Thread: Nice Surprise

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nice Surprise

Got a call from my son the other day. Asked if I wanted to go trout fishing with him. First time he's asked in many many years. I hadn't trout fished in about 20 years I had to dig out (find) some of my gear; fly rod, flies, hooks, splitshot, neoprene waders, vest, etc. Well, my line was dry rotted so it was off to Bass Pro to get new. Heck may as well, get new felt bottom wading boots while I'm at it. Dropped $125.

We headed for some of my old haunts. Suited up and had to dig the mice nest from the foot of my waders. Got to the stream, stepped in, and got a wet foot. UUUUgh, I hate that. Seems the mice chewed a small hole in the foot. Darn. Fished for about an hour and nothing happening. Headed for another stream closer to home and in 10 minutes we had 3 Brookies. They're pretty little boogers.

Had a really good time with father and son stuff. I truly enjoyed myself and my son's company and am looking forward to more. However, it was back to Bass Pro to replace those waders. With the wife in tow as a fashion expert I tried on chest waders. In the past I had always bought cheap ones. It's time to part with some money and get good stuff. I'm 67 and it's time to treat myself to something that will probably last longer than me. Ended up getting a decent set of chest waders and a new vest that set me back $175. Not the best, but good enough.

So now it's the next morning, 5:30, and I'm ready to go again. Now I have to learn how to fly fish all over again. I think I'm going to have fun.

Thanks for listening.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

2. Likes Arrow Splitter, TEN RING, wscywabbit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great day.! Trout fishing is my second favorite sport and my son loves it too.
    My brother was killed trimming trees in his yard about a month ago. He and my sister in-law fished all the time so last Monday I took her up to one of their favorite places and we spent the day catching Rainbows.
    It was a very good time and a very tasty supper.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great way to spend the day to me! I need to get a new fly pole, mine broke about 5 years ago and I haven't really had the time to fish so it hasn't been replaced yet... may have to fix that. I really enjoy fly fishing small creeks and rivers...
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on a great time Barry! Nothing like a father/son time.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Spiker, sorry to hear about your brother. I hope you and your sister-in-law can find some solace, peace, and healing soon. I know that fishing is just one of those sports where you can enjoy the moment and let tensions and bad memories float away. Hope you guys find it this way to.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver