Thread: Fender skirts and supper

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fender skirts and supper

FENDER SKIRTS AND SUPPER
    I know some of you will not understand this message, but I bet you know someone who might. I came across this phrase yesterday.

'FENDER SKIRTS'

A term I haven't heard in a long time, and thinking about
    'fender skirts' started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice like 'curb feelers'

And 'steering knobs.' (AKA) 'suicide knob,' 'neckers knobs.'

Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first.

Any kids will probably have to find some older
    person over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.

Remember 'Continental kits?'
    They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers
    that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.

When did we quit calling them 'emergency
    brakes?
    At some point 'parking brake' became the proper term.

But I miss the hint of drama that went with 'emergency brake.'

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the 'foot feed.' Many today do not even know what a clutch is or that the dimmer switch used to be on the floor. For that matter, the starter was down there too.

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you could ride the 'running board' up to the house?

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore - 'store-bought.' Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days. But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy.

'Coast to coast' is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing. Now we take the term 'worldwide' for granted. This floors me.

On a smaller scale, 'wall-to-wall' was once a
    magical term in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting! Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall
    carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure.

When was the last time you heard the quaint phrase 'in a family way?' It's hard to imagine that the word 'pregnant' was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company, so we had all that talk about stork visits and 'being in a family way' or simply 'expecting.'

Apparently 'brassiere' is a word no longer in usage. I said it the other day and my daughter cracked up. I guess it's just 'bra' now. 'Unmentionables' probably wouldn't be understood at all.

I always loved going to the 'picture show,' but I considered 'movie' an affectation.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure '60s word I came across the other day 'rat fink.' Ooh, what a nasty put-down!

Here's a word I miss - 'percolator.' That was just a
    fun word to say. And what was it replaced with 'Coffee
    maker.' How dull... Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this.

I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro. Words like 'Dyna Flow' and 'Electrolux' and 'Frigidaire'. Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with 'Spectra Vision!'

Food for thought. Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains of that anymore. Maybe that's what Castor oil cured, because I never hear mothers threatening kids with Castor Oil anymore.

Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The one that grieves me most is 'supper.' Now everybody says 'dinner.' Save a great word. Invite someone to supper. Discuss fender skirts.
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

2. Thanks CLT Bluesman thanked for this post
    Likes CLT Bluesman, typically8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure TEN RING, make a guy feel old, knew what every one of those words were. To go with the Fender Skirts, there were Poodle skirts and petal pushers. Funny that you should mention percolators, as there was a photo of one and all it's parts on facebook a while back requesting a like and a share if you remembered them. Bye the way, it was my turn to cook supper last night.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 04-19-2014 at 10:35 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

4. Likes TEN RING liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I to this day miss the high beam/dimmer button by your left foot up high. How convenient that was. I wish they would bring it back. Remember when manual transmission was called "straight drive"?. How about "three on the tree". I learned how to drive on that. My Dad has a 1968 Impala Station Wagon, with a 396, 3.72 positraction rear end, with "three on the tree". He bought in new in 1968 and it is still in his garage. He would street race on the way to church with all 6 of his kids, my mother and grandmother in the car. I remember my Grandmother giving him the business in Spanish (all she knew), and my Mother telling him to stop, and me all the way in the back enjoying the ride. That car used to eat 351 Mustangs up in second gear.

Shoot, remember "pagers"? Everyone had a pager, and that was not that long ago.

"Tape machine" is going away, replaced by the DVR.

Remember "Jiffy" popcorn, the kind you shook on the stove while it was making?

Southerners have some words and phrases that are going away too. "tote the note" is one the comes to mind.

Oh, well the language evolves. LOL, and all the other new mini sentences we use now. The language is becoming more efficient and short. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

I just can't remember exactly where the starter button usually was. I think that was on the right side as I recall. Maybe more on the floorboard, not up high like the dimmer switch was. Someone remind me. I was a little kid when they were around.
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

6. Likes TEN RING liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The floor mounted starter on my 1958 Chevy PU was high on the right of the accelerator. The truck I learned to drive in was a 41 Ford, ignition switch was a key locked toggle on the steering column, starter button was on the dashboard, left of the steering wheel. Truck had a Flathead V8, and a 4 speed tranmission, 1st was called Granny, had to double clutch to shift, or the gears would grind. Had fender mounted headlights, and a "bull nosed " hood release.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 04-22-2014 at 09:55 AM.
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    The floor mounted starter on my 1958 Chevy was high on the right of the accelerator. The truck I learned to drive in was a 41 Ford, ignition switch was a key locked toggle on the steering column, started button was on the dashboard, left of the steering wheel. Truck had a Flathead V8, and a 4 speed tranmission, 1st was called Granny, had to double clutch to shift, or the gears would grind. Had fender mounted headlights, and a "bull nosed " hood release.
    Now you've just really shown your age. LOL
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

That '52 Chevy Deluxe that I mentioned in your "First Car" thread also had a starter button on the dash. I show my age with every post, its right there in my username! 69 this year!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    That '52 Chevy Deluxe that I mentioned in your "First Car" thread also had a starter button on the dash. I show my age with every post, its right there in my username! 69 this year!
    LOL Some new cars have the start button on the dash too....except you don't need a key.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

My tractor still has the hand crank option. lol 1949 Allis. Dead battery, grab the crank and start heaving. Then hope it doesn't break your arms when it comes around on you. lol
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    My tractor still has the hand crank option. lol 1949 Allis. Dead battery, grab the crank and start heaving. Then hope it doesn't break your arms when it comes around on you. lol
    Granddad's little gasoline powered Catapiller only had a crank start, no electric start, really had to watch out for the compression kick! He had the little Cat because with the tracks, he could get down to the beach, across about 50 acres of sand dunes, and haul redwood logs and lumber that had washed up during storms. Property was just north of the Garcia River, north of the Point Arena lighthouse, now a Historical Monument. Steering on the Cat was with two levers, each with a brake handle. Loved driving it. Hated starting it, as you said, it could break your arm!
    Since you mentioned 1949, it reminded me that in '49, the SS Pacific Enterprise ran agound off the Point Arena Light, and broke up in a winter storm. Not that I remember that happining, as I was 4 at the time, but I do remember parts of the hull on the beach, and the cargo that washed up, hunderds of sacks of flour, all with about a 2" crust around the otherwise perfectly fine flour, Granddad had a large stack of those bags in one of the barns, after giving tons of it away to anyone who wanted it. Stuff lasted for years afterwards. Being really old school, Grandma made dish towels out of the bags, as well as other items, remember those towels as well as I got to use 'em to dry dishes, Thanks Grandma! Hows that for showing my age?
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 04-22-2014 at 10:22 AM.