Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: String advice for OLD M44 Firecat

Post Thanks / Like

Default String advice for OLD M44 Firecat

I'll try to make this short. I have a 1988-89ish Firecat. It's a M-44EGC, the same as pictured here

I have shot this thing off and on since I bought it new. I had to put it away sometime around 1999-2000. Before I did, I had been working on getting it tuned and it was shooting very well when I put it away. At that time, my uncle was a Martin dealer and I went with whatever recommendations he had on strings and such. So he recommended a Zebra ZS and so that is what is on it now.

Now I have resurrected this bow from storage and after re-familiarizing myself with it, it still shoots extremely well and I used it all season. But I know after being in storage that long, a new string would be smart plus, before I put it away, I shot every day so the string would have been due anyway. The cables and teardrops are sound and still in good shape.

My question is about what I read these days about only use Dacron on these teardrop cables. I don't know what the circa 1998-99 Zebras were made of, but I don't think it was Dacron. Have I been dodging a bullet until now? I put thousands of shots on that string before it went into storage with no issues. I want to put a new string on this bow, but I am a bit clueless on the material to use. I really don't want to lose the performance I currently have, but I will sacrifice that for safety.

I am not really in a place to buy a new bow, so I am trying to just get this one back in shape for the time being.

Thanks for any info.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by COKEMAN View Post
    I'll try to make this short. I have a 1988-89ish Firecat. It's a M-44EGC, the same as pictured here

I have shot this thing off and on since I bought it new. I had to put it away sometime around 1999-2000. Before I did, I had been working on getting it tuned and it was shooting very well when I put it away. At that time, my uncle was a Martin dealer and I went with whatever recommendations he had on strings and such. So he recommended a Zebra ZS and so that is what is on it now.

Now I have resurrected this bow from storage and after re-familiarizing myself with it, it still shoots extremely well and I used it all season. But I know after being in storage that long, a new string would be smart plus, before I put it away, I shot every day so the string would have been due anyway. The cables and teardrops are sound and still in good shape.

My question is about what I read these days about only use Dacron on these teardrop cables. I don't know what the circa 1998-99 Zebras were made of, but I don't think it was Dacron. Have I been dodging a bullet until now? I put thousands of shots on that string before it went into storage with no issues. I want to put a new string on this bow, but I am a bit clueless on the material to use. I really don't want to lose the performance I currently have, but I will sacrifice that for safety.

I am not really in a place to buy a new bow, so I am trying to just get this one back in shape for the time being.

Thanks for any info.
    Welcome the the forum! on that bow you can use BCY b55 or 8190 these are of a stretchy nature which will allow the limbs to flex after a shot.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. Are the limbs an issue on this bow when choosing string material? This is not one of the laminated wood firecats, it is one of the first ones where they started getting away from that and using the composite limbs. I was always under the impression that these limbs were not susceptible to the same issues the wood laminates were. Or do you mean that by allowing the limbs to flex after a shot it will take the strain off the teardrops?

Post Thanks / Like

The cables are steel and when the bow is shot the cables would stop the limbs dead if the string did not stretch. Thus causing the limb tips to shatter. Now a days we have reinforced limb tips. So you would be better with a stretchy string material

Hutch

5. Thanks wscywabbit thanked for this post
    Likes wscywabbit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

See, now that's one of the reasons I love this forum; there is so much to learn and we all help to that endeavor. Thanks Hutch

And welcome to the forum Cokeman!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

I assume the 8190 is the better performer of the 2 you recommended?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by COKEMAN View Post
    Ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

I assume the 8190 is the better performer of the 2 you recommended?
    yes!

Post Thanks / Like

What about strand count? I see string makers offering B55 strings at 16 strands for up to 65lbs and 18 strands for higher. I am not sure how many are in that old Zebra string, but I think it it at least 18 and probably 22. I see that the 8190 says to use 24 strands, but that seems like a bit much. Never shot it though so I really don't know.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok guys. I bombarded Hutch with all kinds of questions and he answered them and got me on track. That's how you earn customers in my book.

Had him build a string and it arrived today and looks good. Can't wait to get it installed and see how it shoots.

11. Likes Arrow Splitter, TEN RING liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You won't be disappointed!!
    2013 Martin Onza XT
    NAP Apache Rest
    Trophy Ridge 3pin Cypher Sight
    NAP Apache Stabilizer
    Kwikee Kwik 3 Kwiver

2010 Martin Bone Hunter
    QAD Ultra rest LD
    AXT Pro 30 3 pin sight
    Bow String Depot Custom String Set