COMING SOON)
    www.archeryshackstrings.com
    2013 Nemesis 35 (Black Carbon)
    2008 Slayer (Brushed Platinum)
    2007 Slayer (Gloss Black)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-the-snake View Post
    Just hoping for a yoke system like the old nitrous cams...
    Yep my Nitrous C are pretty smoth and fast. I do Ike the yoke system, hope they can get something around a 33-34" ATA.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2014 Mathews Creed
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by novich69 View Post
    I like the Nitro cams,just wish the had a split yoke system for tunability. If ur listening Martin,how about a bent cable guide rod to help with cam lean?
    Novich, making your own bent cable guard rod isn't hard to do. If you have a bench vice and hacksaw (the 2 primary tools needed) you can make them using 3/8" aluminum rod from home improvement stores. These are typically sold in 3-ft lengths so you get plenty to work with. A few other tools such as metal file for deburring, a steel pipe to use as a lever for bending the rod and a larger/heavier hammer to "tap" the rod to make slight adjustments in the amount it's bent while being clamped in the vice will also make the task easier. I also recommend using something like terry cloth to protect the rod from the vice jaws making imprints into the rod.

I basically measure the overall length of the OEM rod (including the amount that goes into the riser hole) then giving a little more length to that figure I cut the aluminum rod to start the process. After deburring the end that goes into the riser I fully insert the new rod into the riser, then figure where the bend needs to be made so the slide runs along the straight section after the bend (towards the string). Clamp the rod in the vice so the area where the bend needs to be is positioned just to the outside edge of the vice jaws then slide the pipe over the exposed rod and pull or push the pipe to bend the rod the desired amount. Take the bent rod out of the vice and mount it in the riser to see if it's bent like you need. You may have to repeat the process, tapping the rod or using the pipe to adjust the bend angle before you get what you need. You might also need to start with another section of straight rod and make a new bent rod, using lessons learned from the first/previous one(s) that didn't quite turn out right. My current rod didn't require all that much of a bend to achieve a nearly straight line between cams (for the cables) while still allowing enough clearance for the vanes to pass by as the slide moved to the brace position. You may also need to experiment with different slides, depending on how your slide keeps the cables apart so they don't rub each other.

The photo below is my latest rod for use with the Nitro 3 cams my Firecat now has that is working quite nicely. You'll also notice the string suppressor rods and offset string stops, used by Bear on Anarchy and others. I used the same tools to make these rods as well, although the mount for my upper string stop involved a few more tools to fabricate. Hope that helps you and anyone else thinking about doing this.

Rebuilt Firecat back side showing bent cable rod & Bear string stops.jpg
    08/13 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67.5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyhud View Post
    Novich, making your own bent cable guard rod isn't hard to do. If you have a bench vice and hacksaw (the 2 primary tools needed) you can make them using 3/8" aluminum rod from home improvement stores. These are typically sold in 3-ft lengths so you get plenty to work with. A few other tools such as metal file for deburring, a steel pipe to use as a lever for bending the rod and a larger/heavier hammer to "tap" the rod to make slight adjustments in the amount it's bent while being clamped in the vice will also make the task easier. I also recommend using something like terry cloth to protect the rod from the vice jaws making imprints into the rod.

I basically measure the overall length of the OEM rod (including the amount that goes into the riser hole) then giving a little more length to that figure I cut the aluminum rod to start the process. After deburring the end that goes into the riser I fully insert the new rod into the riser, then figure where the bend needs to be made so the slide runs along the straight section after the bend (towards the string). Clamp the rod in the vice so the area where the bend needs to be is positioned just to the outside edge of the vice jaws then slide the pipe over the exposed rod and pull or push the pipe to bend the rod the desired amount. Take the bent rod out of the vice and mount it in the riser to see if it's bent like you need. You may have to repeat the process, tapping the rod or using the pipe to adjust the bend angle before you get what you need. You might also need to start with another section of straight rod and make a new bent rod, using lessons learned from the first/previous one(s) that didn't quite turn out right. My current rod didn't require all that much of a bend to achieve a nearly straight line between cams (for the cables) while still allowing enough clearance for the vanes to pass by as the slide moved to the brace position. You may also need to experiment with different slides, depending on how your slide keeps the cables apart so they don't rub each other.

The photo below is my latest rod for use with the Nitro 3 cams my Firecat now has that is working quite nicely. You'll also notice the string suppressor rods and offset string stops, used by Bear on Anarchy and others. I used the same tools to make these rods as well, although the mount for my upper string stop involved a few more tools to fabricate. Hope that helps you and anyone else thinking about doing this.

Rebuilt Firecat back side showing bent cable rod & Bear string stops.jpg
    Very good idea I will try that.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by don b View Post
    x2 ^. Along with a 46-48" ata shadowcat or septer v.
    Don.
    x2 !!!
    Durandal
    Scepter V
    53.4 # 29.5 DL
    Victory HV Arrows
    Finger Shooter "Instinctive"