Thread: Dead End Stops

Post Thanks / Like

Default String Suppressor by Cams

Members I was wondering if these were able to be on our Martin bows. Such as the ones used on Mathews Bow. If anyone has tried this please let me know, also did it work and pros and cons.
    Last edited by bricka; 04-28-2014 at 11:23 PM.
    2011 Martin Silencer 70# 29.5
    QAD Ultra Rest, G5 Optix Sight, G5 Meta Peep
    BowJax Stab, BowJax Limb Saver, SlimJax , BowJax Guide Rod Damper
    USMC
    "Be Polite, Be Professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen James Mattis USMC

Post Thanks / Like

I have one on my cougar works great a little hard to get it where u want it but once u get it set it works great I have the mathews dead end string stop I dont think the ones by the cams could be put on a martin
    Last edited by GB3YO; 04-29-2014 at 08:00 AM.
    2013 Martin Onza Xt
    2012 Martin Cougar Fc
    2011 Martin Ridge Hunter turned Silencer
    2006 Martin Cougar 4se
    Fred Bear Grizzly @ 45lbs and Shakespear wonderbow @ 50lbs
    Love bows and everything bout bow hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply I kinda screwed up the initial title but I was curious about the one by the cams. I am not really sure if there is any benefit to it but I know there are some crafty members on here.
    2011 Martin Silencer 70# 29.5
    QAD Ultra Rest, G5 Optix Sight, G5 Meta Peep
    BowJax Stab, BowJax Limb Saver, SlimJax , BowJax Guide Rod Damper
    USMC
    "Be Polite, Be Professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen James Mattis USMC

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've seen, it looks like the limb is drilled for the limb mounted stops. Personally, I wouldn't risk trashing a limb to try it. I have wondered about using a bent rod and having an insert set into the riser above the arrow, in the sight window area, to serve as a second string stop. Kind of like Bear's design on some of their bows. Might try it with the shoot through I just got, and see if it makes any difference. I could use the old cable rod hole, and just bend the rod as needed for string contact.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

The ones on the limbs? I wouldn't even think of trying to drill or rig a string stop to your limbs.
    But maybe you're gutsy-er than me.

From what I've seen from working on bows, Mathews limbs are noticeably different than Martin's.

There's a reason there weren't any there before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    From what I've seen, it looks like the limb is drilled for the limb mounted stops. Personally, I wouldn't risk trashing a limb to try it. I have wondered about using a bent rod and having an insert set into the riser above the arrow, in the sight window area, to serve as a second string stop. Kind of like Bear's design on some of their bows. Might try it with the shoot through I just got, and see if it makes any difference. I could use the old cable rod hole, and just bend the rod as needed for string contact.
    I did just this with a 2005 Shadowcat, NitrousX cams. It does move the STS closer to the middle of the string. Mine was adjusted to hit just about where most people would attach a kisser button. I can't even remember how well it worked. All I used was a bent cable rod cut to fit with the rubber button on the end. I still have the rod, but the bow has been gone for a couple years now,
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    Interesting that this topic comes up about the same time as I'm finishing up my recently rebuilt 08 Firecat (thanks to the new Martin company). I've had dual string stops before but got some inspiration from hearing a new Bear Method during the shot and was impressed by how quiet it was. I decide to bend some new string stop rods and use a couple of Bear offset string stops. The pics below show what I've done. The last one show more detail of the new string stop rods and offset rubber stops as well as my latest bent cable guard rod to allow the slide to move inward to reduce riser torque. Another advantage with the offset stops is they also make room for the cables to move closer to centershot without coming into contact with the string stop rods or rubber stops. I still have yet to serve the string where the new stops make contact and wax the string (haven't since getting the bow back from Martin service). I also removed the formed rubber string dampeners that Martin installed and installed rubber cat whiskers again. I was once again impressed by how much quieter the whiskers are than the formed rubber dampeners that Martin used - it was a VERY noticeable difference. As I replaced the formed dampeners I decided to weigh the whiskers and formed dampeners and was pleasantly surprised to find the whiskers weighed less - both whiskers combined weighed 26-gr while the formed dampeners combined weighed 32-gr. The D-loop added 6-gr for a total of 32-gr added string weight with whiskers.

Rebuilt Firecat left side.jpg

Rebuilt Firecat right side.jpg

Rebuilt Firecat back side showing bent cable rod & Bear string stops.jpg
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67,5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)