Thread: setting up arrow rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Default setting up arrow rest.

My 2011 shadowcat has a springy rest which I use for barebow fingers. My question is , to get it tuned to my satisfaction with walk back etc, it is so far right of center as to look ridiculous. It shoots terrific at this position with 340 N fused carbons with a 31'' draw. I just finished our Nationals where I made second place in B grade. Has any one here got a shadowcat that they use fingers with? I have gone back to the simple springy rest as all the others , like the magnetic arm type e, or the blade type. All seem to get a problem usually at the exact wrong time. i would like to hear other owners set ups using fingers with a cat.
    2011 shadowcat
    2006 Razor x
    2001Cougar elte

Post Thanks / Like

Bob, what's the draw weight of the bow? Have you tried stiffer arrows? How about a stiffer or less stiff spring on the rest? Been a very long time since I shot a Springy----like back in 1975. Never could get the thing right. Always bent the spring.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Barry never have any problem with the spring to date as far as movement, actually found the magnetic arm type moved far more than the springy. The draw weight is maxed out at 61# and I draw 31'' using N fused carbons at 9.5 gpi and with 125 g target points up front.It shoots great the way its set up but the arrow would be at least 1 dia inside center[ to the right of center]I know it shouldn't be any good at all as it is. One problem i found at a recent Nationals had nothing to do with set up but operator error. I use glasses and 'sort of' gap shoot, and with dark targets and a lot of shadows on the course kept shooting left, nearly all targets. It ended up costing me big time. We shoot unmarked distances and almost all my shots had the height right on the money but nearly always left.When I got home I went out to my butt and shot bullet holes. My butt is in bright sunshine and what was happening was because I couldn't see the arrow point properly at the comp. I was actually using the closer eye to aim, the left eye. what a dumbo!
    2011 shadowcat
    2006 Razor x
    2001Cougar elte

Post Thanks / Like

That left eye crap will get you every time. Sucks, don't it? Well, at least you now know what was causing all the problem. Carry on.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

yep it cost me enough points to drop from probably taking first place to running 4th. Going to try some more bare shaft tests to see how my spine weight is, though I have done it earlier. just can't feel satisfied with the arrow that far right of center.
    2011 shadowcat
    2006 Razor x
    2001Cougar elte

Post Thanks / Like

according to bare shafts my spine is too stiff so will go to 100 g points in place of the 125 I'm using and try them, bow is still shooting beautifully with the wacko set up as is. That left eye stuff is for real, I turn my head at an angle to the target looking through glasses and left eye is obviously closer to the front. Its such a small thing that it is very hard to pick up depending on light conditions, but cost me big time. Sometimes I have to consciously check I'm lined up with the arrow the 'right' way must mention of course I shoot with both eyes open. Guess I forgot to do that what with being under pressure at such a big event.I could close the left eye, end of that problem but it plays hell with my depth perception and we shoot unmarked distances.
    2011 shadowcat
    2006 Razor x
    2001Cougar elte